PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   GTOG8TA.COM Late Model Stuff (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=532)
-   -   06 GTO seat stitching (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807460)

70badboy 07-16-2017 08:54 PM

06 GTO seat stitching

The stitching on my buckets are starting to separate. How to fix? Thanks Steve

stich 07-22-2017 10:25 AM

Most leather seats as on the 06 are dried out beyond repair. That's why they are coming apart. If your leather is still very soft and workable, then a good shop can possibly repair them by taking the cover off first and resewing them. It's still a lot of work and no shop will guarantee that it will last. Hopefully yours can be repaired. New leather seats can cost a lot to recover.

Aaron Quinton 08-29-2017 09:34 PM

The stitching pulls apart because the leather dries out, becomes less flexible and overloads the stitching. To repair the seat you have two options, recover with new leather or get the old leather flexible and restitch what you have.

To renurish the leather you have, use Neatsfoot oil liberally to the pulled a part area. Apply several times to the failed area. Once the leather is renurished, the stitching can be replaced repairing the seat. Sometimes the leather is so dried out that you cannot get it flexible enough to restitch. At that point it's either find a new seat back for your car or get the existing seat recovered with new leather.

pont3 11-07-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton (Post 5780578)
The stitching pulls apart because the leather dries out, becomes less flexible and overloads the stitching. To repair the seat you have two options, recover with new leather or get the old leather flexible and restitch what you have.

To renurish the leather you have, use Neatsfoot oil liberally to the pulled a part area. Apply several times to the failed area. Once the leather is renurished, the stitching can be replaced repairing the seat. Sometimes the leather is so dried out that you cannot get it flexible enough to restitch. At that point it's either find a new seat back for your car or get the existing seat recovered with new leather.

Can you provide a ballpark figure on what one should expect to pay for this? You say it's expensive but what is the upholstery industry commanding in these instances?

My '04, which is in otherwise excellent shape, has this issue. If my original seat leather in good condition can be re-sewn, that's the route I'd like to take. However, if I need to invest in new leather, I'm not opposed to that option, either. So if you can put me in the neighborhood of what each might cost it would be truly appreciated.

eric_cspan 11-09-2017 10:20 AM

I'm not sure of the cost since I didn't get it done myself but it may just be easier and cheaper to buy a used seat in good condition

Sirrotica 11-09-2017 11:40 AM

The good used market is getting pretty scarce as these cars are 11 plus years old now. Prices usually start at $500 per pair for front seats and go up from there. The rear seats are usually cheaper as the high demand is for good used front seats, however finding good rear seats is also getting more scarce as these cars age.

Not parking the cars under cover definitely hastens the demise of the leather and stitching. My car has sat out in the sun since I bought it and wherever the sun hits the seats constantly is where the leather shrinks and the stitching deteriorates. The leather on my front seats is torn, so even if I rejuvenated it, it wouldn't be able to be repaired without some new leather panels being made for the drivers seat.

Kits for replacement covers are usually starting at $800 for two front seats and go up from there. https://www.autoseatskins.com/pontia...ts-p/cpo20.htm

I had my rear seats replaced while still under warranty, they are split again and the front seats are also split and need replaced on my 05. PY at one time was talking (Chris C) about getting seat covers made for the late model GTOs, I haven't heard anything recently though about them securing a vendor. It's going to be an ongoing wear area for these cars, and right now there aren't many vendors reproducing/selling covers.

The factory GM replacements, if you can still get them, were like $1500 per seat. Last I heard they weren't any more durable than the originals, and stock was hit and miss, if you decided to buy GM replacements.

indymanjoe 11-09-2017 05:15 PM

i was quoted 800 for just the fronts on mine.

ERIC AULL 02-10-2018 02:54 PM

Try Kats skins..they make seat covers for these cars..

Skip Fix 03-08-2018 02:09 PM

My 04 I ordered from GM the top pf the backs as well as the leather between them. Interior shop said as much material as he would have had to buy the $1000 was cheaper than buying it and him cutting the pattern.

burgboy73 06-24-2018 12:01 AM

I purchased these back in 2015 and I can't express enough how happy I am with this purchase.... The quality is very "stock appearing" I had the GTO embroidered on the fronts and had them installed by an auto upholstery shop for around $400.

https://www.amazon.com/2004-2006-Pon...00LP3FKDI?th=1 (Select Scarlet)

They didn't have rears, so I sent them my rear covers and they made templates from my seats and now they are selling the rears as well... I installed the rears myself - very easy job to do.... It's just clips and velcro...

Heybuck 02-06-2019 01:20 AM

Just noticed this thread (no pun intended;)). I had trouble with the seat stitching on my 1999 Caprice. Same car maker -Holden, same seats.

I found the stitching on the passenger side bolster started to come apart. When I had the cover taken off, whoever first assembled the seat did not put the foam rub material over the side air bag so the airbag cover was rubbing on the inside of the leather. Didn't cost much to fix it but that was about 15 years back. Still got the car today.