PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   OHC-6 TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=496)
-   -   Tear Down (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834430)

66sprint6 10-01-2019 09:48 AM

Tear Down

5 Attachment(s)
In an effort to declutter my garage, I'm beginning to tear down this Sprint engine and hopefully decrease the footprint of my car stuff. I've got two engines and a bunch of other pieces and not all of it is good.
This engine was in our '66 Tempest Sprint when we got it. We knew right way that it was no good. It smoked, seemed to run on only a couple of cylinders, and when I revved it a combination of oil and water came shooting out of the filler tube.
We replaced it with an excellent motor that some guy in NC pulled to replace it with a V8, and this one's been sitting on this engine stand since.
It's kinda fun, actually. My son and I work on it after dinner. I call him up from the rec room, yelling "Ter-Dern" with my teeth gritted together in my best redneck voice and he replies the same.
We took the carb and manifolds off the night before last, and last night the accessory drive, cam tower and other bolt on's, like the timing cover and related items. Getting pretty dirty doing it. This thing is a mess. More to follow.

66sprint6 10-01-2019 09:50 AM

I freakin' swear that I've tried everything to not have the pictures load up sideways. Pretty frustrating. I hope that I don't cause any sore necks.

wayne228 10-01-2019 11:06 AM

Thought I was all alone in my lack of skills . Now I know it's not just me when the pictures do not load the way I want.:D Great Father & son project ! Enjoy !

Keith Seymore 10-01-2019 11:43 AM

I would imagine tear down is directionally incorrect in terms of decluttering.

K

66sprint6 10-01-2019 02:55 PM

Good point. We’re making a heck of a mess. But when it’s done, most of this stuff is going. So it all works out.

66sprint6 10-02-2019 11:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So we got the cam tower off. I can’t tell if the cam is good or bad. No obvious signs of damage, but how do I check it? The cam followers appear OK. Same with the lash adjusters. They still had the factory clips.

66sprint6 10-02-2019 11:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Timing belt is toast. I’ve never seen one in this bad a shape. The Logo to the left of the yellow band says “Uniroyal”. I’ve also not seen one before showing a direction and the note about referring to the manual.

Jeff Hamlin 10-02-2019 07:16 PM

CAM CHECK

Look closely at each lobe for uneven wear, using a small machinist ruler/straight edge lay it across the lobe to look for any concave wear patterns. A wiped/heavily worn lobe in most cases is obvious. Hard to tell from a pic but it does look like it may be a runner.

Jeff Hamlin 10-02-2019 07:22 PM

TIMING BELTS

The OE belts are made by UNIROYAL and will last indefinitely unless exposed to oil (which is what that looks to be) and/or long term UV.
The normal position for installation on any of the belts is with the wording facing forward so the belt pitch is correctly set.

I use one to run test engines and have for many years.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...055a2146_b.jpg

694.1 10-02-2019 08:21 PM

Heck, that belt is good for another 100K!

66sprint6 10-02-2019 11:09 PM

Haha. Give me your address and I'll send it to you.

66sprint6 10-02-2019 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We scraped the years of grunge off of the block and found this. Also noticing that the area behind the oil filler pipe has no markings.

Jeff Hamlin 10-03-2019 05:27 AM

SERVICE REPLACEMENT ENGINE

Very cool!
Since it's tagged as "RE-MANUFACTURED" this leads me to think it was an aftermarket offering.
No code stamp in most cases indicates deck milling may have been preformed.
Piston top may be a clue to this as well.

I came across my first ever Factory SR block last year, it was stamped as such...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...12705d45_b.jpg

66sprint6 10-03-2019 02:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, so here's what the engine looked like inside the cylinders. What a mess. I'm finding that I can easily move the pistons back and forth within the cylinders when I place my hand on top of them. I also see that when turning the crank by hand, that the rings leave a lot of oil on the cylinder walls.
I haven't checked out the head yet, we just took it off and placed it aside before my wife reminded me that we're supposed to head over to a friend's place for the evening. Oops.

66sprint6 10-04-2019 11:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well...
I won’t be using this head anytime soon. No wonder the engine ran so terribly! I guess that the 92 year old guy that we got the car from finally had to quit driving it. Strange that it was registered as late as 2012.
That’s it for the tear down. A local enthusiast wanted the block and head so I told him to come and grab them. I made sure that he knew what he was getting. I kept everything else and I’ll probably put some stuff on eBay if I feel like cleaning the pieces up. So, somewhat decluttered. But not enough to get the car in the garage, dang it. Got to keep going.

Jeff Hamlin 10-06-2019 07:07 AM

:eek:

Runs, but smokes a bit ;)

Glad you found a home for some of these bits!

66sprint 10-06-2019 06:37 PM

The original “Cylinder Deactivation”