PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Coil over shock install (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838551)

blueghoast 03-06-2020 12:18 AM

Coil over shock install

Anyone here mount coil over spring and shocks on the rear of there A-Body?
I'm thinking of doing this to my car. Pic's and info please.

GT.

Jerry H. 03-06-2020 10:12 PM

If no one else chimes in I should have a picture of one on a 67 but it'll take me a while to dig up the pic.

blueghoast 03-12-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry H. (Post 6117568)
If no one else chimes in I should have a picture of one on a 67 but it'll take me a while to dig up the pic.

Thank You Waiting on your pics.

GT.

ZeGermanHam 03-12-2020 02:55 PM

There are plenty of photos and some videos online that show rear coilover installations on GM A-bodies. Just search on Google and YouTube. No need to wait around here for answers/examples.

Jerry H. 03-12-2020 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, it just slipped my mind. Anyway here is the best one that shows the rear coil overs. IIRC this is Detroit Speed stuff.

70gtojosh 03-12-2020 08:20 PM

Coil overs are cool and have some advantages. A couple thoughts, can the upper shock mount handle the weight of the vehicle. ( I known it's the same part as the spring mount but being further out on the corner may stress it more?) consider when you move the spring behind the axle the characteristics of tire loading changes. In the stock location ( in front of the axle) while accelerating the pinion moves up loading the spring, planting the tire. Having the spring behind the tire may help with planting the tire while braking. So there are a lot of variables to consider. Once again it matters how you intend to use the car. Whatever you decide, hope it all works good!

ZeGermanHam 03-12-2020 09:30 PM

Without further reinforcing the shock mount area, it's my view that mounting coilovers on an A-body is asking for trouble. Given that air shocks are known to cause stress fractures in this location, coilovers have got to be much more punishing and thus an even riskier proposition. That said, companies do offer reinforcement packages for this reason, so that would certainly be worth looking into.

Jerry H. 03-12-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry H. (Post 6119030)
Sorry, it just slipped my mind. Anyway here is the best one that shows the rear coil overs. IIRC this is Detroit Speed stuff.

This car was driven from near Atlanta, GA to Seattle, WA `1 week after it was finished and has been driven probably 2000 miles since then with no problems. The owner doesn't drive it hard, but then he's no granny either.

pokey1 03-13-2020 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 70gtojosh (Post 6119110)
Coil overs are cool and have some advantages. A couple thoughts, can the upper shock mount handle the weight of the vehicle. ( I known it's the same part as the spring mount but being further out on the corner may stress it more?) consider when you move the spring behind the axle the characteristics of tire loading changes. In the stock location ( in front of the axle) while accelerating the pinion moves up loading the spring, planting the tire. Having the spring behind the tire may help with planting the tire while braking. So there are a lot of variables to consider. Once again it matters how you intend to use the car. Whatever you decide, hope it all works good!

I know the top of the shock mounts on my coil overs have added steel plates welded in and have not seen any problems arise. Have other pics besides this one showing more that I have posted before but will have to go back and find them. So far have been happy with them. Right now have removed the ladder bars and am installing the HRpartsnstuff sway bar since this pic

blueghoast 04-03-2020 01:28 AM

Thanks and keep tth pic's coming, I'm wanting to build my own mounts.
I don't want to buy the kits cause I don't need all the other stuff.
I've already got all the trick stuff and don't want to change that.
Thanks Again;

GT.

brad900 04-20-2020 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a QA1 upper bracket installed