PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   G8 General Tech/Discussion (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=509)
-   -   G8 snow driving (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743089)

eric_cspan 12-09-2013 01:23 PM

G8 snow driving

Who's driving their G8 in the snow today???

jmt455 12-09-2013 10:27 PM

I did!
But there's hardly any snow here in SE Michigan.

PMDJIM 12-10-2013 09:14 AM

When I had my G8 I had replacement wheels and Blizzaks on all 4 corners. Car did amazinly well in snow because of it's weight.

eric_cspan 12-10-2013 11:16 AM

Sadly had to leave mine home today. 5 inches coming

1969GiPper 12-10-2013 12:34 PM

I haven't driven mine in snow yet this winter but have in previous winters. The key to driving one in the snow is to have the GT (or GTP) package which includes a posi rear axle. The non-GT/GTP (base models with the V6 engine) come with an open (non-posi) rear. And there wasn't a posi option to order for those V6 models. The other thing is you must have a minumum of "all- season" tires. The performance tires that came on some models won't move in the snow. So if you have a V6 model or a V6 model with performance tires you're best to leave the car in the garage when it snows. If you have a GT/GTP with performance tires, get a set of all-season tires and you should be okay.

eric_cspan 12-10-2013 01:24 PM

Seems like I made the right call.

LordPancake 12-18-2013 02:49 PM

I am lucky in the snow department as I leave outside Knoxville, TN so we rarely get wicked snow. And if we do, I just grab a different set of keys and cheat my way to work in a Jeep.

jmt455 12-18-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969GiPper (Post 5082127)
I haven't driven mine in snow yet this winter but have in previous winters. The key to driving one in the snow is to have the GT (or GTP) package which includes a posi rear axle. The non-GT/GTP (base models with the V6 engine) come with an open (non-posi) rear. And there wasn't a posi option to order for those V6 models. The other thing is you must have a minumum of "all- season" tires. The performance tires that came on some models won't move in the snow. So if you have a V6 model or a V6 model with performance tires you're best to leave the car in the garage when it snows. If you have a GT/GTP with performance tires, get a set of all-season tires and you should be okay.

^X2!
Our V6 was VERY hard to maneuver in the 6" of snow we got on Sunday.

I guess the "all-season" DWS Continentals aren't the best for driving in that much snow.
I'm getting new winter tires installed later this week; will post an update after the next snowfall.

eric_cspan 12-19-2013 10:04 AM

The winter tires do wonders compared to the all-season on those

camerjeff 01-09-2014 02:19 PM

our GT does just fine with the Blizzak's on it, wont move in 2" of snow with the summer only tires it came with. My wife has been driving it all week even on Monday in the 18" we received that night.

jmt455 01-09-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerjeff (Post 5104150)
our GT does just fine with the Blizzak's on it, wont move in 2" of snow with the summer only tires it came with. My wife has been driving it all week even on Monday in the 18" we received that night.

I agree, Jeff.
We installed a set of Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires and it made a HUGE difference.
No problems driving in the white stuff now!:D

eric_cspan 01-10-2014 09:52 AM

Backed her up a 45 degree incline today in a coating of snow. Was very impressed!

c5farmer 01-16-2014 10:10 PM

snow tires

Our 09 G8 GT was worthless on any amount of snow with the summer only tires. After mounting a set of Blizzaks, the car is almost a snow plow. It handles well and we feel safe driving it in any kind of conditions. The difference in snow is unbelievable due to the tires. Their design is certainly much improved over the "snow tires" of years past. Our sumer only car is now a year around driver.

Transporter 01-23-2014 06:19 PM

My baby's in the garage, I have a 4wd truck for that stuff.:D

eric_cspan 01-24-2014 02:03 PM

Lucky you. The Blizzaks do amazing things though.

eric_cspan 02-05-2014 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about G8 ice driving?? :D

daveT 02-02-2018 08:08 PM

Bought my G8 GT new in August 2009. It’s never seen snow or road salt. I live in NW Indiana and the G8 is put up around Thanksgiving (depending on weather) and comes out In April ( again depends on weather) after some heavy rains to wash salt off the roads and parking lots.

shook1 02-15-2019 10:42 PM

I drove my 09 G8 GT to work one day. By the end of the work day, an unexpected heavy snow storm was amidst. I was concerned how the rear wheel drive car would handle in the weather. Using the manual option on the shifter, I drove home. I downed shifted to help slow down without sliding, and kept it in a lower gear than usual while driving. To my amazement, the car drove effortlessly. The car is much better balanced than the hatchback Trans Am I used to own. That thing used to slide sideways if I just slightly turned the wheel on a slippery surface.