PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   04-06 Exterior Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=506)
-   -   Soon to be New Product " Goat Nose Grilles" (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537881)

Sirrotica 10-19-2007 03:15 PM

Soon to be New Product " Goat Nose Grilles"

3 Attachment(s)
Just putting this out there for 21 st Century GTO owners. I'm in the process of making prototypes for replacement grille inserts on these cars. They are more aggressive than the OEM or the Pontiac aftermarket SAP grilles that are no longer in production. I will offer 3 differnet choices of of mesh also. I'm just seeing if anyone on this board would have any interest in purchasing them.

qwikgta 10-19-2007 10:20 PM

Yes, but what about price? Also, I would suggest some kind of "honeycomb" like the original grills. No GTO on them too.

I would love a set.

RJ

Sirrotica 10-20-2007 06:50 PM

I will have a honeycomb option. The grilles are going to be $350, well below what the obsolete SAP Pontiac accsesory grilles are selling for on E Bay. My grilles are also deeper and have the largest opening possible, much larger than the SAP grilles. Hopefully I will have parts late November, early December. I will keep boardmembers posted on my progress. Thanks for your interest in "Goat Nose Grilles".

goatnut 10-20-2007 07:58 PM

i'm also interested.

LS2Greg 10-23-2007 10:16 PM

Nice! Looks good man!

engineer 10-29-2007 04:38 PM

would like a set with a real wire metal grille, similar to the 67 gto but mesh openings smaller so it looks right. not chromed plastic mesh and better quality metal mesh than your photo shows. Should be SS and not look like grates on barb b que pits.

Sirrotica 10-29-2007 07:31 PM

That mesh is just what I had in the garage when I finished them and is in there for a reference as to how much deeper the grille is as opposed to an SAP grille. It is not the mesh I plan to sell them with. I will also offer them also without any mesh if you'd like to put your own mesh in the holes, if any of the options I don't offer, don't suit your tastes. I'll soon have more pictures of the mesh offerings.

engineer 10-31-2007 03:46 PM

great, looking forward to your mesh options or how I can put my own mesh in there.

engineer 11-07-2007 08:36 PM

are the ones trueblue is selling the same as what your prototype is?

Sirrotica 11-09-2007 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No mine are my own design, and his are copies of the aftermarket "Sports Appearance Package" that Pontiac dealers were selling until around Dec of 2006. I believe the vendor to Pontiac went out of business and they then became scarce, and he (TrueBlueGTO) has reproduced them. There was a market for the SAP grilles and NOS parts were being sold on E bay as high as $1000 a set so he made reproductions of the obsolete part and has just started selling them last week. I never really cared for the Pontiac SAP grilles so I fabbed my own from scratch. Mine are deeper and more aggressive in design as compared to the Pontiac ones, they are more reminiscent of the older (60s and 70s) GTO grilles. The only thing they have in common is they're both grilles.

The first picture is a dark colored GTO W/SAP grilles. The second is my car with a stock grille on the left (passenger side), and my own design "Goat Nose Grille" on the right of picture (drivers side). Hopefully this answers your question.

JLHarper 11-09-2007 07:07 PM

I like this "set back" version better.

Will the honeycomb holes on grilles look like a "reasonable" match for the hood scoop holes (you say the holes are larger)?

Sirrotica 11-09-2007 10:05 PM

Yes the holes are as large as you can make them within the confines of the bumper cover on the car. The Pontiac ones didn't use all the space available, mine are really close to the outer edges of the bumper cover and set deeper into the hole. The SAP ones also have the screen area slanted to match the slope of the bumper cover whereas mine are perpendicular to the ground (true vertical) same as the grilles in the hood scoops. The honeycomb mesh will be a close match if not the same as the hood scoop grilles.

JLHarper 11-10-2007 08:22 PM

I would be interested.

Whats the ETA / time line?

OhMyGoat 11-10-2007 08:37 PM

Looks like a great mod. Matching the mesh with the hood scoop mesh is critical. If you can't match the scoops, you'll have to sell a mesh mod for the scoops as well.

cdoggy81 11-11-2007 08:22 PM

^^^^ true ^^^^
I REALLY like your deep design a LOT but... it would look perfect it you can get the mesh to match 100%. I commend you for making these. Very cool!!!

Sirrotica 11-11-2007 08:26 PM

Late November early December is the time I expect to have parts available, I'm working on this in my spare time so if life cooperates that's when I expect to have parts for sale. Thanks for your interest, I will keep board members updated on the progress. I believe I have located the correct mesh and am waiting for a sample to compare.

JLHarper 12-08-2007 01:14 PM

Sirrotica,

Hows the progress on the grilles?

Any changes in apperance or options?

Sirrotica 12-09-2007 09:26 AM

I'd like your opinion on mesh options, and progress report on parts...

JLHarper, My time line has been moved back a little. Although I am making progress I was not happy with the right side pattern I made and had to do a major revamp on it. Also the mounting tabs were a real pain to fabricate into my patterns and took more time than I had figured along with the water heater in the house taking a dump last month that took alot of my spare time away. I am still plugging away and am hoping to have some parts in the Christmas to New years time frame. I've fabricated many parts in my lifetime and it never goes as planned as far as time goes. The left side is complete and ready to make a mold of, and I'm working on the right side when time allows, I hope to have the right side close to being finished this weekend 12/08 -12/09/07. When the patterns are both finished casting the molds, and then casting the parts is all that remains, hopefully that can be accomplished in one weekend. It seems that a plastic grille (close to the same honeycomb pattern as the stock grilles) and a honeycomb steel mesh close to the mesh in the scoop openings are the most popular options with those that I've asked. Anyone that has ideas about mesh options please feel free to offer any mesh or grille pattern you'd like to see offered as an option and I'll do what I can to see what I can find for other options. Thanks for the interest in the "Goat Nose Grilles" and I will let everyone know more about them as they progress towards finished parts.

JLHarper 12-09-2007 01:24 PM

Thanks for the update.

Im in no great rush.

Sirrotica 12-20-2007 04:18 AM

Updated picture of the honeycomb inserts

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the grilles with the honecomb insert installed. The picture is of plated honeycomb, however they can be painted any color preference. Just to keep members that I am indeed making progress and will have parts for sale I hope within the next month. It seems that there is never enough spare time or setbacks to get it accomplished as fast as I'd like to. Thanks for your interest in "Goat Nose Grilles".