PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other models Pontiac Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=494)
-   -   Need some help with a Fiero (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743700)

3tas4me 12-18-2013 12:29 PM

Need some help with a Fiero

I have a 1988 Fiero Formula that a rodent chewed off the wire that goes to the O2 sensor. Try as I might, I cannot find where the wire goes into the wiring harness so that I can make a repair. Does anyone have a 1988 V6 car that could take a pic of the O2 wire where it comes from? Thanks!

critter 12-18-2013 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will help. From the factory service manual.

3tas4me 12-18-2013 07:10 PM

Thanks! I have the factory manual but have not seen that diagram in it anywhere. I will give another look around the engine compartment.

JohnS66GTO 12-19-2013 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture from my original '88 engine. The O2 sensor wire comes out of the main harness that's covered with foil tape, near where it attaches at the engine / trans joint, right alongside the steel coolant tube.

John

3tas4me 12-20-2013 02:04 PM

Thanks to both of you for the help. I will get out there and see if I can find that wire now.

3tas4me 02-25-2014 08:00 PM

I have searched and searched and still cannot find the wire coming out of the main harness. The above pic shows that it is clearly in the area where the trans harness branches off. Mine has disappeared!

JohnS66GTO 03-01-2014 08:44 PM

It may have been chewed off right where it comes out of the main harness, and just pulled the remainder back into the conduit. Did you open the harness conduit?

John

3tas4me 03-09-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnS66GTO (Post 5146376)
It may have been chewed off right where it comes out of the main harness, and just pulled the remainder back into the conduit. Did you open the harness conduit?

John

Finally opened it up yesterday. Per your picture and the service manual, the O2 wire appears to come out of the main harness where the fuel pump relay wires come out. Not on ours. We found the purple wire in the main harness and it continued down under the engine finally coming out not too far from the starter. Apparently ours was not built per what the manual shows. I pulled the wire back up and routed it where the manual shows it should be. Repair completed!

JohnS66GTO 03-10-2014 12:04 PM

Glad you found the wire.

I like Fieros, and have owned 3, but one thing I notice on the '88s is that there seems to be a lot of variation in build quality. Unfortunately, almost 1/2 of the '88s were built after Pontiac announced the car was being discontinued (and internally at GM the writing was on the wall significantly earlier). So I have to believe the suppliers tried to find ways to ship, and get paid for, every single part they could. If it was functional, it probably shipped, regardless of whether it was 100% "right".

John