PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   69-71 Judges only TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=434)
-   -   NICE BUILD... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853148)

Jeff Hamlin 09-09-2021 01:44 PM

NICE BUILD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Pra_61n4o

north 09-09-2021 02:57 PM

Beautiful work, just the amount of tidiness of the car throughout the process, and the shop in the background is striking. Very impressive to see such cleanliness and order in any bodyshop-resto shop.

The claim of there being only 8 white Judges built is BS though, same with 1 of 1 for red guts with white paint. In my PHS collection, of which I have 7 1/4 % of all 69 Judges built I have 10 white Judges. Extrapolate this out and I guess they built 170 white Judges. As for the red guts it is the most common color with white paint, it extrapolates to over 55 white Judges with red guts. Takes nothing away from this beautiful car though, just pointing out the fish stories that are always out there.

Joe's Garage 09-09-2021 05:39 PM

Dad parted out a white/red 1969 Judge almost forty years ago.....

RA III, 4spd, red guts with buckets, tach and gauges, soft ray glass, 8-track player, no console, 3.55 non-posi.

It had rusty quarters and there was an issue with obtaining the title as the previous owner made a deal to sell it to Dad and then pawned the title before he took delivery of the car. After he sold the car, he filed bankruptcy, so there was nowhere to go with the seller.

The pawn guys wanted something silly like $3k for the title, even though they had only lent $1000 on it less than a month previously.

So it went to pieces over a couple weekends.

My Dad says that the guy that bought the complete 'WS' engine had tears in his eyes when he drove down from Colorado to pick it up. It was going into his inherited 1969 Judge that his father bought new. His dad had blown the original engine (stupid cast connecting rods) when it was just a couple years old. The engine was the single incorrect item on the Judge, which only had something like 20k miles on it at that point.

So there were at least 2 with white body and red guts, although one was euthanized.....humanely, of course. ;)

Thanks for the video link (and the memories).

Jack Ferris 09-13-2021 06:40 PM

There was one in Salt Lake about 35-40 years ago.

69droptopraiii 09-18-2021 09:13 AM

Cool video.The car took concours gold at one of the gtoaa’s.Both the owner and builder were/are perfectionists and no expense was spared on it.

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-22-2021 01:14 AM

My internet/browser doesn't do well with youtube, so haven't seen the car.
But it sounds guaranteed to be extra extremely nice.

On these claims sometimes made
Folks go to the 69 Judge Registry site and see X number of cars their color etc
- then base their claims on those stats.

Not really the best idea if trying to keep the sunny side up, and the air fresh.

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-22-2021 10:01 PM

Sure enough, went onto the 69 Judge Registry and there are only 7 White cars listed (making the topic car #8 ) . And none of those had Red interior listed.
So that is how they came up with their numbers

The real numbers would be on a low side ... but not that low

Years ago saw pictures of a 69 White/Red Interior with Red/Black decals , Redline Tires and HideAways ... it was a very very good looking Judge

north 09-23-2021 07:52 AM

Good detective work!

JohnnyAction 09-23-2021 12:25 PM

How many Judges were built with a 3spd manual transmission as in this car? I thought that the "Judge" option only came with a 4spd or Turbo 400 automatic.

north 09-23-2021 12:52 PM

My collection of 69 Judge invoices (a bit over 500) shows 5% of them were 3 speed manual. Interestingly this is more than one and a half times the percentage of regular GTO's with 3 speed manuals. Perhaps the price of the Judge option cut down on how much dealers were willing to add additional options in order to keep total selling price in line with the market. Also the Judge was obviously targeting a younger customer who typically spent less on cars.

north 09-23-2021 01:14 PM

Just for fun I looked at the difference between Judges and non Judges in terms of option count and total cost:

Judges had on average 10.8 options (including the judge option itself) but this includes the pattern judges that averaged 11.9 options (Judges that were not pattern had 10.4 options including the Judge option).
Non Judges averaged 13.8 options or three and a half more options than judges that weren't factory forced with 12 options), that is a 31% difference, or 47% if you discount the judge option itself.

Cost-wise things are quite interesting... non Judges retailed (not including shipping costs) for $4,211 on average, Judges averaged $4,197 (Pattern cars at $4,269 and non pattern at $4,176). If you deduct the $337 of the judge option itself it is interesting to see that Judge buyers (and or the dealers) ordered their cars with $350 less of other options than non GTO's in order to stay in that low $4,000's price range. This is indicative that the median market acceptance for a muscle car like the GTO in 69 was not very elastic. The typical GTO buyer just wasn't going to spend hundreds more on a Judge than a regular GTO buyer but was willing to give up some other niceties in order to get the extra performance look and feel of a judge.

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-23-2021 02:33 PM

3spd M13 Floor Shift was the standard equipment on all 69 GTO / Judges.
Most of the Pattern Judges were optioned with 4spd or Auto - but even some of the Pattern cars were 3spd M13 equipped.

i think there might be a breakdown on M13 cars all together.
But not just M13 Judges themselves.

My non-Pattern Carousel Judge was M13 3spd
There was no requirement to get an optional transmission on a 69 Judge (or 70 or 71)
But vast majority did have an optional transmission.

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-23-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 6282142)
There was no requirement to get an optional transmission on a 69 Judge (or 70 or 71) ....

That was in regard to RamAir3 and 455HO cars
RamAir4 had to have an optional transmission .

fwiw - just to be more thorough

MUSLCAH 09-23-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin (Post 6278680)

I drive by that shop every day….on the way to my shop…lol

Jack Ferris 11-04-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Garage (Post 6278729)
RA III, 4spd, red guts with buckets, tach and gauges, soft ray glass, 8-track player, no console, 3.55 non-posi.

It had rusty quarters and there was an issue with obtaining the title as the previous owner made a deal to sell it to Dad and then pawned the title before he took delivery of the car. After he sold the car, he filed bankruptcy, so there was nowhere to go with the seller.

The pawn guys wanted something silly like $3k for the title, even though they had only lent $1000 on it less than a month previously.

So it went to pieces over a couple weekends.

My Dad says that the guy that bought the complete 'WS' engine had tears in his eyes when he drove down from Colorado to pick it up. It was going into his inherited 1969 Judge that his father bought new. His dad had blown the original engine (stupid cast connecting rods) when it was just a couple years old. The engine was the single incorrect item on the Judge, which only had something like 20k miles on it at that point.

So there were at least 2 with white body and red guts, although one was euthanized.....humanely, of course. ;)

Thanks for the video link (and the memories).

I remember that car.

gtohurstjudge 11-08-2021 04:51 PM

Beautiful restoration........one thing however, all of the original interior red interior 69's that
I have seen have padded dashes and upper dashboard paint that are a darker shade of red than the rest
of the interior. I can't recall if the kick panels were darker or lighter. I think Pontiac did this to cut down on sun reflection in the windshield when driving.

north 11-08-2021 05:00 PM

There are two different red interior colors in 1969 Pontiac's, Burgundy and Red (Burgundy was used on some big cars and GP's). The dashboards and surrounding parts as well as the carpet were actually Burgundy regardless of the interior color being Red or Burgundy. Where Red and Burgundy interiors used different colors was on the seat, covers, door panels, console etc. This is laid out quite clearly in the Colors and Trim Sales Album.

Greg Reid 12-10-2021 03:34 AM

The quarter panels seem to be missing the characteristic concave shape below the beltline, usually noticable ahead of the wheel opening.. ..or is it just me? Either way, gorgeous car and absolutely flawless execution on the build.