PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   SD Performance (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834808)

gto65 10-14-2019 07:08 AM

SD Performance

Looking to get a set of cast iron heads ported. Not sure what SD Performance is doing. Tried for the last two weeks to contact them, no response. Is Dave Bishop still in business. Had them do some head work for me in the past, very satisfied. If there out of buisnes who are the leaders in cylinder head work.

thanks

Mike Davis 10-14-2019 08:35 AM

I believe they are still in business. I tried to contact them for 3 months, Emailed numerous times and left quite a few messages. Never heard back from anyone.

JSchmitz 10-14-2019 08:50 AM

Good luck! I tried for quite a while to get a Stump Puller cam. No luck for me.

slowbird 10-14-2019 08:53 AM

If you're interested in someone else porting them, contact Paul K. He can do them for you.

Half-Inch Stud 10-14-2019 09:03 AM

Tom Slawco Racing heads knows these Iron heads. He did my 48s while at Brandywine CYL Heads.
His CNC shop is in Maple Grove (Morgantown) PA

Dragncar 10-14-2019 12:12 PM

He is still in business. E mail is the best way. He is a one man deal so its rough on him.
Got my High Ports back from him a couple months back. He did a set of 48s for me years ago. They went 272cfm, no epoxy.
Dave Wilcox does iron heads. He can get you 300cfm, but I bet you get epoxy. He can do smaller ports without it.
If you want me to get ahold of Dave for you I will give it a shot. He gets back to me, might take a couple days though.

pastry_chef 10-14-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6071560)
Dave Wilcox does iron heads. He can get you 300cfm, but I bet you get epoxy. He can do smaller ports without it.

https://headsandmanifolds.wordpress....-head-porting/

Lee 10-14-2019 05:18 PM

Dave has been sick. I think it started as a cold about 3 weeks ago, he tried to work through it and it got worse. He got back to the shop last week, but I think he missed most, if not all, of the week before. He is trying to get caught up!

chiefbigb 10-14-2019 06:07 PM

By the time you buy all new stuff and do them right with the cost of port work your right there with new aluminum heads. More modern combustion chamber and loss of nose weight. It's tough not to pull the trigger. I do my own porting and it's not hard to hit 250 at .550 the other 20 is time consuming and things start to get thin in places.

gto65 10-14-2019 07:02 PM

thank you for all the input.

Ill try e mailing Dave.

Skip Fix 10-14-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefbigb (Post 6071627)
By the time you buy all new stuff and do them right with the cost of port work your right there with new aluminum heads. More modern combustion chamber and loss of nose weight. It's tough not to pull the trigger. I do my own porting and it's not hard to hit 250 at .550 the other 20 is time consuming and things start to get thin in places.

This! When I built the 455 going in the 81 it came with some well ported 6Xs. Tossing those heavy suckers on the flowbench to compare them to some out of the box Edebrock heads that flowed as good and were WAY lighter made the choice for me.

Scott Roberts 10-14-2019 08:39 PM

There are many options beyond S.D. a local shop could do a fine job as long as they are a reputable shop... heads are heads... you dont need a "PONTIAC" shop for induction....

performerrpm 10-14-2019 09:44 PM

he still in buisness, i just got my 72cc now 96cc eheads back like 2 weeks ago. turn around times alot longer just being him tho. email is best. uptil time to pay our whole deal was done thru email

Drag Star Le Mans 10-15-2019 04:25 AM

I heard he was out at Mission Raceway last Friday. His kid was running a 78 Trans Am in the low 12s. This next Saturday is the last test and tune at Mission and I hope to get up there weather permitting? I'm sure he will be there. And like the others have said he is still in business.

gassman_67 10-15-2019 09:13 AM

I tried also to get a hold of SD....I gave up and gave my business to Jeff Kauffman, they respond to email and phone calls.

MescaBug 10-15-2019 02:54 PM

Sent Dave an email, got a reply 12 hours later. They are still in business, and usually respond within 24 hours.

Sometimes emails will get in to the Junk folder... Just a thought.

https://i.ibb.co/Dtksv4G/Capture.jpg

mgarblik 10-15-2019 06:17 PM

Nothing against Dave at SD or anyone else who ports ancient Pontiac iron
...........but wouldn't it be sooooooo nice to open a box and pull out a pair of NEW IRON Pontiac heads with flow numbers equivalent to ancient ported heads for about $800.00 to $1000.00 less a pair ? Any vendors listening out there?

77 TRASHCAN 10-15-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6071978)
Nothing against Dave at SD or anyone else who ports ancient Pontiac iron
...........but wouldn't it be sooooooo nice to open a box and pull out a pair of NEW IRON Pontiac heads with flow numbers equivalent to ancient ported heads for about $800.00 to $1000.00 less a pair ? Any vendors listening out there?

I'm on board with you there!!! World products needs a bunch of us Pontiac'ers pestering the crap out of them about this!!! A set of "D" ports that could out flow even RAIV's would be good to start with!!' Might put the hurt on the alum head folks!!!

ponjohn 10-15-2019 08:59 PM

Dave is down to just him?
What about Marcel?

Goatzilla racing was talking about (possibly) casting a new iron head.

Scott Roberts 10-15-2019 09:15 PM

Did I mention you dont need a "Pontiac" shop to do heads.... a port is a port no matter what color you paint the head....
This isn't that complicated...