PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   dFN387C port long branch manifolds ETA (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842474)

mysticmissle 07-17-2020 08:37 AM

dFN387C port long branch manifolds ETA

Can any Ames employee come up with a date for the next batch of these manifolds to arrive? I was told potentially late July?

Slick 07-24-2020 01:20 PM

Guess you know the answer!

mgarblik 07-24-2020 02:46 PM

I did a search on the Ames site for that part number and every variation I could think of. It comes up empty. No such #. My curiosity is because I have been waiting for long branch round port manifolds for almost 2 years. It's flat mind boggling that these manifolds require the earth to pivot off it's axis to get a run of them made. It's not like starting from scratch. At least two separate vendors have had this done in the past. I assume all in China. Just can't wrap my head around the incredible difficulty. Are you sure that's the right part number and vendor?

Ccass 07-24-2020 03:14 PM

There's a nice reproduction pair on ebay for a buy it now of $1300 and a set of Round Port for $5000.! Better grab them quick! :)

mgarblik 07-24-2020 06:06 PM

There seems to be a steady supply of them in those price ranges. Availability in the realm of reality is probably what several hundred buyers are waiting for. For $1500.00-1800.00, a very nice set of custom stainless headers can be fabricated with superior performance to the manifolds. The manifolds have the advantage of tighter packaging and the correct look. If someone is building an ultra rare car they think is a 6 figure piece, then 5K for a pair of manifolds isn't a big deal. The majority of the people who have been waiting 2+ years for reproductions have cars worth 25-40K. 5K for two relatively simple castings, (compared to heads and blocks), is a bit of a head scratcher. Are D-Port and/or round port long branch manifolds in the works or are we looking at years down the road? I for one appreciate the parts you are able to bring to market.

Ccass 07-24-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6163880)
Are D-Port and/or round port long branch manifolds in the works or are we looking at years down the road? .

I do not think there are any plans by anyone to do the round port long branch manifolds. I was surprised to see the D-port long branch ones not available. If something happened to the tooling, that would explain the long delay and maybe a nail in the coffin. While we've been out of the retail business for almost 6 years now, when we were PY and one of the top 3 Pontiac parts suppliers, those long branch manifolds only sold about 15-20 times a year. So add up the top 3 plus some ebay and amazon retailers and you are looking at well under 100 pairs per year. Tooling cost to make them are in the range of $30,000. It's not practical to run less than 500 pairs especially in the USA. Then the cost of the castings at the Foundry and machining at around $100/pair that's another $50,000. Then they need to be coated so they don't rust when they get damp. Add in some heavy duty boxes and transportation costs. Your well over $80k up front investment for the sales of a generous estimate of 100 sets per year at an absolute maximum of $300/set (wholesale). That's a 3 year beak even. Not many business's are going to make that investment at this late stage of our hobby.

mgarblik 07-24-2020 06:47 PM

I really appreciate you putting some numbers out there so myself and others can understand a little better the investment/production/distribution costs of a part like this. One thing I didn't take into consideration as far as the pattern for the mold, is a distinct right and left mold. So 15K for each pattern makes a little more sense. With a head, it's one pattern. Using your numbers in the middle, 150 sets @ 600.00 each retail is 90K. Sold at retail, a run of 500 pair would be 300K. But it could take 5 years as you said for an 80K/100K investment. That helps make it clear how a smaller manufacturer/retailer like Ram Air Restorations can make out pretty well by not having to wholesale/discount them to many vendors. The unfortunate thing is all the good aftermarket heads are round port. The constant compromises are what keep our beloved engines struggling to reach greatness. Again appreciate your candid detailed information.

mysticmissle 07-25-2020 06:06 AM

Part. Number is typo. Fn387 d port long branch Chris can you share some purchase order promise dates or just ruminate about ebay?

Ccass 07-26-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmissle (Post 6163994)
Part. Number is typo. Fn387 d port long branch Chris can you share some purchase order promise dates or just ruminate about ebay?

You'd have to get an Ames staff member to dig a little deeper to find out what the story is on those long branch manifolds.

The company that emerged out of the Ames PY merger was Max Performance. We make our own Pontiac reproduction parts and sell them to dealers only. We did make the HO/RA D port manifolds for a few years but we had horrendous problems with production issues and were forced to cancel the project.

A company called Classic Reproductions as well as Ram Air Restorations still makes the RA and HO manifolds. They each have their own tooling and their own means of distribution. CR sells to all the Pontiac catalog companies. RARE sells retail direct. Both have run into productions issues for the better part of 25 years.

AMES-TECH 07-27-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmissle (Post 6163994)

We are currently checking on an ETA for FN387C manifolds. I should hopefully have an answer for you before the end of business day. Thanks!

mysticmissle 07-27-2020 09:03 AM

thank you sir

AMES-TECH 07-27-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmissle (Post 6164556)
thank you sir

The manufacturer just got back to me; we're looking at about two weeks for the long branch manifolds.

mysticmissle 07-27-2020 11:20 AM

thank you

mgarblik 07-27-2020 12:07 PM

I just got an e-mail response from Paul at Ram Air Restorations about D-port and Round Port long branch manifolds. I will post his response below. Sounds to me like he has production of both styles in the pouring stage or close? Just passing along what I can gather.

Hi Mike, we have a foundry in WI in process of pouring LH dport Long Branch castings with a delivery second week of Aug. It takes us 4-5 days to do the machine work on them.

I would suggest getting orders in on our website. We don't process payment until shipping and you will keep a position in a growing line.

The round ports are being worked on in an IN foundry that has been slowed with covid probs...no delivery date yet. thanks, Paul at RARE

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 7:46:29 AM MST, Sales <sales@ramairrestoration.com> wrote:

mgarblik 08-29-2020 04:10 PM

Well, it's been another month. Are any versions of the long branch exhaust manifolds back in stock. Just checking.

mysticmissle 08-29-2020 09:32 PM

No they say mid September now. I’m just going to run headers at this point.

mgarblik 08-30-2020 10:30 AM

Just got another e-mail back from RAR. They have raw castings in hand now and are in the machining process. Mid Sept. for distribution to their various vendors like Ames, (I assume), sounds right. If your intent on manifolds, it will just be a couple more weeks. I am going to wait for D ports since they at least have castings in hand. I am giving up on round ports unfortunately.

Ccass 08-30-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6173959)
Just got another e-mail back from RAR. They have raw castings in hand now and are in the machining process. Mid Sept. for distribution to their various vendors like Ames, (I assume), sounds right. If your intent on manifolds, it will just be a couple more weeks. I am going to wait for D ports since they at least have castings in hand. I am giving up on round ports unfortunately.

My understanding is that RARE only retails their manifolds. So if you are waiting for an order from Ames, that's a whole different scenario.

mysticmissle 10-12-2020 07:35 PM

Picked these up the other day. Wish the wait wasn’t so
Long but the quality will help
Me get over that New motor going in soon

misterp266 10-17-2020 10:17 AM

Did you get D port or round port? I saw the D port on the website again but no round port yet. I’m still waiting.....