PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   04-06 Engine Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=507)
-   -   Ticking sound from under hood (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666034)

charles bledsoe 05-13-2011 02:19 AM

Ticking sound from under hood

I have a 2006 GTO with 14K miles on it and have started hearing a sound from under the hood which sounds like valves ticking. Has anyone experience this at such low miles? I have never had it up to the red line and usually shift prior to reaching 4000 RPM's although I have had it up to 5000 RPM's a time or two, or three.
Thanks

Verdoro 68 05-13-2011 02:12 PM

LS2s (and LS engines in general) are notorious for the sewing machine-like valve train clatter. Are you sure it's a new sound?

That said, I have heard a lot about oiling issues with LS2s - primarily oil pumps giving up the ghost - so it's feasible something could be going on.

Can you give more specifics on the sound? Does it sound like one valve tapping or is it a consistent clattering? Louder/more frequent with more RPMs or always the same?

charles bledsoe 05-13-2011 04:43 PM

verdoro 68-
Thanks for the reply. I just started noticing it a few weeks back. I do not drive it very much, and first noticed it on the Hwy on a stretch that had a concrete barrier. I had the window down while the A/C was getting up to a good cold Temp. It was a very faint ticking sound. When I got home I let the window down and listened, it sounded like maybe one valve might be making the noise. I will check out what you recommend and let you know what I find out.
Thanks

PontGuy 05-13-2011 09:43 PM

I bought my 06 new and the valve train has been a bit noisy since I first drove off the lot. No different after 50+K miles. I notice it when the engine is running in the garage and at drive-thru windows and such, but can't really hear it otherwise. Maybe you are just now noticing it.

Never over 5000 RPM's? Wow, that may be part of the problem! I drive mine nice, but the LS-2 does seem to love eating up highway entrance ramps! :)

Skip Fix 05-17-2011 07:35 PM

Also the injectors cycling make some clicking.

IOWA552SLOW 05-18-2011 01:17 PM

my 04 (yes i know ls1) has a "noisy" valve train. has since i bought at 28k miles. never any better, never any worse. don't hear it on the highway on when idling. in the driveway or drivethru situations. i was told once that the ls motors are know for noisier drive trains. i have alway thought that mine was noisy. i put an oil pressure guage in mine, carries 40+ lbs of pressure at idle and will hit 100+lbs at full throttle. an actual pressure guage may help put your mind at ease if you know the pressure.

71GP76TA 06-01-2011 09:14 PM

14,000 miles??? The problem is.... you don't drive it enough! 5k rpm??? You aren't driving it hard enough either :D

TA-71 06-08-2011 03:21 PM

My 06 developed that same sound, took it into the dealer and found the cam and flat spotted a lobe. Ended up replacing the cam under warranty.

brandont 09-12-2013 03:40 PM

It is typical for the LS motors to have noisy lifters. It doesn't mean they are bad but if it gets worse, then its time to swap them out.