PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Aluminum Heads (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840805)

blueghoast 05-19-2020 06:24 PM

Aluminum Heads

I got an offer from E-Bay on a set of speed master heads for $1799.00
and another for a set of edlbrocks for $1766.44 .
Both free shipping and both with the CNC 72cc chambers.
E-head are ready to Bolton.
Speed masters without rocker studs@ guide plates.
What do you guy's think of this, Let me know.

GT.

64speed 05-19-2020 06:32 PM

Edelbrock all the way

blueghoast 05-19-2020 06:37 PM

I'm leaning that way because of the price, But I really want to try a set
Of the speed masters too. I sent them a note for a offer, Guess I'll see
What happens.

GT.

grivera 05-19-2020 07:06 PM

This one is a no-brainer, the e-heads. You can always try a set of the Speedmaster heads during their 2020 Black Friday sale...

tom s 05-19-2020 07:07 PM

Are they both brand new?

67gtospud 05-19-2020 09:07 PM

The Edelbrock have been proven over and over again. I have zero complaints with my Edelbrocks

Mike Davis 05-19-2020 10:18 PM

Where did you find a pair of Eheads for that price?? I looked on Ebay and did not see them.

Try to contact Randy Repp here on the board and see what he will do on pricing on the Speed Master heads.

JLMounce 05-19-2020 10:48 PM

Last year shortly after the Soeedmaster heads debuted, Edelbrock did a price drop on their heads. They were the older style chambered heads however, not the modern heart shaped combustion chamber head.

That’s probably the thing I’d really verify. If the Edelbrock complete head at that price is the new chamber I’d go that direction. If it’s not, I’d try the speed masters.

blueghoast 05-20-2020 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6142716)
Where did you find a pair of Eheads for that price?? I looked on Ebay and did not see them.

Try to contact Randy Repp here on the board and see what he will do on pricing on the Speed Master heads.

I'll look up the info and post it for you guy's.
I'll post both sets of the heads.

GT.

NeighborsComplaint 05-20-2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6142621)
I got an offer from E-Bay on a set of speed master heads for $1799.00
and another for a set of edlbrocks for $1766.44 .
Both free shipping and both with the CNC 72cc chambers.
E-head are ready to Bolton.
Speed masters without rocker studs@ guide plates.
What do you guy's think of this, Let me know.

GT.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I'll bet they are small block Chevy heads for Pontiac corporate motors. If not, let me know. you can order 2 pairs and make the seller happy. Drop ship one pair to me. I'll PayPal you tomorrow. I need the 84 cc DPorts for 455, flat tappet springs.

Mike Davis 05-20-2020 07:42 AM

I have 2 sets of E heads on race engines and 1 set of Speedmaster for a street car project. I hate to say this as I am a made in the USA guy but my Speedmaster castings look a lot better and took very little clean up to get to 300cfm.

NeighborsComplaint 05-20-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Davis (Post 6142779)
I have 2 sets of E heads on race engines and 1 set of Speedmaster for a street car project. I hate to say this as I am a made in the USA guy but my Speedmaster castings look a lot better and took very little clean up to get to 300cfm.

I've had my eye on the Speedmaster heads since Speedway Motors first started selling them. Unfortunately, the CR on a 455 with 72cc heads is over the edge for pump gas. The other thing that bothered me was the Speedmaster Oldsmobile heads are less in demand (assumed) and sell for nearly half the price of the Pontiac. Just rubs me the wrong way. Cost of manufacture is no different, minimum run size no different, R&D costs are amortized over expected sales (I would expect less sales volume for Olds than Pontiac ... maybe I'm wrong?) and inventory carrying costs are the same … why would the Olds heads be cheaper?

Sirrotica 05-20-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint (Post 6142873)
I've had my eye on the Speedmaster heads since Speedway Motors first started selling them. Unfortunately, the CR on a 455 with 72cc heads is over the edge for pump gas. The other thing that bothered me was the Speedmaster Oldsmobile heads are less in demand (assumed) and sell for nearly half the price of the Pontiac. Just rubs me the wrong way. Cost of manufacture is no different, minimum run size no different, R&D costs are amortized over expected sales (I would expect less sales volume for Olds than Pontiac ... maybe I'm wrong?) and inventory carrying costs are the same … why would the Olds heads be cheaper?

Looks like Speedmaster is following Edelbrocks lead, and pricing Pontiac heads higher than very other major brand. Same crap, different day.

getmygoat 05-20-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint (Post 6142873)

… why would the Olds heads be cheaper?

Its what the market will bear, the manufacture needs the volume enabled by that price point to justify the costs associated with maintaining the product line.

Steve C. 05-20-2020 03:09 PM

The law of supply and demand is actually an economic theory that was popularized by Adam Smith in 1776.

Sirrotica 05-20-2020 03:11 PM

Even AMC is much cheaper than Pontiac, I'm fairly certain neither AMC, or Olds out sells Pontiac. The market isn't working in the average Pontiac owners favor.

blueghoast 05-20-2020 05:31 PM

Allum-Heads

rpmspeedshopindy for the speedmaster heads and barnettperformance
for the E-Heads. Hope this helps.
I missed out on the e-heads guess I waited to long.

GT

blueghoast 05-20-2020 05:33 PM

Allum-Heads

I just type in speedmaster heads for Pontiac that's how I got started.

GT.

grivera 05-20-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueghoast (Post 6142958)
rpmspeedshopindy for the speedmaster heads and barnettperformance
for the E-Heads. Hope this helps.
I missed out on the e-heads guess I waited to long.

GT

Were the e-heads being advertised as new?

64speed 05-20-2020 06:53 PM

There is no way AMC is outselling Pontiac unless there’s a lot of Jeep builders making speedsters instead of rock climbers