PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Race header build (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623771)

GTO 02-02-2010 08:45 PM

Race header build

5 Attachment(s)
Just started on my headers. New IAII 535 make my 2" hedman obsolete and the Langer pan gives me fitment problems. Bought a Jegs kit ($130) with 2 1/4 inch pipes and four 2 1/8 U-bends ($16ea). flanges are from All Pontiac ($90). So far I cut them for a rough fit to see what's what. I'm tossing the weld on collectors and have slip ons coming in ($130). It's a tube chassis car and I have ground clearance problems so I have to tuck them in. Diaper also needs clearance. I'm only looking to run 8.90's (LOL) on motor and like the clean look of straight pipes so the headers will not be clocked or equal length.

I'll keep everybody posted on progress and cost if you're interested. This will be my first set so we'll see. ... Eric

GTO 02-02-2010 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more.

mysticmissle 02-02-2010 09:11 PM

keep posting, this will be a great thread for us do it yourself guys. thanks

Pearlbluebird 02-02-2010 09:13 PM

Eric, I'm sure they will turn out great after seeing the quality of your other work you've done. I'll hopefully be starting my own set in a couple of weeks. Few other jobs to finish first. I'm trying something different for a mockup. I went to a pool supply place and bought 25' of plastic flex hose. Buck a foot. They sell it in different sizes. My plan was to mount my collectors in position and run the plastic flex pipe from the flange to the collector. Secure all 4 in place and drill some holes in them to shoot in expanding foam. The foam will make them rigid and hold their shape. Hopefully one at a time will come out and I will have a perfect template. It might work.
Keep us posted. If you figure out any tricks let us know.

Hooter 02-02-2010 10:13 PM

I've gotta build a set this spring also for my chassis car. Definitely keep us posted on any tricks you pick up. Would be nice to know what part number pieces you are ordering too.

62fatcat 02-03-2010 12:10 AM

Looks great.
as was mentioned in another thread, the cheap flexible exhaust hose can realy help out as far as fitment.

FBNRacing 02-03-2010 12:26 AM

Eric wrap your painted chassis tubes with a old towel then masking tape over the top of the cloth this way you wont chip the hell out of the car. Good luck

Rex

GTO 02-03-2010 10:08 AM

Thanks for the tips so far. Still waiting on my collectors. Hope they're in for the weekend. The Jegs pipes seem to line up pretty good. Hopefully only one weld per tube. Will post part#'s later. If it all works out for me! LOL.... Eric

twooldgoats 02-03-2010 11:34 AM

Looking good! Keep the pix coming.

Jim

cgeise 02-03-2010 02:01 PM

Not to change the subject -- but it seems strange that the pipes are so far below the frame - Is the engine setting very low ? or the frame unusually high ?? All mine have the header going outside the frame tubes ?

GTO 02-03-2010 02:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgeise (Post 3898229)
Not to change the subject -- but it seems strange that the pipes are so far below the frame - Is the engine setting very low ? or the frame unusually high ?? All mine have the header going outside the frame tubes ?

The bottom 2 tubes are 3/4" lower than the pan. The top two tubes will be flush with the center of the frame rail. that will make the 4" collector flush with the bottom of the frame rail. I think it's normal? Here's some pics of the old pan and pipes. Car is fairly low. I have min. ground clearance up front. ... Eric

cgeise 02-03-2010 02:54 PM

out of curiosity - what is the crank c/l to ground number ??

GTO 02-03-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgeise (Post 3898262)
out of curiosity - what is the crank c/l to ground number ??

I'll have to measure this weekend when I'm back in the shop. I know that when I re did the chassis I dropped the motor a little. Can't remember how much though. ... Eric.

wannabefast 02-03-2010 08:23 PM

Eric, you might want to consider side exits right behind the front wheels. My car was very similar to yours maybe a little lower. One project I had on the list for this winter was to make new headers exiting through the fender right behind the front wheels. The reason it was on the list for me was because they extended lower than the tube chassis and as a result they dragged when going in and out of the trailer or on speed bumps at some tracks. Love the car and keep up the good work.

GTO 02-03-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabefast (Post 3898569)
Eric, you might want to consider side exits right behind the front wheels. My car was very similar to yours maybe a little lower. One project I had on the list for this winter was to make new headers exiting through the fender right behind the front wheels. The reason it was on the list for me was because they extended lower than the tube chassis and as a result they dragged when going in and out of the trailer or on speed bumps at some tracks. Love the car and keep up the good work.

I like the side exits and have looked at it but again not much room. I already have 3 1/2" pipes going back and dumping through the rockers. Kinda nice if your running alcohol. Stops the burn! LOL.

GTO 02-03-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlbluebird (Post 3897647)
Eric, I'm sure they will turn out great after seeing the quality of your other work you've done. I'll hopefully be starting my own set in a couple of weeks. Few other jobs to finish first. I'm trying something different for a mockup. I went to a pool supply place and bought 25' of plastic flex hose. Buck a foot. They sell it in different sizes. My plan was to mount my collectors in position and run the plastic flex pipe from the flange to the collector. Secure all 4 in place and drill some holes in them to shoot in expanding foam. The foam will make them rigid and hold their shape. Hopefully one at a time will come out and I will have a perfect template. It might work.
Keep us posted. If you figure out any tricks let us know.

Thanks for the kind words. Let me know how it goes with the flex hose. Sounds like a good idea. More than one way to skin a cat! LOL. Hope to see you at the track this year.. ... Eric.

Chupa 02-04-2010 09:53 AM

Not to change subjects, but this is the nicest F-bird I have ever seen!

Absolutely bad ass!

Who built the chassis? Chrome-moly? Do you take lay-away?

GTO 02-04-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupa (Post 3898990)
Not to change subjects, but this is the nicest F-bird I have ever seen!

Absolutely bad ass!

Who built the chassis? Chrome-moly? Do you take lay-away?

Thanks. Chassis is home made mild steel and ladder bars. Bought it in 2001 and had to re do it to fix some issues. Got it out in 2008 after some delays. Came out just in time to address new rule changes. 7.50 tag runs out this year and I have to cut out the cage and replace it to make the new SFI 7.50 cert. ... Eric.

FBNRacing 02-04-2010 04:52 PM

Do you really need to cert to 7.50? will it cert to 8.50 as is? How fast do you plan to go? what does it weigh? its alot like my own car.

Rex

GTO 02-04-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBNRacing (Post 3899336)
Do you really need to cert to 7.50? will it cert to 8.50 as is? How fast do you plan to go? what does it weigh? its alot like my own car.

Rex

It'll cert to 8.50 but I ran 8.90 last year with my old 455 and a 200 shot. This year it's a 250 shot and a 535. Should get me close to 8.60/8.70. It was #2900 with me in the seat last year. With the IAII it should be #3000. Have to cut out the cage because it won't cert, AND, I need more room for my fat head. Have to lay the seat back a bit. I now have 330 E-heads with a 4" Toilet. Looking to step up to Tigers or the new Victors with a Kinsler stack setup, so it should break the 8.50's in the near future. .... If I still have a job. ... Eric.