PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Progress Update (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812692)

68droptop 12-09-2017 09:50 PM

Progress Update

3 Attachment(s)
Starting a new progress thread since my other one was taken over about paint

MD79TA 12-10-2017 12:56 AM

Looking forward to it. Got the same car and always doing work on it. I will pm you my email so we can ask each other questions. Doug

68droptop 12-14-2017 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not bad for the first test fit of the bumper

68droptop 12-14-2017 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

salem1912 12-14-2017 11:26 PM

Is the engine installed? I see your wheels on the ground. I was surprised after fitting my bumper then lifting the car on a post lift how much the gaps opened up. but once back on the ground the gaps were back to normal. FYI
Tom

dataway 12-15-2017 01:08 AM

Yep. The bumper is attached rigidly to the frame, the fenders bolted to the body and the rubber mounted core support will try to stay in place while the frame sags from engine/bumper weight when jacked up at the firewall.

68droptop 12-18-2017 09:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting them gaps right

68droptop 12-30-2017 09:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just love working on this bumper lol

dataway 12-31-2017 04:02 AM

Problem is .... looks great ... but too good to be factory. I've never seen a factory Eundura that fit that well :)

north 12-31-2017 09:51 AM

Very nice, two areas to consider;

1... the bumpers had a notch where the hood meets the fender, this created a gap between the hood and bumper (hood should be a bit back from the front of fenders). I suspect this was to allow a bit of movement space when the nose would get bumped.

2...the valence upper inboard of the parking lights is too far out.

dataway 12-31-2017 06:41 PM

Keep in mind the bumper is bolted solid to the frame horns. The fenders fronts are bolted to the rubber mounted core support ... they move differently, need a little clearance so they don't rub and chip the paint.

68droptop 12-31-2017 07:15 PM

I hear ya bud. Right now I'm just getting it straight and test fitting. I'll leave that little gap later

MD79TA 12-31-2017 08:29 PM

Didn't the firebirds use a black rubber seal between the fender and bumper? Always thought they should have used on GTO. Would make alignment easier and a cleaner look? i am sure other don't like. Doug

Hammertime Mike 01-01-2018 12:30 PM

Subscribed, nice work !!

dataway 01-01-2018 05:39 PM

They used the rubber seal on the chrome bumper Lemans and Tempests ... and yes I personally would have liked to see a bit more gap from the factory. So many of the bumpers (Endura) are messed up right from the factory trying to get them to fit right. I've seen them on 68 with everything from no grinding to clear the hood, to almost a quarter inch notch in the bumper so the hood would go down.

Would love to see the factory process they used to work that out.

Formulajones 01-01-2018 06:29 PM

My memory isn't always the best but I seem to recall the factory assembly manual tells you to raise the car at the firewall during bumper alignment. Once satisfied and everything tight, lower the car and the bumper will pull itself in. I personally don't like this method and prefer to align them with full weight on the suspension, and engine installed.

Yes they do separate from the fenders as the front of the car is raised up. Pain in the butt when you have one making a little power (wheelies) the bumper tends to move around.

I had my fathers bumper aligned perfectly and it's already moved around a bit. Things settle a bit too. I'll have to go back and fiddle with it more.

I agree about the rubber inserts, used on the chrome bumpers. I've seen it done on rubber bumpers (not originally but during a restoration) and while at first I scoffed at the idea because it wasn't correct, it has kind of grown on me. Not enough to make me do it, but if you fiddle with these stupid bumpers long enough you start to see the benefits of those rubber inserts.

MD79TA 01-01-2018 08:55 PM

I wasn't taking about the chrome bumper but the endura bumper on 69 firebirds. I think between the front of fenders and bumper they used a black rubber seal . I thought it looked cleaner than the GTO . My memories are not what they were so I apologize if I'm incorrect. i can only hope I can come close to those gaps on the OP car. Doug

Greg Reid 01-02-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 5828021)
Very nice, two areas to consider;

2...the valence upper inboard of the parking lights is too far out.

Or is it that the beak of the bumper is pushed in at the bottom? Looks a little pushed in... Otherwise, fantastic fit at the fender contours. Not easy to do.

68droptop 01-02-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reid (Post 5828805)
Or is it that the beak of the bumper is pushed in at the bottom? Looks a little pushed in... Otherwise, fantastic fit at the fender contours. Not easy to do.

I see what you guys are saying....but I don't know why the pic looks like that. It doesn't look that bad standing in front of the car.

68droptop 01-02-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 5827987)
Problem is .... looks great ... but too good to be factory. I've never seen a factory Eundura that fit that well :)

I guess it's a good problem to have :)