PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   73-77 A-body TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   1974 Grand AM T roof ??? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819498)

pontorquer 06-28-2018 05:34 PM

1974 Grand AM T roof ???

Never heard of this, factory option ?
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/...604688801.html

77 Canamman 06-29-2018 07:11 AM

Not a factory option in 1974. Hurst most likely performed the surgery, but more in the 1976-77 timeframe on the A/A special chassis.

David Brown 06-29-2018 07:12 AM

Maybe factory. Are they on the build sheet? Certainly available after delivery. I looked at a 75 Grand Am that had a factory electric sun roof. Problem is no one makes weatherstripping for it. Is weatherstrip available for the hatches?

Big Bear 06-29-2018 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Pascal Last year my son bought a 74 Grand Am that was in in a accident. The parts car we found to use as a donner had the Hurst hatches. I thought they suited the car but son thinks it was hacked. See you at Norwalk? Barry

camerjeff 06-30-2018 11:42 AM

Not Factory, dealer installed? Possibly. More likely after market Hurst installed. But I would love to see a 74 Build sheet or PHS Showing them. Always Happy to be proved Wrong!

Grand73Am 06-30-2018 12:45 PM

According to the webpage linked to below, T-tops first appeared on the a-body in the Cutlass based Hurst Olds in 1975. And even then, it wasn't factory. It was a Hurst conversion. So, t-tops weren't available for the 73-74 model years at all. Then, once t-tops became available and could be ordered from your dealer, there were never any factory made and installed t-tops on 75-77 a-bodys. The cars were sent to a Hurst facility to be converted.

So, a 74 could not have originally come with t-tops when it was new. They would've had to have been added later, and are likely Hurst.

http://www.pontiacsonline.com/Those%2070's%20T-Tops.htm

Big Bear 06-30-2018 07:00 PM

The car we parted with Hurst hatches was a loaded 75 455 Tampico orange/ white interior. Must have been a stunning car in better days.

thepontiacman 03-21-2019 08:13 PM

Sounds like a Hurst install available after the production. Haven't seen one.

Electric Sunroof was available. I have one from a 75 GP SJ. Have seen in a GA also.

rwfisher 03-22-2019 07:11 AM

Earliest I recall seeing a "Factory" T-top was 1975 model year on the Hurst Olds Cutlass (not counting Corvette) and obviously these were Hurst conversions with the Hurst package but was covered under factory warranty. For us on the East coast I know there was a dealer in Maine that did the Hurst conversions on a regular basis. My '75 Hurst ended up there for repair to the T-tops. as it was the closest authorized by Hurst dealer around (I'm in Vermont).

Chief of the 60's 03-22-2019 08:51 PM

Could have been grafted in from a donor GP. Mid 70's to mid 80's was the T-Top frenzy era and a lot of cars got junkyard T-Tops installed. Back then, I was doing 1 to 3 T/A's a month. Made some good money buying solid roof cars, converting them and reselling them for good profit.

Peter Serio 03-23-2019 06:06 PM

Hurst Hatches

5 Attachment(s)
Adding t tops to mid-1970s car was big business back then. Sadly many of those converted cars leaked water and the floor pans rusted out early. Hurst made many of the kits although there could have been other companies as well.

At the dealership I worked in they actually sent one of our guys to a special school and had him later, try and repair the leaks. Something about adding in a roof brace up underneath the headliner and new "revised" weatherstrips. And some other band-aid repairs. Really at that point there was not a lot you could do. The cars he worked on; had all been leaking water for some time and they were at least 6 or 7 years old at that point. It was only a matter of time before those cars ended up in the scrap yard.

supercar 03-23-2019 06:49 PM

I was in high school during the peak of the T Top era. We loved them back then, but I wouldn’t own one nowadays. They ruined many cars with those cut in T Tops! You had to own one to understand. I had a 76 Trans Am with a set of American T Tops in it that leaked so bad it wasn’t funny. You could hit a bump in the road and they would come unlocked and try to fly out of the car!

Peter Serio 03-24-2019 01:32 PM

T tops in cars 1970s.

4 Attachment(s)
That's scary!!! It was the next best thing to a convertible which fell out of favor during the 1970s both as a car body style and with the motoring public. Probably because the A/C in the cars worked so well.

Chief of the 60's 03-24-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercar (Post 6005759)
I was in high school during the peak of the T Top era. We loved them back then, but I wouldn’t own one nowadays. They ruined many cars with those cut in T Tops! You had to own one to understand. I had a 76 Trans Am with a set of American T Tops in it that leaked so bad it wasn’t funny. You could hit a bump in the road and they would come unlocked and try to fly out of the car!

Funny thing is, I owned an '87 Formula without T-Tops because it was a stick. When time came to sell it I had a hell of a time selling it because it did not have them. Even today, you couldn't give me a stick car with T-Tops. The guy (kid) that ended up buying my Formula bought it because it was a stick without T-Tops and said he looked a long time for one.