PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Took Delivery of my 1970 RA IV TA on January 12th, 2017 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842100)

napster 07-03-2020 07:23 PM

Took Delivery of my 1970 RA IV TA on January 12th, 2017

Wanted to share this video with us gearheads. This was the night I took delivery of my 1970 T/A. It was the first time I heard the exhaust note on this car with the rebuilt engine. I thought I lost this video and found a copy of it on a thumb drive. My video cam died and I didn’t back it up.

I heard the car when purchased, but it didn’t sound as “Bad A**” as it does here. The rebuilt engine, cam etc.. Is so much better. What I have now is really as close to the stillborn LS1 Ram Air Super Duty that I can get. The big item that is missing is a RAV block. However, I have the next best thing which is a service replacement RA block that was in the car. The rotating assembly is completely forged and fits into the durability issue Pontiac was trying to achieve with the LS1. The engine has a .30 overbore and we added a 427 stroker kit. Equals 433CID.

The person I am talking to in the video worked on the car and the person driving the car is the owner of the shop. The owner of the shop built the engine and I think he knocked it out of the park. I trust him with all my builds. Up to this point when this video was made, he put three engines together for me. Since this build he put together a 461 stroker for my 1970 GTO and the 496 SD for my ’73 T/A.

I know it is IV not VI. I don't know how to edit the title.

Enjoy. I did as you will hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmQXWoIMSU

jwcfbd 07-03-2020 09:22 PM

very nice

muscle_collector 07-03-2020 09:59 PM

that is great. what mufflers does it have on it? ra4 best sounding Pontiac ever in my opinion. so where did this car sell new?

napster 07-04-2020 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys!
Muscle Collector – remember this is a RAIII car turned into a RAIV. Attached documents show it was originally a RAIII car. It also answers the selling dealer question.

The mufflers are Texas T/A mufflers.

Happy 4th everyone.

Baron Von Zeppelin 07-04-2020 01:19 PM

Great car Napster ! Congrats
I have one 70 TA left that i plan to build that way too. RamIV transplant

And a great document as well. (shipping record)
Your car fits a study we are trying to work on.
Does your car have an original M21 and/or original 3.73 axle ?

Keith K. and I are trying to put together a puzzle

My current thesis is the HD Radiator cars were M21 Close / 3.73
and the HD Rad plus Perf Axle were M20 Wide / 3.73

Then there is also the included chance that some HD Rads were just - HD Rads only.
Thanks man

napster 07-04-2020 01:28 PM

Baron,

My car was originally an M40 Turbo 400 automatic - a no charge option. Also, the rear was the standard RAIII non A/C 3.55 ratio. I still have them and the rear now carries 3.73's.

Thanks,

Jim

Baron Von Zeppelin 07-04-2020 01:31 PM

The early 6pack is taking its toll today.
I was looking right at the TurboHydra on the shipper document to start with too.
oops

Happy 4th
:beerchug:

napster 07-04-2020 02:16 PM

Baron,

Right back at you!

:beerchug: Happy 4th!

72projectbird 07-04-2020 03:49 PM

Beautiful sounding T/A Napster!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 6157850)
Great car Napster ! Congrats
I have one 70 TA left that i plan to build that way too. RamIV transplant

And a great document as well. (shipping record)
Your car fits a study we are trying to work on.
Does your car have an original M21 and/or original 3.73 axle ?

Keith K. and I are trying to put together a puzzle

My current thesis is the HD Radiator cars were M21 Close / 3.73
and the HD Rad plus Perf Axle were M20 Wide / 3.73

Then there is also the included chance that some HD Rads were just - HD Rads only.
Thanks man

Mine is a 3.73 M21 HD Rad car. I can post a pic of the PHS if you want. Do you have a thread you'd like it posted in?

napster 07-04-2020 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=72projectbird;6157894]Beautiful sounding T/A Napster!

Thanks. Can't wait to hear your '70 GTO & T/A.

Happy 4th!

keith k 07-04-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 6157853)
The early 6pack is taking its toll today.
I was looking right at the TurboHydra on the shipper document to start with too.
oops

Happy 4th
:beerchug:

So that would suggest the HD Radiator on the invoice for this car was on there because it was specifically selected - not mandated by a trans or rear axle selection.

Baron Von Zeppelin 07-05-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72projectbird (Post 6157894)
Mine is a 3.73 M21 HD Rad car. I can post a pic of the PHS if you want.
Do you have a thread you'd like it posted in?

Thanks 72pb
It was a topic that grew legs inside the thread about the Blue 70 TA recently for sale on Bring-A-Trailer.
I will start a new thread on the info/data quest this week.
Yours will be a great example to have listed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith k (Post 6158017)
So that would suggest the HD Radiator on the invoice for this car [ Napster's Car ]was on there because it was specifically selected - not mandated by a trans or rear axle selection.

Yep
Those examples will be a small achilles heel in the data pool.
But i knew there would have to be some built of that nature.