PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   eBay 1966 Catalina (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851672)

gto19 07-07-2021 10:56 AM

eBay 1966 Catalina

Nice car .thought maybe you guys would like to look at it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28435136616...oAAOSwEfJg2ga2

stevep 07-07-2021 07:13 PM

Looks like GM made a mistake on the trim tag. Style # is supposed to be 25437, not 35437.
A very nice car! Even though they bolted the seats OVER the carpet!

gto19 07-07-2021 07:41 PM

Good catch
Did gm even use the number 35437 ? Or is it a flat out typo ?

61-63 07-07-2021 08:42 PM

I question that even being a factory trim tag. Early 60s had that stamped in border around the outer circumference of the tag but mid decade (65?) the tags had that stamped in border at the upper and bottom edges while right and left edges there was no border at all.

Very nice car but it should be at that price.

gto19 07-07-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61-63 (Post 6262871)
I question that even being a factory trim tag. Early 60s had that stamped in border around the outer circumference of the tag but mid decade (65?) the tags had that stamped in border at the upper and bottom edges while right and left edges there was no border at all.

Very nice car but it should be at that price.

Do you have a picture of what it should look like ?

Stuart 07-07-2021 09:06 PM

The pictures of the billing history form and of the sales form shows the correct 25437 model number.

61-63 07-07-2021 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one I just downloaded from the net

misterp266 07-07-2021 09:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here’s a 1966 2+2 tag with full border.
Also two different 1966 GTO tags, one with full border and one just top and bottom.
The “3” would indicate Oldsmobile division but they did not have a 5437 model.

It is a nice looking car!

gto19 07-07-2021 09:29 PM

Wow crazy .I wonder if it’s the original tag

mgarblik 07-08-2021 09:43 AM

I noticed the trim tag deal right away, having owned a few of these. Hard to say for sure, but I would lean toward the tag just being a weird mistake rather than an outright attempt to defraud something. There would be no advantage I can think of to have the wrong style number on that car. They clearly show the engine being a WH and not a WJ. A WJ HO 421 would be the moneymaker re-stamp. Probably 15-20%. So looks honestly represented to me. One of the nicest ones I have seen for sale in a couple years. Love Barrier Blue.

Greg Reid 07-08-2021 10:12 AM

Re: The data plate...you guys never cease to amaze me with the minutiae you know about these cars. I'm gonna have to look at my '66 now.

Re: The ebay car...Beautiful!

roger1 07-08-2021 07:02 PM

How about the '64 on BaT. It just sold for $18K.
The buyer is going to give it to his granddaughters. After some fixup and repaint I would guess.
Lucky granddaughters.

Looks like he had bid on 3 other cars in the past but didn't win any of those. I'm guessing if he had won any of those, it would have been for giving away too. I like the one he got the best. This Catalina is just way cool.
https://bringatrailer.com/member/ranger77/

alleyCat 07-09-2021 04:35 PM

I know the owner of the Ebay Cat and have seen it. No way he would intentionally dummy anything up. He has nothing but real hi-po 4 speed big cars

Jerry H. 07-09-2021 09:42 PM

Very, very nice 2+2. However for that money it should have 8 lugs.

63gpman 07-10-2021 12:11 AM

Love the colors, looks great! Not a lot to pick apart, seats over carpet, valve covers on wrong side, horn button, oil pressure sending unit, spark plug wire holders missing, cig lighter? trim tag, looks like painted carbs vs plated, but man what a kick a$$ ride. Love these 65 and 66 cars!

Back Channel 07-13-2021 12:20 AM

A fine looking 2+2 with an attractive combination of basic options, exterior color, and interior trim. It's refreshing to see a Pontiac that is equipped with its original wheel covers and has not been converted to 8-lugs.

As an aside, the car's original delivering dealer, Kole Pontiac, Inc., was a long time Pontiac dealer in the Chicago market. Louis C. Kole opened Kole Pontiac in Chicago in 1931. He moved the business to the south suburban Oak Lawn location in 1957. In 1988 Kole Pontiac was sold to Haggerty family interests and it was renamed and operated as Haggerty Pontiac. The former Kole building was demolished and new facilities were built. After General Motors eliminated P.M.D., the business transitioned to Mike Haggerty Buick GMC. This business continues today.

During the mid-1960s, when this 2+2 was ordered and delivered, Kole Pontiac was one of 45 Pontiac retailers serving the greater Chicago metropolitan market; 18 in Chicago and 27 in the suburbs. The outer boundary of this market area extended in a large arc from Waukegan to the north on Lake Michigan, to Antioch near the Wisconsin border, through Elgin to the northwest, Aurora to the west, and Joliet to the southwest. Two additional dealers in Hammond and Gary, Indiana were at the end of the arc as it wrapped up to the shore of Lake Michigan. This market was a good one for P.M.D.

alleyCat 07-17-2021 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back Channel (Post 6264064)
A fine looking 2+2 with an attractive combination of basic options, exterior color, and interior trim. It's refreshing to see a Pontiac that is equipped with its original wheel covers and has not been converted to 8-lugs.

As an aside, the car's original delivering dealer, Kole Pontiac, Inc., was a long time Pontiac dealer in the Chicago market. Louis C. Kole opened Kole Pontiac in Chicago in 1931. He moved the business to the south suburban Oak Lawn location in 1957. In 1988 Kole Pontiac was sold to Haggerty family interests and it was renamed and operated as Haggerty Pontiac. The former Kole building was demolished and new facilities were built. After General Motors eliminated P.M.D., the business transitioned to Mike Haggerty Buick GMC. This business continues today.

During the mid-1960s, when this 2+2 was ordered and delivered, Kole Pontiac was one of 45 Pontiac retailers serving the greater Chicago metropolitan market; 18 in Chicago and 27 in the suburbs. The outer boundary of this market area extended in a large arc from Waukegan to the north on Lake Michigan, to Antioch near the Wisconsin border, through Elgin to the northwest, Aurora to the west, and Joliet to the southwest. Two additional dealers in Hammond and Gary, Indiana were at the end of the arc as it wrapped up to the shore of Lake Michigan. This market was a good one for P.M.D.

Agree on the wheel covers. If this car came with 8 lugs he would have 8 lugs on it. Great info on Chicago area zone. My brother came back from Viet Nam and bought an Iris Mist 65 GTO at Seltzer Pontiac back in 67. So many dealers. Kole,Beran, Seltzer,Grossinger,Montclare….those were the days.