PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Fire Rings (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856557)

GTOGEORGE 02-09-2022 11:39 PM

Fire Rings

Why aren’t more drag racers using a fire ring for sealing their heads to the block on their boosted engines as opposed to a o-ring?

GTO George

Jack Gifford 02-10-2022 01:37 AM

Just speaking for myself- I do a lot of my engine machining on an old manual mill. I can be precise enough to cut O-ring grooves and receiver grooves, but could not be precise enough to align the head's fire-ring grooves with those in the block.
Perhaps this is a factor for other racers?

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 11:21 AM

I forgot most of the race car guys have left PY!

GTO George

Darren 639 02-13-2022 01:35 PM

Where did they all go? I thought I noticed less activity thought it was just the circumstances of closed race tracks & the Covid

Tom Vaught 02-13-2022 02:30 PM

East Coast Mofia Guys all left, All of the "Old" Nostalgia Super Stock Guys (Joe Zajac, Larry Kauffman, Rick Johnson, etc left, All of the California Crew: Pete McCarthy, Wangers, etc left, Jim Butler left, David Butler and Rodney, never post, Palbykin left. Jim Brady, Eugene Riotte, Mark Schottler, Clay Phillips, etc from Missouri left.

DUE TO THE BS AND LACK OF A NEED TO SELL PARTS ON PY.

Chris Casperson walked away, Steve Ames, passed.

So you lost all of the "roots" of the PY Board. They moved on.

With 205 posts, Darren 639, you would not have knowledge of the PY history.

Tom V.

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren 639 (Post 6318655)
Where did they all go? I thought I noticed less activity thought it was just the circumstances of closed race tracks & the Covid

Ill give it a year.....wont be anyone left except the NON-RACERS! They have basically moved to facebook where there is less BS from certain people.Too Bad!

GTO George

Stan Weiss 02-13-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE (Post 6318681)
Ill give it a year.....wont be anyone left except the NON-RACERS! They have basically moved to facebook where there is less BS from certain people.Too Bad!

GTO George

George,
You have no idea what or who a racer is!

Some of us (according to you) NON-RACERS know exponentiation more than you will ever know. It is people like you that have driven others away with your know it all BS.

Stan

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6318683)
George,
You have no idea what or who a racer is!

Some of us (according to you) NON-RACERS know exponentiation more than you will ever know. It is people like you that have driven others away with your know it all BS.

Stan

LOL!

GTO George

Tom Vaught 02-13-2022 03:55 PM

Stan, it will be interesting if the driver of the fastest Pontiac Engine Funny Car in history goes into
Road Racing in the future, if he no longer qualifies on the PY Board as a Racer on the PY Board.

Would also apply to the Road Racer who is kicking Butt in Europe with his road race car
doesn't qualify as a racer by the same definition: "A NON-RACER" LOL! Interesting question Stan.

Tom V.

I also am tired of seeing that Mike G (Engine machinist/builder) who machined/ build the Fastest Pontiac of all time
is being insulted on the board (by comments like the ones above).

Stan Weiss 02-13-2022 05:10 PM

Not everyone who is a racer, races 1/4 mile drags. Mickey Thompson (did also race 1/4 mile) with 4 Pontiac engines in Challenger 1 ran 406 MPH at Bonneville.

Stan

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6318716)
Stan, it will be interesting if the driver of the fastest Pontiac Engine Funny Car in history goes into
Road Racing in the future, if he no longer qualifies on the PY Board as a Racer on the PY Board.

Would also apply to the Road Racer who is kicking Butt in Europe with his road race car
doesn't qualify as a racer by the same definition: "A NON-RACER" LOL! Interesting question Stan.

Tom V.

I also am tired of seeing that Mike G (Engine machinist/builder) who machined/ build the Fastest Pontiac of all time
is being insulted on the board (by comments like the ones above).

LOL!!

GTO George

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 05:30 PM

Soooooooo 12 post and not one on Fire Rings........I think we have some thread trolls!

GTO George

Stan Weiss 02-13-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE (Post 6318741)
Soooooooo 12 post and not one on Fire Rings........I think we have some thread trolls!

GTO George

LOL!

So how mean of the non Fire Ring posts are yours Mr Troll?

Stan

GTOGEORGE 02-13-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6318747)
LOL!

So how mean of the non Fire Ring posts are yours Mr Troll?

Stan

I DONT TROLL......never have BUT.........ill correct someone who makes a False post or answer a question.

GTO George

Tom Vaught 02-13-2022 07:12 PM

Stan, I offered a source for the good sealing rings below. Right in print that people have tried to use them in boosted applications with 10 fasteners. Poor at best for durability.

Why have a discussion on fire rings on heads with 10 fasteners when big power racers have already determined that they do not work well on blocks and heads with 10 bolts or studs.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...or-fire-rings/

Gas rings from companies like Helicoflex work well.

https://technetics.com/products/heli...esilient-seal/

I personally have bought many helicoflex sealing rings over the 14 years I was in research. The technology has been out there forever.

Tom V.

Scott Roberts 02-13-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE (Post 6318741)

GTO George

I ran a soft copper gasket with wire and receiver grooves, what would u like to know George?
Here's ur 1 post..

Scott Roberts 02-13-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6318775)
Stan, I offered a source for the good sealing rings below. Right in print that people have tried to use them in boosted applications with 10 fasteners. Poor at best for durability.

Why have a discussion on fire rings on heads with 10 fasteners when big power racers have already determined that they do not work well on blocks and heads with 10 bolts or studs.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...or-fire-rings/

Gas rings from companies like Helicoflex work well.

https://technetics.com/products/heli...esilient-seal/

I personally have bought many helicoflex sealing rings over the 14 years I was in research. The technology has been out there forever.

Tom V.

Agreed.. at George's low power level they work. We had more than 10 bolts...

cgeise 02-13-2022 07:28 PM

thread turned nasty way to fast --

Tom Vaught 02-13-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Roberts (Post 6318779)
Agreed.. at George's low power level they work. We had more than 10 bolts...

Very true. "Low Power" are the key words here Scott.
And that also a low power you might be able to go rounds at a race track.

Rodney and Travis had more than 10 fasteners, Marty did not run head gaskets.
If it leaked he just had less power that run. Maybe Eric and Mike or cgiese can post or others can post durability on their engine vs boost pressure.

Tom V.

Scott Roberts 02-13-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6318786)
Very true. "Low Power" are the key words here Scott.
And that also a low power you might be able to go rounds at a race track.

Rodney and Travis had more than 10 fasteners, Marty did not run head gaskets.
If it leaked he just had less power that run. Maybe Eric and Mike or cgiese can post or others can post durability on their engine vs boost pressure.

Tom V.

Lol..we smoked a head once at Waynesboro drag strip.. I smashed the lead on number 4 plug and had Dave make the pass..
One dead cylinder blowing alcohol everywhere but made a pass and won..we actually went 4.20's on 7..Lol