PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Removing Antenna question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835473)

gto19 11-07-2019 08:41 PM

Removing Antenna question

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys

My antenna got broken and I have a nos antenna to install but I can’t seem to get the broken piece out . Is it just seized in there after 52 years ? I’m soaking it in a little oil as I type this .

60sstuff 11-07-2019 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would soak it with Marvel Mystery oil.

Then gently twist and pull up.

1967 was a one year style that had a thick round antenna base which dropped into the mount.

65-66 had a fork on the antenna which you would not want to twist.

Below is the 67 mount.

Chris

gto19 11-07-2019 09:53 PM

Thanks Chris

I’ve been soaking it but no go

lust4speed 11-08-2019 03:11 AM

Did you remove the screw? The one that's visible looking through the back of the fender with the door open.

gto4evr 11-08-2019 11:47 AM

do you still have the piece that broke off? I was able to rebuild mind by carefully cutting the remains of the sleeve off the shaft, filing the edge off what was left of the antenna and pushed it back over the pin. I then I took apart a tubing cutter, replaced the blade with a washer that I filed to an edge, got the spacing to match the recess in the pin, then rolled the pressed in edge to hold the antenna back into it's metal pin and put it back together. The edge came out perfectly and you can't tell the difference from an original groove.

Result is original antenna thats still original, same height in fully down position but there's an inch and a half of the first extension showing at the top if you have it all the way down. obviously, all the way up it would be short by that distance but no one drives around with that antenna all the way up or it'd be brushing the tree tops.

I think the modified tool is still in my tool box because I have other tubing cutters and didn't want to trash my masterpiece of innovation!

Longs 11-08-2019 02:48 PM

You should be able to pull that remaining section out of the base, shouldn't need to replace the whole thing. It must be corroded into place or something but some penetrating oil and manipulation and it should come out.

Jeff Hamlin 11-09-2019 07:54 AM

I would suggest removing the antenna body from the fender (1 screw and unplug lead)
and address this on the bench rather then risk a possible paint issue.
JM2C
Cheers.

Greg Reid 11-11-2019 10:18 AM

After lube, maybe use a slide hammer to gently coax it?

boltbuster 11-11-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin (Post 6079980)
I would suggest removing the antenna body from the fender (1 screw and unplug lead)
and address this on the bench rather then risk a possible paint issue.
JM2C
Cheers.

x2 on the making it a bench project. Could you use an 'easy-out' for removal? A set at Harbor Freight for $9 if you don't have access to them.