PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   X-Pipe Opinions (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761988)

1978 T/A 09-28-2014 09:11 PM

X-Pipe Opinions

Looks like my never ending GTO project is coming close to an end and I will soon be in the market for an exhaust system. I have already decided on the muffler and 3" Torque Tech tail pipes; I now looking into the options for the x-pipe.

I was originally thinking Pypes, but the more I have been reading I have been leaning towards a Dr. Gas X. Also from some things I have read it seems Ram Air Industries uses the Dr. Gas x in its x-pipe kit?

Looks for some opinions on quality and finish on either.

Thanks guys!

tom s 09-28-2014 10:49 PM

I removed mine for a H pipe,too much drone in my car.Think mine is 2 1/2 if interested.PM me if so.Tom

1978 T/A 09-28-2014 11:38 PM

I've heard that the x-pipe can lead to drone, but I will find out once I have it in the car. I am going to be running a full 3" system from header to tail.

David Holmberg 09-29-2014 12:13 AM

3" full system with tail pipes and an X, all PYPES, no drone at all.

I did have horrible drone when I had flowmasters on the car.

rexs73gto 09-29-2014 01:53 AM

I run a 2 1/2 inch system to the rear axle. I have the pypes front stainless front pipes & the Summit X-pipe 2 1/2 inch kit. I have a little bit of drone but I've been playing with the turn downs on the pipes & when i change the turn downs the sound changes . If I had tail pipes I wouldn't have any drone as the sound would be going all the way to the bumper . That would be the best for me But I don't want to get tha tail pipes until I decide what I'm doind with the full exhaust yet.

drtracer58 09-29-2014 06:07 AM

Is Dr.Gas still selling Exhaust ?? I was told the guy retired ?????

1978 T/A 09-29-2014 10:38 AM

His website is up and running. The Dr. Gas x is bit more than the Pypes and other competitors. Is it worth the premium?

It appears Ram Air Restoration has their 3" kit for $220 and Dr. Gas has theirs for $275. I've heard these are the same systems. Can anyone confirm?

I'm leaning toward the Dr. Gas x as they utilize aluminized tubing which is the same material as the Torque Tech tails.

MCronkGTO 09-29-2014 08:59 PM

Put a Dr. Gas X pipe on car and Torque Tech exhaust pipes with Dynomax mufflers on my GTO back in 1995 when I ran in NMCA. Still on the car, quality stuff. I used mandrel bent pieces from a Hooker header kit to connect to the head pipes and opened up the HO manifolds.

MarkC

1978 T/A 09-29-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCronkGTO (Post 5279255)
Put a Dr. Gas X pipe on car and Torque Tech exhaust pipes with Dynomax mufflers on my GTO back in 1995 when I ran in NMCA. Still on the car, quality stuff. I used mandrel bent pieces from a Hooker header kit to connect to the head pipes and opened up the HO manifolds.

MarkC

Did you use an offset style muffler?

Jack Gifford 09-30-2014 03:05 AM

My OPINION is that complaints about drone, etc. are much more a function of the mufflers than the choice of X-pipe, H-pipe, or no-crossover-pipe.

I have no crossover on the Pontiac in the GMC I just finished- filled heat risers, long branch manifolds, all 2 1/2" stainless tubing, and a pair of Tom Hand's prototype VOE mufflers. There are no objectionable sounds in the cab at any speed, in either 'quiet' or 'loud' mode.

I don't argue with the possible power advantage of an X- or H-pipe, but for a street vehicle, it's too small a difference for me to care about.

1978 T/A 09-30-2014 10:03 AM

I like the tone the x-pipe gives off and I think it will compliment my muffler choice nicely.

Does anyone know if the Dr. Gas x and RARE are the same?

Don 79 TA 10-01-2014 06:15 AM

i have the torq tech kit on my car 3.5 into the X and 3" tails
it's pretty quiet (to me it is) and sounds pretty sweet too
actually the whole exhaust is quieter compared to the dual 2.5's kit i was using
the torq tech kit fit perfect too

David Holmberg 10-02-2014 09:34 AM

Here is my TA back when it had a 3" exhaust, X pipe, ultraflows and tail pipes.

The car was so quiet that most people thought I ran nitrous. ( I did, but it ran 10.0's and 9.90's on the bottle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkwzXQuwNSY

Or this one with against a mustang, where you can still hear the tires spin on the stang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyxGUKSTNk

Skip Fix 10-03-2014 09:11 AM

My 78 has a 3" Gas X X pipe into 3' Ultraflows and 3" Torque Techs. Pretty darned quiet and no drone. My H pipe with Flowmasters before was terrible for drone.

Don 79 TA 10-03-2014 11:14 AM

David...
thats one bad ass ride there
what size tires in the rear and what rim width/etc you using, seems tucked in nice if its a stock length rear setup
i ask because i run weld draglites all around 15*8*4.5bs and 255*60*15 on my TA and i wish they tucked in a hair more, but weld doesn't offer a 5" BS, i think 5.5 may hit

tpssonic 10-21-2014 10:18 AM

3" stainless steel pypes with X-pipe with Dynomax VTs- no drone. Plus, the X-pipe doubles as a driveshaft support in lieu of a driveshaft loop.

1978 T/A 10-21-2014 02:40 PM

I decided to go with the 3" x from Ram Air Restorations. I emailed emailed them and they do use the Dr. Gas x in their kit. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to mount a center outlet muffler with an offset designed system!

David your car sounds killer!

Skip Fix 10-21-2014 07:03 PM

My 3"Torque Tech tailpipes were designed for offset in offset out mufflers. My fuel pump was mounted when I had offset in- center outlets 2.5". We just added another 2" in the part where both tailpipe sections come together to move it over to use another offset/center muffler. They had a straight section there so no big deal and gave the fuel pump clearance as well.

1978 T/A 10-22-2014 02:12 PM

Skip, what shop did the work for you?

1978 T/A 03-21-2017 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Decided to give this thread new life. I ended up going with Pypes 3" 304 stainless x-pipe and I am pleased with the fit.