PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   73-77 A-body TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   73 GTO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733444)

bauerdan 07-28-2013 12:17 PM

73 GTO

any one know where I can get a new upper rad hose for a 73 GTO ?

77 Canamman 07-28-2013 02:47 PM

If you are referring to the original shaped hose, NOS is the only source. CARQUEST or NAPA sells a reasonable replacement hose that is not that cheap ribbed one size fits all.

bauerdan 07-28-2013 05:14 PM

NOS ?

77 Canamman 07-28-2013 05:39 PM

New Old Stock.....

bauerdan 07-28-2013 05:56 PM

yes I know what NOS means ,but you said NOS is the only source , how do I find the source ?

77 Canamman 07-28-2013 06:20 PM

489866 is the correct part number. Search E-BAY and Google like the rest of us have to do to find rare original GM parts....

Pontiacdaver 07-29-2013 04:37 PM

I work for Advance Auto Parts, we sell a Dayco molded replacement hose, # 70651. It is a 'cut to fit' hose, meaning you have to trim about 3-4" off the radiator end. I have put on a few of these, most recently on the 74 4dr 4spd Grand Am I recently sold. It fits and functions just fine, just doesn't have the GM part number on it. It can be ordered online at www.advanceautoparts.com for $11.99, it can also be purchased in the store as well.
Rock Automotive (www.rockauto.com) sells a Gates #20823 (Dayco equivalent) for $7.49.

If you aren't restoring the GTO for concours shows, either of these will work just fine.

Dave

Alvin 07-29-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver (Post 4986527)
I work for Advance Auto Parts, we sell a Dayco molded replacement hose, # 70651. It is a 'cut to fit' hose, meaning you have to trim about 3-4" off the radiator end. I have put on a few of these, most recently on the 74 4dr 4spd Grand Am I recently sold. It fits and functions just fine, just doesn't have the GM part number on it. It can be ordered online at www.advanceautoparts.com for $11.99, it can also be purchased in the store as well.
Rock Automotive (www.rockauto.com) sells a Gates #20823 (Dayco equivalent) for $7.49.

If you aren't restoring the GTO for concours shows, either of these will work just fine.

Dave

That's some nice, practical, friendly, real world assist w specific readily information Dave! Thanks.

rexs73gto 07-29-2013 10:04 PM

Alvin some people on here just don't know how to be helpful without being a pain in the a**. Some here have to show they think they know everything about everything & can't just anwser a simple question without being a smart a**. Sorry if you didn't get a streight anwser the first time but I'm glad you got your anwser for the hose. Hopefully this won't sour you on the forum as it is a good place to get the help you need from most of the people here , but sometimes you run into some that just have to show there ass rather then just help you out, It's not that way most of the time , just from a sorted few.

Brian Baker 07-30-2013 08:58 AM

In Rick's case, he is a plethora of knowledge when it comes to these red-headed step-children. I would consider him the "go to guy" when it comes to questions on 73-77 A-body Pontiacs.

But hey...ask a question when you already know the answer, and have already been given a STRAIGHT, comprehensive answer to your first question, then expect to be treated with a smart-assed answer.

Alvin 07-30-2013 01:01 PM

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauerdan (Post 4985551)
any one know where I can get a new upper rad hose for a 73 GTO ?

So by now, can you feel the "Love" here? http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ons/icon10.gif

You'll find the same "personalities" at this link http://users.boardnation.com/~abodysite/

Don't worry about all of the "noise" here (and there) just enjoy your '73! http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ons/icon14.gif

Pontiacdaver 07-30-2013 05:37 PM

I meant to say welcome to the forums earlier. Hope the info helps. Would love to know more about your 73 GTO.

Dave

Pontiacdaver 07-30-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Baker (Post 4987220)
In Rick's case, he is a plethora of knowledge when it comes to these red-headed step-children. I would consider him the "go to guy" when it comes to questions on 73-77 A-body Pontiacs.

But hey...ask a question when you already know the answer, and have already been given a STRAIGHT, comprehensive answer to your first question, then expect to be treated with a smart-assed answer.

Brian,

I agree with you on Rick's knowledge. That said, no one should ever have to expect a smart-assed answer, especially someone new to the forums. Trust me, I can be as sarcastic as anyone here, but there is a time and place for it
Perhaps the old adage, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", should apply.

Brian Baker 07-30-2013 10:53 PM

He got his answer with Rick's first response.

He then asked what "NOS" meant and Rick told him, only for him to say he already knew what it meant...he was begging for it (LOL).

Pontiacdaver 07-31-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauerdan (Post 4985775)
yes I know what NOS means ,but you said NOS is the only source , how do I find the source ?

As quoted above, he clearly didn't ask what NOS means, his question was where do you find NOS sources.

Besides, Rick contradicts himself in his own reply:
"If you are referring to the original shaped hose, NOS is the only source. CARQUEST or NAPA sells a reasonable replacement hose that is not that cheap ribbed one size fits all."

Obviously then, NOS is NOT the only source, unless he wants a OEM GM hose since they are readily available from CQ, NAPA, Advance, O'Reilly, etc.

77 Canamman 07-31-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver (Post 4988058)
As quoted above, he clearly didn't ask what NOS means, his question was where do you find NOS sources.

Besides, Rick contradicts himself in his own reply:
"If you are referring to the original shaped hose, NOS is the only source. CARQUEST or NAPA sells a reasonable replacement hose that is not that cheap ribbed one size fits all."

Obviously then, NOS is NOT the only source, unless he wants a OEM GM hose since they are readily available from CQ, NAPA, Advance, O'Reilly, etc.

Carefully re-read what I wrote, Dave. NOS GM is THE ONLY one that is the correct shaped hose. The replacements that are sold by the aftermarket chains are not even close to the shape OEM hose. I answered this guys question with clear, concise information. NOS upper hoses are made of unobtainum. If you know of one, please share the info.:rolleyes:

:focus:

77 Canamman 07-31-2013 09:31 AM

To see the differences, go to this thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=699382

Pontiacdaver 07-31-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 Canamman (Post 4988075)
Carefully re-read what I wrote, Dave. NOS GM is THE ONLY one that is the correct shaped hose. The replacements that are sold by the aftermarket chains are not even close to the shape OEM hose. I answered this guys question with clear, concise information. NOS upper hoses are made of unobtainum. If you know of one, please share the info.:rolleyes:

:focus:

Point taken Rick. I have never questioned the depth or accuracy of your knowledge nor willingness to share it on these cars. You are, as Brian said, the "Go-to Guy" on the 73-77s in my opinion as well. As we both stated, the aftermarket ones fit and function just fine for anything but a concours show car. Since it wasn't stated in the original post, we have covered the bases on what options he has for his car.

Alvin 08-03-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver (Post 4986527)

Dave

Dave, Thanks again for posting readily available today aftermarket part info for a simple Rad hose. Thumbs up!

Pontiacdaver 08-04-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks Alvin, just trying to help. I did learn from Rick's post, there is a visual difference between the original GM hose and the aftermarket ones. Which goes back to whether this is a points-judged restoration or nice car that just needs a functional replacement hose.

At any rate, we probably ran him off . . . . . .