PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   I am in a car funk (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838027)

footjoy 02-15-2020 07:12 PM

I am in a car funk

Run of bad luck

Cam bearings in my 400 went bad pulled motor and sent it to Machine shop.

Bought some heads they weren"t what they were advertised had them rebuilt now that I have changed plans I am told they are worth about 1/3 of what I have in them.

And finally I bought a 2019 GMC Canyon a year ago to be my retirement vehicle. I have a company car so I don't drive it at all.

I was driving the block to the machine shop and the wipers wouldn't work. and then a week later the check engine light came on. I have only put 2000 miles on this truck. I took it to the Dealership after an hour and a half they wanted to show me something. I went out to the truck a squirrel had made a nest under the hood and ate most the wiring. So luckily insurance covered it.
$2700.00 hundred dollars minus 500 deductible.

I called Friday to ask about it they said they have to pull the engine to make the repairs.

I am now looking at bicycles.

I know there are people a lot worse off than me but wow

Have a Great day
Greg

hobbygto65 02-15-2020 08:14 PM

I'd buy a gun and go squirrel hunting.

Scarebird 02-15-2020 08:40 PM

The gun would blow up. Then the squirrel would bite him.

sdbob 02-15-2020 08:58 PM

Wow! Maybe you'll hit the lottery soon as your luck gotta change.

DarthBubba 02-15-2020 09:03 PM

I think we're related.........:rain:

PontiacJim1959 02-15-2020 09:18 PM

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck.

At least you had the $2700 to make truck repairs. I'd have to hang out at the end of an exit ramp with a sign trying to gather up the money because all my fun money would have been spent on the Pontiac engine repairs - you just gotta know where your priorities are, right?

When it rains it pours and I'll bet it was a full moon too.

BOB VIDAN 02-15-2020 09:44 PM

Pat yourself on the back............................at least you spelled funk right.

1_Wild_Cat 02-15-2020 09:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your string of misfortunes...many of us have been there and can certainly pick up what you are putting down. Hang in there brother - it's bound to turn.

Drag Star Le Mans 02-15-2020 10:05 PM

"Run of bad luck" That is exactly what it is. Sorry to hear about that, life kicks you sometimes A friend had same problem with wire harness on a Toyota. Many new harnesses are made of a some kind of soy based wire covering? The little critters love nesting in new vehicles and snacking on the wiring harnesses. Far more common than you think. Kill the squirrel.

footjoy 02-15-2020 10:12 PM

I asked the mechanic why the squirell would eat the wires he said they use a soybean oil when they make the insulation.

The insurance company said its a common claim.

I just hope they get it back together correctly.

Greg

68 461 Bird 02-15-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footjoy (Post 6110999)
I asked the mechanic why the squirell would eat the wires he said they use a soybean oil when they make the insulation.

Greg

I recently learned this too, Soybean oil really? With all the other materials to choose from why use a substance that attracts pests?

mgarblik 02-15-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footjoy (Post 6110999)

Greg

Yep, the "Eco-Friendly" wiring loom is a big problem for the manufacturers that use it. Did a rodent harness repair in my shop a couple weeks ago. It can get ugly depending on how much they get into.

67drake 02-15-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird (Post 6111004)
I recently learned this too, Soybean oil really? With all the other materials to choose from why use a substance that attracts pests?

Because it’s “Green”. Just like Ethanol. We switched to soy based printing inks in the printing industry years ago too.

dpoltzer 02-15-2020 10:33 PM

I had a problem with Squirrels in my attic on two occasions. I now shoot every squirrel I see on my property, hell I even go out of my way to run em over on the road too. They are dastardly varmints.

daduck 02-15-2020 10:41 PM

2 things....
my newest personal vehicle is a 2012 Chevy so you are 7 years better than me.
you also have an opportunity to trap some squirrels and decide their fate.

Things run in cycles so time is on your side.

poncho-mike 02-15-2020 10:48 PM

When I was a kid, we had two huge pecan trees in our yard. We waged a constant battle against squirrels, and Mom would give me $.25 for every squirrel I killed because they kept eating the pecans. I had a pump pellet gun with a scope and would spend summer days sitting in a lawn chair just waiting for a squirrel to show up.

68 461 Bird 02-15-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67drake (Post 6111007)
Because it’s “Green”. Just like Ethanol. We switched to soy based printing inks in the printing industry years ago too.

Thanks Drake, I can see it in printing but not on wires in a car for obvious reasons..

67drake 02-15-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird (Post 6111023)
Thanks Drake, I can see it in printing but not on wires in a car for obvious reasons..

Hey, I didn’t say it made any sense!

Chris65LeMans 02-16-2020 12:36 AM

Good news that insurance paid for the wiring harnesses. I’m having a hard time keeping the rats out from under the hood of my Yukon. (My daily.)

dataway 02-16-2020 07:01 AM

Get yourself a nice 22 lbs weighted blanket and take a nice nap.

Then attack the problems one at a time, step by step.