PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=423)
-   -   1970 GTO Version 2.0 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553683)

andrewb70 03-10-2008 05:31 PM

1970 GTO Version 2.0

5 Attachment(s)
As many of you know and many don't, my 1970 GTO was done in October of 2002.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...gto/index.html

Since then it has lived a rather quiet life. Mostly in storage. Due to some issues in my personal life and a lack of interest, the GTO was a bit neglected over the last 4-5 years. Well that changed this past weekend. I finally sold my fuel injected 502 big block. The engine will have a happy home in a Chevelle, where it belongs.

Stay tuned for more details and future upgrades.

Andrew

Silver Judge 03-10-2008 05:45 PM

You did a great job on that '70 Andrew and I remember that some folks on this board were up in arms about the chevy power thing. I still think that your '70 is a mighty nicely done car ! I almost did some of the same modifications that you have done.

Are you thinking of going with a pontiac engine now ?

ponjohn 03-10-2008 06:40 PM

I clearly remember that project, it was ahead of the curve for sure.

andrewb70 03-10-2008 07:58 PM

Thank you for the kind words guys. No doubt many of you would like to see traditional Pontiac power under the hood. The goals of the project are to reduce the overall weight of the car, improve the weight distribution, increase fuel economy, retain low to mid 12 second drag strip performance, improve serviceability through the use of as many OEM parts as possible, improve overall dependability, make adjustments to the suspension to improve handling, lower the stance slightly, and have FUN!

Andrew

Overkillphil 03-10-2008 08:43 PM

Looks like a perfect candidate for that sweet aluminum Pontiac block...

andrewb70 03-10-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkillphil
Looks like a perfect candidate for that sweet aluminum Pontiac block...

Unfortunately that is way out of the budget :/

Andrew

Stuckinda60s 03-10-2008 11:14 PM

A 455 is lighter than a Big Block!!

Rich

andrewb70 03-10-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuckinda60s
A 455 is lighter than a Big Block!!

Rich

Not 300 pounds lighter.

Andrew

boater bill 03-11-2008 06:22 AM

A 455 w/ aluminum heads might be though!

With your performance and driveablity goals, are you going fuel injection or forced induction?

ponjohn 03-11-2008 06:45 AM

psssst.....LSx?

andrewb70 03-11-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn
psssst.....LSx?

Yes Sir!

Andrew

HWYSTR455 03-11-2008 12:16 PM

Are LS9s available over the counter yet?

andrewb70 03-11-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
Are LS9s available over the counter yet?

Not yet. Its going to stay NA.

Andrew

1972 Formula 400 03-12-2008 07:05 PM

Looks great, should have went with a Pontiac power plant though:D

andrewb70 03-12-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972 Formula 400
Looks great, should have went with a Pontiac power plant though:D

Yea yea....LOL

Today I dropped off the big block at its new home and picked up an L92 truck engine. The big ugly truck intake will need to go, as will the water pump and balancer. I also picked up a take out LS7 cam, LS7 valve springs with retainers. I will post pictures of the new engine tomorrow.

Andrew

wrenchmen 03-12-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

improve serviceability through the use of as many OEM parts as possible, improve overall dependability
Considering the quality of your GTO and your choice of components, that is a very interesting statement....especialy to someone like me who is currently in the begining stages of a restification.
With all the aftermarket components avalable, particuarily suspension and brake and from someone who has "been there, done that" is there any words of advice or thoughts you can give based on your experience?

andrewb70 03-13-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenchmen
Considering the quality of your GTO and your choice of components, that is a very interesting statement....especialy to someone like me who is currently in the begining stages of a restification.
With all the aftermarket components avalable, particuarily suspension and brake and from someone who has "been there, done that" is there any words of advice or thoughts you can give based on your experience?

When starting a project I think it is very important to have a goal in mind of what you envision your final build to be. How often will it be driven? Will it be raced? Drag? Road race? How often? All those things play an important role in determining what product to use on the car.

Take for instance the brakes. In retrospect I went way overboard. I wasn't realistic with myself about the use of the car and I made the brakes more complicated and more expensive than necessary. When I built the car it was very common to upgrade to the b-body spindles and custom upper control arms. This addressed the suspension geometry issues and allowed the use of some large OEM brakes. The b-body swap also has a bit of a dark side, with increased bump steer and a reduced turning radius due to the longer steering arm . In the last few years the ATS spindle has emerged as the best of both world solutions. It fixes the geometry issues without inducing other negative effects, and it allows the use of the c5/c6 brakes, that are relatively inexpensive and very well engineered. With the introduction of the C6 ZO6, you can now get an OEM quality 6 piston caliper with a 14" rotor. That is the way to go in my opinion if the car seem mostly street driving with an occasional romp on the road course or auto cross.

There are other systems, such as aftermarket EFI in comparison to the latest OEM hardware and software that GM uses to run their modern engines. The amount of effort that the OEMs spend on IDLE would easily surpass the combined engineering efforts of many, if not all aftermarket EFI companies, combined.

Andrew

andrewb70 03-14-2008 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the starting point for the engine. It is a L92 that is used in various GM SUVs. 6.2L in displacement.

Andrew

Silver Judge 03-14-2008 07:19 PM

Wow, a GM truck engine ?
I guess it is too late to suggest a Pontiac power plant ? Either way, this will be interesting !

ponjohn 03-15-2008 07:48 AM

Andrew- that is an iron block--correct?

Are you planning on boosting it?
What trans?

John