PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members Helping Members (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Any home security camera gurus? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841541)

dataway 06-15-2020 07:44 PM

Any home security camera gurus?

I'm looking for some new home security cameras

My requirements:

1. Indoor ... pan, tilt
2. P2P capable
3. Non-Chinese if possible
4. Remote viewable (phone app etc. for long distance viewing)
5. No recurring charges for any kind of live viewing app.

I have two chinese P2P IP cameras now ... but the company appears to be moving to cloud systems only (easier to spy on) and no longer seems to produce cameras compatible with my other cameras. And I'm just not big on cameras that have to go through a central server for me to view them.

Seems like a lot of companies are moving away from P2P because it's hard for them to monetize since it's straight connection from view app to camera.

Thanks

nytrainer 06-15-2020 10:37 PM

I have 6 Amcrest cameras (most outdoors in various spots in front, back and side yard) and they’re P2P. Company out of Texas but undoubtedly not USA made. Works with app. They offer a cloud system but I don’t want/need that. I believe the company was Foscam previously (merged? iDK).

dataway 06-16-2020 12:59 AM

At least they have a good English based support system.

dataway 06-16-2020 03:07 AM

Well, looks like I'm just going to have to let the chinese spy on me. There is just nothing for a reasonable price that compares. Appears to me that the majority of the "cloud" cams use P2P if the cloud option is not used ... at least they setup the exact same way, don't need port forwarding or any of that.

I did find a German outfit .. supposedly all manufactured in Germany, specializes in P2P camera, but it's about $170 for a camera that does what the $30 chinese cameras do. Japan is not making anything other than high end stuff these days.

I think the Amcrest was formally Foscam, seem to be as good as any outfit out there and at least they have in-country contact and support.

necdb3 06-17-2020 09:10 AM

I have a 16 camera system from "Swann". I've had it coming up on 3 years. 1080p crystal clear on a 65" TV. Works great, 2TB hard drive so it stores quite a bit.

bluejudge 06-17-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necdb3 (Post 6151504)
I have a 16 camera system from "Swann". I've had it coming up on 3 years. 1080p crystal clear on a 65" TV. Works great, 2TB hard drive so it stores quite a bit.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time. With 16 cameras I am guessing they are indoor and outdoor. I want to get a system and try to do my property, a little bit more than half an acre. I am going to look this stuff up. Thanks, Marc

Karck 06-17-2020 04:23 PM

In youtube there is good guides how to make use of old cameras from phones ect. to DIY your own system and open source apps.

necdb3 06-17-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejudge (Post 6151621)
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. With 16 cameras I am guessing they are indoor and outdoor. I want to get a system and try to do my property, a little bit more than half an acre. I am going to look this stuff up. Thanks, Marc

I don't have any camera's in my house. They are outside and in the garage. I don't think I want footage of me going to the refrigerator in the middle of the night. :)

dataway 06-17-2020 07:02 PM

Basically the only reason I need them is to check on the place when I'm away on vacation, so remote access is a primary concern. That Swann stuff looks nice ... and appears to be a basically a US or at least English speaking company.

necdb3 06-18-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6151700)
Basically the only reason I need them is to check on the place when I'm away on vacation, so remote access is a primary concern. That Swann stuff looks nice ... and appears to be a basically a US or at least English speaking company.

That's what I purchased this system for. I bought a house in Florida, I live in NJ. I could keep an eye on the house remotely. I would recommend this system. You obviously need internet at the place where the camera's are.

68GTO82 06-18-2020 12:20 PM

What do you guys use for infrared detection with security cameras? Cameras I have really have no night vision that is useful. Two different brands but not real expensive.

Don

dataway 06-18-2020 02:01 PM

The cheap cameras I bought have IR capability out to about 30 feet .... they are indoor cameras, outdoor usually have more powerful IR lights.

necdb3 06-18-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GTO82 (Post 6151922)
What do you guys use for infrared detection with security cameras? Cameras I have really have no night vision that is useful. Two different brands but not real expensive.

Don

The Swann system I bought has good IR night vision.