PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Need Front Floor mats ..67 GTO Help ! (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864255)

MUSLCAH 01-25-2023 10:52 PM

Need Front Floor mats ..67 GTO Help !

Looking for some nice fitting front floor mats...that don’t scrunch up ...and don’t send me to Ames . I bought their mats...and am not happy.

So if there is another vendor....that would be much appreciated.

MUSLCAH 01-27-2023 12:26 AM

Anyone ?

Tim john 01-27-2023 06:24 AM

Can you place a few tabs of Velcro on the underside to hold them in position. Just a random thought. I hate it as well when floor mats don't stay put.

Tim john---

gto4evr 01-27-2023 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim john (Post 6403516)
Can you place a few tabs of Velcro on the underside to hold them in position. Just a random thought. I hate it as well when floor mats don't stay put.

Tim john---

forget velco, nothing fixes the junk repops. they get 10 times worse in colder weather as they get very hard and i've had to remove them because they'll foul up the gas pedal all frozen and balled up underneath it. My only solution was endless ebay searching and bought usable originals (and a few scores on NOS ones as well -though the cost on those HURT at the time) original mats do not bunch and they don't get stiff in the cold either.

more often than not I found usable original mats cheaper than the repop trash but that was a few years ago. not much on there now. I see a blue passenger side and that's about it right now. but I'd keep chasing it that way. I never had any luck with wanted ads here on PY.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27563681883...temCondition=4

gto4ben 01-27-2023 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to quantify the differences between originals and reproductions. I bought mine from Inline Tube in 2019 and measured 0.163" on the thicker parts and 0.086" for the grooves. The material is very pliable but I don't have any scrunching problems or it moving. What are the thickness of the originals?

gto4evr 01-27-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto4ben (Post 6403660)
I'd like to quantify the differences between originals and reproductions. I bought mine from Inline Tube in 2019 and measured 0.163" on the thicker parts and 0.086" for the grooves. The material is very pliable but I don't have any scrunching problems or it moving. What are the thickness of the originals?

too hard to get to them now with the winter storage for measuring, but I don't recall there being much of a difference on the thickness. For me, the repops were nice and pliable as long as it was 80 degrees out and not that big a deal with the curling in the crease under the gas pedal. when Spring or Fall rolls around, they got stiff and became a problem under the pedal. I tried heating them with a heat gun to reform them to bend better in that area, but again, as soon as they're warm, they go right back to nice and soft and pliable.

with originals, there's no real difference hot or cold and it was never an issue again for me. Maybe they've changed rubber formulations since I abandoned repops. I've had 2 sets of them. one bought from Ames in 1997 and the other set from Ames in 2006. After fighting with them for years and frustration I tracked down originals and have never looked back. Again, this is my experience with them, but in both cases, the repops got rock hard when it's cooler out and the factory ones don't.

gto4ben 01-28-2023 02:30 AM

Based on your description, I'll have to try an experiment when the wife makes some room in the freezer. I'll take the reproduction mat and a remnant from my new molded carpet and measure friction between the surfaces at ambient temperature and at 0F to see the hardening and slippage.

Rob in NH 01-28-2023 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6403204)
Looking for some nice fitting front floor mats...that don’t scrunch up ...and don’t send me to Ames . I bought their mats...and am not happy.

So if there is another vendor....that would be much appreciated.

Check with Paul L, he might know where there is a set of originals.

chrisp 01-28-2023 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made these myself

chrisp 01-28-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 6403828)
Made these myself

& rears also 2pc. trunk mat .

MUSLCAH 01-28-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob in NH (Post 6403824)
Check with Paul L, he might know where there is a set of originals.

Good idea