PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Wrecked the 65 GP! (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792905)

mechanickeith 07-16-2016 03:20 PM

Wrecked the 65 GP!

Well, yesterday morning on the way to work I got caught up in a 5 vehicle pile up at 5:20 am in the northbound commuter lane on I-17 in Phoenix.... I was the last car into the foray. GP is pretty mashed on the right front corner. Not a fatal hit to the car & is repairable, but will need quite a bit of work to put back together. Bent the r/f corner of hood (repairable), front bumper & R/fender is toast, not repairable. Fender well is repairable. Will need everything for the right side headlights, I think the core support will be ok. It got pushed back on the right side a bit. Blew out 2 tires. Had it towed to my tire shop & got a couple of junk tires put on so it could roll. After work I went over there & did a bit to the bumper & fender well so the right front tire would roll,, then drove her home on side streets, 25 miles! I have lots of pictures from the accident site, but they are on my work camera & for some reason, they wont download. Will post up damage pictures as soon as possible.

There were 4 cars & a motorcycle in the smashup. 1st a 3 series BMW, 2nd a 90's era Malibu, 3rd the motorcycle, 4th a Nissan & last, me. No injuries noted, everyone walked away. The Nissan was half sideways when I nailed it in the drivers side rear door with my Right front fender. Not a pretty sight.

Deadhead 07-16-2016 03:27 PM

That sucks! BUT the good news is the front end parts are the easiest to find in good shape since so many cars share them. A rear 1/4 would have been far worse. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon!

marxjunk 07-16-2016 05:37 PM

you walked away

it was a good day

mechanickeith 07-17-2016 02:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the damage. So far, I will need the following,,,

1 right front fender
2 front bumper
3 right hood hinge
4 right headlight surround
5 maybe right headlight bucket assy.

stevep 07-17-2016 06:48 AM

Was it insured?

I have plenty of driver quality headlight bezels and I may have a hinge. Is the wheel opening molding OK?

mechanickeith 07-17-2016 08:27 AM

Fully insured. 500 deductible,,,I was loaded up & ready to go out of state Friday afternoon right after work. Wheel molding is damaged. may be repairable.

Heybuck 07-17-2016 09:32 AM

How does your "law" view this accident Keith?? Over here, in essence the accident damage load almost always falls back the last car in the pack. You in other words!!

So unless you can demonstrate that the first car was at fault, its you who wears the bill. Or your insurance Co. does in reality.

18 months back I noticed a car (BMW SUV) in the middle lane (my lane) pull up quickly and a Toyota hit her. I pulled up and was looking for a way past left or right side when, whump, I got hit in the rear. Got such a shock and as my foot was poised over the accelerator waiting to go when I had a space, I inadvertantly touched the gas and lightly hit the Toyota. Before I could blink, the car that hit me backed up and took off. End result was my insurance had to cop my car plus the Toyota in front AND a bit of the BMW because the BMW driver put in a submission that while the Toyota had hit her first, my car pushed it into the BMW twice..... Their logic was I was too close to the car in front of me. If I had left a greater gap, my car would not have hit the Toyota and so on. Still burns me up.:mad::mad::mad:

Ian

mgarblik 07-17-2016 10:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I enjoy reading about all the miles you have been putting on that car in the extreme heat out there. If there is anything good about an accident, it's that it was a frontal hit. Really lucky the fender was pushed back and went into the door opening, missing the door. Looks like careful bolting on of new parts and some shimming and you will be back on the road. I am guessing a replacement front bumper with good chrome will be your biggest single expense. Good luck getting it fixed up.

Alf ista 07-17-2016 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I too was enjoying hearing about the 65. Glad no one got hurt and hope the GP makes a full recovery. Sounds like the motorcyclist was very lucky to get away without any injuries...

Ben M. 07-17-2016 05:25 PM

You walked away, that's a good thing. And that it's still driveable is a good thing too. That type of car damage seems to be pretty common:

http://www.slyagent.com/78bonne/pt2-begin.jpg

Be prepared though, the core support and bumper mounting may all be toast too. Front end parts are definitely easier to come by than rear parts like quarters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heybuck (Post 5603310)
Over here, in essence the accident damage load almost always falls back the last car in the pack.

That's a general truth, but only for a rear-ending type collision. That he slammed into the side of the Nissan sounds like it was a pretty nasty pileup and insurance tends to not auto-assign blame to the last guy in that case.

AROWHED 07-17-2016 09:58 PM

As a fellow 65 GP owner, those pics are painful to look at. Lucky you know Steve B. so well!

Jerry H. 07-17-2016 10:18 PM

I would not try to repair the hood. It will never look right. Glad you are ok.

mviker 07-18-2016 09:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your ride, Keith. Thought abut upgrading? :)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5682337983.html

66 421 4 speed GP. Is somewhere in your neck of the woods!

mechanickeith 07-18-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mviker (Post 5603687)
Sorry to hear about your ride, Keith. Thought abut upgrading? :)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5682337983.html

66 421 4 speed GP. Is somewhere in your neck of the woods!

Saw that one. A friend is going today to look at it. Needs total rest though.

Engine-Ear 07-18-2016 10:18 PM

Glad you're OK, Keith.

If I can get physics-geek on you all for a second: look at how the fender rolled over itself...tells me that the impact force was inline with the rib atop the fender (at least at first, then vectored sideways, making the headlight door face out).

...Reminds me of, and does anyone remember the scene from the movie, "The world according to Garp" when he was looking at a house for sale with a realtor and a plane flew into it? He then looked at the realtor and said, "we'll take it." - like that house, your '65 has been pre-disatered (statistically)... repair it and add another 250,000 miles on it.

mviker 07-19-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine-Ear (Post 5604027)
Glad you're OK, Keith.

If I can get physics-geek on you all for a second: look at how the fender rolled over itself...tells me that the impact force was inline with the rib atop the fender (at least at first, then vectored sideways, making the headlight door face out).

...Reminds me of, and does anyone remember the scene from the movie, "The world according to Garp" when he was looking at a house for sale with a realtor and a plane flew into it? He then looked at the realtor and said, "we'll take it." - like that house, your '65 has been pre-disatered (statistically)... repair it and add another 250,000 miles on it.

Shew!!!! I thought you were going to mention the scene where he flies up the driveway with his lights off. :eek:

mechanickeith 07-19-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine-Ear (Post 5604027)
Glad you're OK, Keith.

That's the way I am looking at it. This car has been pristine for 51 years,, I figure I have another 51 years till due again!

hurryinhoosier62 07-19-2016 01:02 PM

Sorry, Keith, but at least it's repairable and you're OK.

Engine-Ear 07-19-2016 10:45 PM

Off topic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mviker (Post 5604149)
Shew!!!! I thought you were going to mention the scene where he flies up the driveway with his lights off. :eek:

Uhh...no, not THAT scene.

Redpiston 07-19-2016 10:56 PM

Keith - Always liked to look at your GP at the cruise in and talking with you. Now that you have to do these repairs. I guess you will have to paint it now. Loved the story how the kid buffed the one fender.