PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Horn died (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873022)

64speed 04-07-2024 08:19 AM

Horn died

I can only have one of the horns because my AC components interfere on the passenger side. The one I have has died. I can here the relay clicking and if my daughter sits in the car and blows the horn while I tap on it with the screwdriver it makes a half ass blowing sound and then wont do anything. Everyonce in a while I can get a full sound out of it. First off what horn do I need to be the loudest? The high tone or the low tone. Second of all where can I get a decent one without paying 150 for an unknown on ebay? Anybody got one they want to sell? Anybody got a recommendation for an aftermarket? Please dont say train horns.

Goatracer1 04-07-2024 01:02 PM

Ames sells horns and they usually tell you whether something is good or not.

chuckies76ta 04-07-2024 01:48 PM

I went to a ford dealership here and bought myself some horns because they are really load. The price was around $25 for one. I put 2 on each car. there the same horns used on the Ford vans.

64speed 04-07-2024 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatracer1 (Post 6496777)
Ames sells horns and they usually tell you whether something is good or not.

And like I said I don’t wanna pay 150 bucks for them

bill ryder 04-07-2024 05:21 PM

I believe I have a pair of Nos GM horns still in the box I will let you have for $50.00 plus the shipping. LMK

"Bill"!

JSchmitz 04-08-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill ryder (Post 6496819)
I believe I have a pair of Nos GM horns still in the box I will let you have for $50.00 plus the shipping. LMK

"Bill"!

I'll take those if he doesn't want them. Please.

steve25 04-08-2024 05:50 PM

There are no junk yards near you to grab one from ?

Many times I a fixed a near totally dead horn by removing it and filling it up with hot soapy water a few times.

You’ed be amazed at the 40 plus years of crap that comes out of them!

P@blo 04-08-2024 06:31 PM

Any NA Fiam horn should work fine in high/low tone configuration. Just make sure you do not pick the Herbie European version sound. They have all the sample horn sounds on their website to verify.

Reuse your old bracket after ziping off the needed section and bolt her up. $20 all in and you will never notice a difference.

Formulajones 04-09-2024 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve25 (Post 6496988)
There are no junk yards near you to grab one from ?

Many times I a fixed a near totally dead horn by removing it and filling it up with hot soapy water a few times.

You’ed be amazed at the 40 plus years of crap that comes out of them!

Another way to wake them up, it's kinda funny but works most of the time. Take it off and plug it into a 110 wall socket lol.
Do it quickly just for a split second and it usually jolts them back to life. Think of it as a defibrillator :)
I've gotten several more years out of them before they eventually die again.