PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Replating bumpers (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831058)

KGTO 07-09-2019 12:30 PM

Replating bumpers

I have done a little searching on the subject with a little information. I would like to reuse my original bumpers (front bumper did get tweaked but is fixable) I took them to a local replating shop and they quoted me $4,000 for the pair.

Has the cost gone up that much in the past decade? I was expecting around $2,000 tops for the pair.

I really don't want to use Chinese bumpers but appreciate any feedback. This is a frame off we are doing on my 67.

Chief of the 60's 07-09-2019 02:51 PM

4 freakin' grand?!?!?!

You should have never told them it was for a frame off resto GTO. Call Advance Plating in TN or Paul's Chrome in PA. WOW! Simply WOW!

KGTO 07-09-2019 04:00 PM

That was my response...I was also told of a place in OR called Medford Plating, Inc which is closer. But sounds like I need to call a few places. There is another shop here locally so I will also check with them just in case. This was for a complete strip, straighten, re-copper, re-nickel and plate....but did seem steep

Chief of the 60's 07-09-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGTO (Post 6039271)
That was my response...I was also told of a place in OR called Medford Plating, Inc which is closer. But sounds like I need to call a few places. There is another shop here locally so I will also check with them just in case. This was for a complete strip, straighten, re-copper, re-nickel and plate....but did seem steep

Nothing special. That is all part of the job. Like some GTO owners that "think" their car is worth $50,000.00, $60,000.00 plus, the guys working on them or its parts are thinking the same way. In a way, I kind of don't blame them. Seems like too many car owners want everything on the cheap then want stupid to insane money when they sell. In a perfect world that might be but who lives in a perfect world now chit rolls downhill and everybody wants a piece of the ridiculous action.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times people demand NOS parts but do not want to pay NOS money because they are only going on a "driver". Yeah, okay.

400 4spd. 07-09-2019 09:44 PM

Call Chip at Tri-City plating in Tennessee for a much fairer price (well under two grand) and excellent quality with a lifetime warranty. Plus a turn-around of a few weeks. Call Paul's if you want to pay lots more and don't mind waiting alot longer. Don't call Advanced, because they burned down last year.

Bob with the 66 07-10-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6039402)
Call Chip at Tri-City plating in Tennessee for a much fairer price (well under two grand) and excellent quality with a lifetime warranty. Plus a turn-around of a few weeks. Call Paul's if you want to pay lots more and don't mind waiting alot longer. Don't call Advanced, because they burned down last year.

X2 on Tri-City, I used them for my 66 bumpers, nothing but good thing to say.

Jonsie 07-10-2019 11:34 AM

-and 3x on Tri-City. They redid my 55 yr.old bumpers, fantastic results!!!

KGTO 07-10-2019 01:40 PM

Wow! thank you for the responses, I will check out the recommendations.

Carmine 07-11-2019 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400 4spd. (Post 6039402)

I used them also for the bumpers on my '62 Impala. Very pleased with their work. Would use them again. Nothing fits like the original part. Wherever you decide to send them, just make sure in some inconspicuous place on both bumpers, you inscribe some type of identifier. Name. DOB. Anything so that you make sure you get back the same bumpers you sent, Carmine.

455hota 07-11-2019 09:41 AM

Very good advice Carmine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KGTO 07-11-2019 10:43 AM

Great idea, thank you

Carmine 07-11-2019 04:34 PM

I'm a big believer in re-chroming the original part if at all possible. As mentioned, nothing fits like the original. At least for me. I've read some horror stories where people have sent parts out, namely bumpers, for re-chroming, and gotten back some ill fitting piece which certainly wasn't what they submitted. Marking it with an identifier keeps everyone honest. Just my personal experience, Carmine.

NEW64OWNER 07-11-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGTO (Post 6039231)
I have done a little searching on the subject with a little information. I would like to reuse my original bumpers (front bumper did get tweaked but is fixable) I took them to a local replating shop and they quoted me $4,000 for the pair.

Has the cost gone up that much in the past decade? I was expecting around $2,000 tops for the pair.

I really don't want to use Chinese bumpers but appreciate any feedback. This is a frame off we are doing on my 67.

I would expect $700 to $800 for the pair.

400 4spd. 07-16-2019 04:10 PM

Closer to $1200 for the pair at Tri-City.

Carmine 07-16-2019 05:59 PM

I didn't think I paid that much for mine. I don't really recall. But you know what, do it once, do it right. Get the original parts plated and just make sure ur happy with the finished product. Done deal, Carmine.

Jonsie 07-16-2019 06:15 PM

Seems to me Tri-City charged @ $1300 for the pair

SR-71 07-16-2019 11:01 PM

$700 each

Frank R 07-20-2019 04:23 PM

I used Tri-City and they did an excellent job. My front bumper had a slight twist and the rear had holes for a trailer plug and a Air shock nozzles. They repaired them and they came back perfect. They still look great 10 years later.

John Eiseman 07-21-2019 12:40 AM

Try Salt Lake Chrome Plating. They do good work .