PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Drag Week 2019 is on the East Coast! (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822331)

firechickenman 09-21-2018 01:43 PM

Drag Week 2019 is on the East Coast!

Heads up to all you East Coast Pontiacs! Hot Rod Drag Week is going to be in your neck of the woods next year! They announced the tracks early this time, so you've got plenty of time to get that "street car" ready for some fun.

Sunday, September 8 (tech) North Dinwiddie, VA Virginia Motorsports Park

Monday, September 9 North Dinwiddie, VA Virginia Motorsports Park

Tuesday, September 10 Rising Sun, MD Cecil County Dragway

Wednesday, September 11 Atco, NJ Atco Dragway

Thursday, September 12 Budds Creek, MD Maryland International Raceway

Friday, September 13 North Dinwiddie, VA Virginia Motorsports Park

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/say-...cks-announced/

Hooter 09-21-2018 02:33 PM

13 hour drive for me and I still hope to be there.

JSPONT 09-21-2018 02:41 PM

How to you sign up?? someone told me I would never get in there is a waiting list.

firechickenman 09-21-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPONT (Post 5934351)
How to you sign up?? someone told me I would never get in there is a waiting list.

They will announce when pre-registration opens. Usually in March. Once pre-registration opens, the first 400 to sign up online, get in. If you don't get in, get on the waitlist and show up on registration day. So far they have not turned anyone away that was there on the property on registration day.

firechickenman 09-21-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 5934345)
13 hour drive for me and I still hope to be there.

13 1/2 hours for me this year. 17 1/2 in 2019! 😁

Rob B 09-21-2018 03:44 PM

8hrs this year and about 9.5hr next year...
As Greg said, show up. There was something like 300 people on the wait list but that honestly doesn't mean chit, at least up to this point.
400 signed up and paid on the day of registration (sold out in like 5 minutes). only 320 showed that originally registered. 60 others that were either on the wait list or just showed up at the track were still able to register and compete in the event. At $400 a pop, they aint turning anyone away with cash in hand! ;)

JSPONT 09-21-2018 04:17 PM

Thanks for the tips! It is a hard decision for me because I need a roll bar to run, but do not want one in the car. It's a street car. My best friend and I always wanted to do this, he is fighting cancer now, and it struck me hard. Feel like we need to do this before we can not. Just got to come up with some $$ for the roll bar and of course new drag radials.

Do you guys tow a trailer or just stuff the car full??

TheSilverBuick 09-21-2018 06:01 PM

Too far east for me. If I can fit the tires in the trunk I prefer going without a trailer, but with the Firebird's lack of trunk space a small utility trailer works well. Only thing in the cab of the car is suitcase, ice chest and backpack.

Hooter 09-21-2018 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I pull a homemade trailer.

Bud Lyons 09-22-2018 08:50 AM

So you’re not allowed to have a chase vehicle?

firechickenman 09-22-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPONT (Post 5934425)
Thanks for the tips! It is a hard decision for me because I need a roll bar to run, but do not want one in the car. It's a street car. My best friend and I always wanted to do this, he is fighting cancer now, and it struck me hard. Feel like we need to do this before we can not. Just got to come up with some $$ for the roll bar and of course new drag radials.

Do you guys tow a trailer or just stuff the car full??

What ET's does your car run? You could always sandbag to 11.50 if you don't wamt to put a bar in it. If your friend is healthy enough to handle it and has wanted to do Drag Week with you, my advice would be to do it sooner rather than later. It is really a great experiance whether you win anything or not.

We don't pull a trailer. Seems to be plenty of room in my trunk and back seat for everything we need (and don't need, lol) for the week.

firechickenman 09-22-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Lyons (Post 5934679)
So you’re not allowed to have a chase vehicle?

No support vehicles. Everything you need has to be carried in your race car or the trailer it's pulling.

firechickenman 09-22-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick (Post 5934463)
Too far east for me. If I can fit the tires in the trunk I prefer going without a trailer, but with the Firebird's lack of trunk space a small utility trailer works well. Only thing in the cab of the car is suitcase, ice chest and backpack.

It's only about 250 miles farther for us than this year. Only 10% more for you. 😉

JSPONT 09-22-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firechickenman (Post 5934680)
What ET's does your car run? You could always sandbag to 11.50 if you don't wamt to put a bar in it. If your friend is healthy enough to handle it and has wanted to do Drag Week with you, my advice would be to do it sooner rather than later. It is really a great experiance whether you win anything or not.

We don't pull a trailer. Seems to be plenty of room in my trunk and back seat for everything we need (and don't need, lol) for the week.

Depends on my boost level ;) Had it to the track 2 times and broke on the 1st run. I have an automatic in it now but have not been back to the track. The closest track is 3.5 hrs no traffic, last time it took 7 hrs to get home, it's a long day.
My plan is a high 9 second pass, but I think I need a license for that too.
Great info here Thanks!!

firechickenman 02-18-2019 02:51 PM

Anyone wanting in on the fun this year, registration is Saturday Feb. 23rd at 12:00 PM Eastern / 9:00 AM Pacific! It will sell out in minutes.! Here's the link to the article with all the registration info....

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-...ave-this-link/

455firebird1969 02-18-2019 03:05 PM

All good tracks, best of luck to everyone driving/racing this event. Do they let you pick the route between tracks? Or does everyone have to take the same route?

Rob B 02-18-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 (Post 5993394)
All good tracks, best of luck to everyone driving/racing this event. Do they let you pick the route between tracks? Or does everyone have to take the same route?

They set a course with specific checkpoints that you have to follow. Generally try to average out each day to about a 250 mile drive between the tracks. One day might be a shorter route and normally one of the others is a long route. 2 years ago we had to travel right at 300 miles between the tracks with all but maybe 10-15 miles of it on the interstate! It sucked!! They will run you all over the place and thru all kinds of towns and traffic and road conditions. You must follow the course or you can be disqualified, and yes, its policed.

BADDTA 02-18-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 5934588)
I pull a homemade trailer.

That’s just for the beer. Your not foolin’ anybody! LMAO

Brian

ta-69 02-21-2019 07:16 PM

How does the registration on Saturday work ? I want to make sure I get in.

firechickenman 02-21-2019 08:10 PM

Click on the link I posted in post #15 above. All the info you need is there. Basically, click on their registration link when it goes live, fill out all the info including payment (credit card) and hope you are one of the first 400 to complete it. If you don't get in, get on the wait list.