PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   93-02 Engine Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   LS1 Engine help ASAP (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834603)

Firedup6975 10-06-2019 04:36 PM

LS1 Engine help ASAP

5 Attachment(s)
Hey All, In need of advice, we currently have a 1999 WS6 TA, ripped apart the motor to find we threw a rod that shattered apart, it ruined the block and the cam. We are thinking there was a leaky head gasket which caused water to get in and create this catastrophe, what is the best route? Should we look for a complete LS1 motor and what is the normal price range? Or should we look into a short block and focus on buying new parts to put on it? Here are a few pics of what we are dealing with.

JSPONT 10-06-2019 05:46 PM

With the LS platform being so plentiful, I would around for a complete engine, not sure your budget, but Texas speed, Brian Tooley Racing are good sources for it what ever way you go.

Sirrotica 10-06-2019 11:08 PM

MA, a used LS1 engine is probably going to be the most economical way to go, also the most risky. Looks like a used LS1 goes for $2000-$2500 from a recycler with warranty.

If you buy a reman engine (short block or long block) you have no good core to turn in, so you'll be paying the core charge. Looks like GM no longer makes a new LS1 any longer, so buying new is out. Remans are a bit over $3000, then you're out the core charge because the block is scrap.

GM does sell a larger LS2 (6.0L), and an LS3 (6.2L), pretty expensive to buy a later model, larger displacement crate engine, near $7000, and up.

If it were me, I'd look for a used LS1 with a warranty like an auto wrecking yard. If you could hear it run you might try buying one from an individual, curbside warranty usually applies. The no warranty from an individual wouldn't bother me as long as I could hear it run. The LS series engines properly taken care of, run a bunch of miles. My LS2 has 140,000 and runs like new in my 05 GTO. I've heard many go over 300,000 miles with good care.

Camaro, T/A, and Corvette used them until 2005 when they upsized to the 6.0L LS2.

As difficult as it is to R&R the engine, you want it right the first time, doing it twice with a bad engine would really suck.

Firedup6975 10-07-2019 09:52 AM

This car had no tell signs of anything wrong, no taps, no nothing! In fact it sounded perfect until....... she turned the key, it made a very subtle rattling noise and shut itself down. Unbelievable that it wasn’t a loud angry sound with all this destruction seen when we opened it up. It was literally like 5 seconds after she turned the key this happened.

Firedup6975 10-07-2019 10:52 AM

This car had no tell signs of anything wrong, no taps, no nothing! In fact it sounded perfect until....... she turned the key, it made a very subtle rattling noise and shut itself down. Unbelievable that it wasn’t a loud angry sound with all this destruction seen when we opened it up. It was literally like 5 seconds after she turned the key this happened.

4dblnkldude 10-07-2019 05:55 PM

There is a guy in the southern part of the county here. Contemporary Corvette, dudes name is Ron and they have tons of LS, LT, and other late model stuff if that's the route you go. Saves on shipping and at least you deal face to face.

Firedup6975 10-08-2019 09:24 AM

LS Engine up date

LS ENGINE, Miranda’s WS6 TA .....UP DATE!

First of all, thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Miranda found a motor on a site called LSX. All rebuilt, with a small up grade to increase the HP. We saw a video of it running. 6,000 miles on the rebuild. Mike spoke to the guy on the phone and asked him a ton of questions, the guy is 50 years old, him and his Brother are very knowledgeable about these motors, this one should fit right in and be able to use the current wiring harness. We will have to send the computer out to get re set, and he has a guy that did one for him. It’s located about an hour away in New Jersey near Trenton, and Mike and Miranda will be going Saturday to hopefully bring it home. :D

Rocky Rotella 11-07-2019 01:42 PM

Glad to hear that a solution was found, but I'm curious to know if the Trans Am in question was washed recently or if it sat out in the rain before the damage occurred?

LS1-powered F-bodies have the tendency to leak at the hood-to-cowl seal and that lets water pool in the valley. Sometimes water can slip past the intake manifold gasket (as they compress with age) and get pulled into the intake port at startup. An otherwise perfectly running engine can hydro-lock in an instant.