PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Glove Box Switch 69 gto (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838142)

kyle_blake 02-19-2020 03:33 PM

Glove Box Switch 69 gto

Hi,

I have a glove box switch that depresses when you close the lid. I just have no idea what it is suppose to do activate?

Dome light?

Maybe the glove box came with a light originally?

Also does anyone know what the optical light thing is for the ashtray? I remember years ago hitting it and it broke.

67gtospud 02-19-2020 03:51 PM

That switch is for the glove box light. Not sure if 69 is the same style as 67 but if so the bulb goes into the back of the switch.

kyle_blake 02-19-2020 04:58 PM

Ok I'll go inspect it a little further the switch, thanks.

MrWrestlingII 02-19-2020 05:53 PM

Not sure about a 69, but on my 70 the glove box switch activates a bulb that’s under the dash just to the left of the glove box liner. There are two holes in the liner that allow light to come into the glove box. I have no idea why it was done this way.

torqhead 02-19-2020 06:15 PM

^^^ What he said. I've got a 69. To get to the bulb you have to pull the glove box liner out, you'll probably find it's burnt out if you don't see light to the left through the hole in the liner.

tjs72lemans 02-19-2020 06:51 PM

This is a good and timely thread. I also have the switch, but wondered what it does as I see no light in the box. Time to look under the dash since I also have the box out now. Thanks.

torqhead 02-19-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs72lemans (Post 6112449)
This is a good and timely thread. I also have the switch, but wondered what it does as I see no light in the box. Time to look under the dash since I also have the box out now. Thanks.

The push switch and socket for the bulb are all one unit, when you pull out the glove box insert you'll see it.

dataway 02-19-2020 08:25 PM

The optical cable for the ashtray leads to a bulb on the instrument panel PC board. It transmits light from the bulb on the PC board to the ashtray. It's made of an glass "optic fiber" that transmits light. All the rage back in the late 60's and 70's.

kyle_blake 02-21-2020 03:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,

So when i bought my car the glove box liner had a massive crack and papers would fall down. I kept it for kicks. Went to look at it. I see one hole open on the side where the switch is. I check at the back and you can see an indentation where another hole could be drilled.

I bought another glove box liner, and this one had a "trunk release" green switch in one of the hole's! ( forgot which one ) and the other hole was empty.

So the factory must of just drilled out if required , depending on option.

I took a pic of the switch front and back. All I see on the back side of the switch is a long spring. I don't really see how a bulb could go in there? i'll look again , i wonder what bulb id it is?

Anyone have a picture?

Thanks for optic wire answer, I'll look for that wire!

kyle_blake 02-21-2020 05:58 PM

Go figure , look what I found.

https://www.opgi.com/interior-access...y-gl10950.html

I'm going to look at my again.

kyle_blake 02-21-2020 06:25 PM

And to conclude, I found the dead bulb in my tool chest, G.E. 1891!

Onward and upwards! Now go find that bulb at a store!

ramairthreegto 02-21-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torqhead (Post 6112435)
^^^ What he said. I've got a 69. To get to the bulb you have to pull the glove box liner out, you'll probably find it's burnt out if you don't see light to the left through the hole in the liner.

Exactly.

Ram Air IV Jack 02-24-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torqhead (Post 6112435)

No!!! That switch pops out without taking any liner out. Put a screwdriver or flat blade tool under the switch and it should pop out far enough to change the bulb!! There was a factory repair on this as well. My first Judge, the glove box lamp wouldn't shut off once the door lid was closed. The factory repair for that was to place an O ring between the switch and glove box liner. This would bring the switch closer to the glove box lid and depress the switch enough to shut it off.

kyle_blake 02-24-2020 01:55 PM

Yah the switch lives outside the liner, i can see why you couldn't just reach up there and change it or you are right push the tabs together so switch comes forward and change it, should be enough length of wire for that. I'll double check and confirm for everyone, every time I floor my car the glove box lid flies open. That's next on the list. LOL

kyle_blake 02-24-2020 04:26 PM

pics

1 Attachment(s)
yup you could reach up and push the tabs in so it pops forward.

kyle_blake 03-04-2020 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so listen, don't push the switch out off it's metal grounding. make sure you push the front of switch so it doesn't come out. then try insert the bulb at back.. trust me how i know, spark spark and 20 amp fuse went.

oh the optical wire, i followed to the end of it and it wasn't attached up to the cluster.

the weird thing is the cluster has every light hole filled, some mechanic must of just had an extra one day? I assume I just remove one of the normal light black plastic and put this end in there. I can't see it being a special hole on the circuit board? gonna try tomorrow. hope this helps someone.

just found this thread which i will review, looks like someone says where it is suppose to go!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...66#post5302466

kyle_blake 03-09-2020 01:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just wanted to say I got the optical light working and the bulb in gauge cluster.

here is a pic of both ( std gauge cluster )