PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Interior Updates (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840499)

JLMounce 05-09-2020 10:44 PM

Interior Updates

2 Attachment(s)
It’s been a bit slow going due to the pandemic, but I’m finally at the point that I can start putting my interior back together. I’ve done a complete color change from dark green to black, so literally everything had to come out.

I received my seats back from the upholsterer about a week and a half ago. Tonight I finished the rebuild in my dash.

I used SEM Landau black for the plastic surfaces, reworked the chrome trim using a chrome paint pen , which really impressed me and built a radio delete plate where the EFI controller will mount on a swivel. Additionally added new LED’s to the gauge cluster.

I’m really looking forward to having this done. It’s been too nice lately to have the car stuck in the garage.

vertigto 05-10-2020 03:55 PM

Really nice job. Did you use adhesion promoter with the SEM on the hard plastic parts?

JLMounce 05-10-2020 04:51 PM

I didn’t. I scuffed with a red scotch brite pad, then wiped with acetone, let it dry and shot it. It laid down really even and stuck instantly. Took three light coats to cover the green.

The soft goods that are getting painted will have the adhesion promoter on it.

vertigto 05-10-2020 08:56 PM

Interesting.

The SEM regional sales rep said no adhesion promoter needed on soft/hard, but their tech department says adhesion promoter on both and different ones depending how they react to acetone (melt or not). Not sure what to believe and/or why there isn't one that's safe/wiorks on both, since I have the entire interior to do.

Hate overthinking this stuff.

JLMounce 05-10-2020 11:31 PM

Granted I haven’t put this stuff in service yet, but I have zero indication that there’s an adhesion issue going on without the promoter in use.

I’m not a professional painter, but I’ve rattle can’d enough stuff to be able to tell pretty quickly if there’s an adhesion problem.

JLMounce 05-30-2020 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more updates. The dash is pretty much wrapped up. Some minor touch up to do but it’s otherwise back in and color changed. Also started working on the floor treatment. Dynamat custom cut is in and took all of about 40 minutes to complete.

Did a new dash harness behind the dash as well. The original was hacked up from previous owners.

I need to get the roof insulation and wheel on by Tuesday evening so the car can go to the upholsterer for headliner on Wednesday.

Attachment 541397

Attachment 541398

Attachment 541399

rambow 06-03-2020 01:00 PM

Nice work!
I did the same interior color change over to black last year... it was a lot more work than I thought it would be!

Worth it though! Much better than the Ivy Gold (green/gold) i had before. Blech!

JLMounce 06-28-2020 12:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
98% complete at this point. I have three items left. New sun visor hardware to mount those as well as hardware for the arm rests and I need to figure out a light solution for the dome. Nobody has terminals that I can find so I’ll need to figure out something else there.

The before and after is hilarious.

Attachment 543631

Attachment 543632

Attachment 543633

Attachment 543634

tempest1964 06-29-2020 04:16 PM

Very nice work Jason. Looks awesome!

JLMounce 06-30-2020 10:36 AM

Appreciate it! It's not show quality by any means, but it's so much nicer to be in then with the 50 year old fading green interior. Just need those couple last pieces and I can cross the whole thing off the to-do list.

I haven't tallied up the entire cost yet, but between major and misc. parts as well as the labor that I had done on certain things, it looks like I'm right around $4000.00. Probably just a little shy on the whole deal.

I have spent a bit of time driving the car around the past couple days and the combination of they dynamat and the under carpet lite is a fantastic combination. The car no longer thuds or clanks at all and even in mid 90 degree heat the cabin is staying much cooler.

I haven't driven it with the windows up yet so I can't really comment on total decibel reduction from all the treatment I did, but just the observed changes in how the car feels on the road is worth the couple hundred to do that.