PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Vacuum Canister (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840614)

Brewster 05-13-2020 04:07 PM

Vacuum Canister

Does anyone have an original canister they can post a picture of and is there a difference between 68 and 69 ?
Thanks

kk68 05-14-2020 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a fenderless photo where you can see my original canister mounted on the inner fender well. This is an Arlington built car. This one has 8 ribs. There may be other versions with more or less ribs based on factory and supplier. I think there was an old thread about this.

Va68goat 05-14-2020 09:49 PM

Vacuum can

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the vacuum can off my 68 GTO. I'm not actually using it because I'm using a Leeds vacuum pump to run the hideaway headlights.
https://leedbrakes.com/i-23439163-el...it-series.html

Brewster 05-14-2020 10:35 PM

Thanks guys! My car is an Arlington build too with a late June date. Will find the 8 rib to use for my build. Appreciate the help and info.
Thanks, Brew

68gtoMN 05-19-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
54,xxx original. Pontiac car. 03c build date 8-rib vacuum canister.

68ragtop 05-20-2020 09:56 PM

My January 68 Pontiac MI built has the 8 rib with the space in the middle just like the other two above.

68ragtop 05-22-2020 07:14 AM

Or should I say had........ I still have it, but its a leaker that I could not repair without it looking like heck, so I bought a incorrect looking repop in the hopes I find an original, or a correctly made repop someday.

dataway 05-22-2020 09:21 AM

Of all the reproductions out there that ARE correct, you wouldn't think a freakin tin can with the right ribs in it would be a problem to make. They should talk to a coffee company or something, maybe they could help.

68ragtop 05-23-2020 06:42 AM

Truth be told, I felt the same way & was trying to fix mine, but rust from the inside out kept causing pinholes.
Sooooo, while searching for a replacement I noticed that OPG was the only seller that had the correct looking ribs, but nearly twice the price.
Then they had their "Christmas special" which brought the price a little closer to competitive & I decided to purchase it.
When I got it, I found out it was the exact same as the one every else was selling, just more money.
Called & they would allow me to return it, but after shipping costs I would have the same price as it would be anywhere so I just kept it.
Gave them my opinion & not too long after they changed their pictures to match what they are selling.
Buyer beware ;)

Brewster 05-23-2020 07:22 AM

Yes, its like the one on ebay by joparts or well you know their name. They wont reply when asked if it leaks or has pin holes...?? so imagine it does. Nothing worse then a seller that wont rep the product that they are selling. Buyer be aware on that one too.

Brewster 05-25-2020 12:16 PM

Was the four ribber before the eight or just different mfg? I found a 4 ribber but hate to use the wrong part(s). Thanks

brians 05-25-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6143469)
Of all the reproductions out there that ARE correct, you wouldn't think a freakin tin can with the right ribs in it would be a problem to make. They should talk to a coffee company or something, maybe they could help.

You would not believe how many thousands they want you to purchase to create a custom can.

dataway 05-25-2020 09:55 PM

You'd think with modern CNC rolling equipment and desktop to factory prototyping it would only be a couple hundred bucks setup fee.

rasilverbird 06-02-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68ragtop (Post 6143746)
Truth be told, I felt the same way & was trying to fix mine, but rust from the inside out kept causing pinholes.

For the guys that have pinholes, this stuff works great

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer

It requires prep work with other POR 15 products, so read the instructions first. If you don't have any large holes, I would give this a shot.

Greg Reid 06-03-2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasilverbird (Post 6146833)
For the guys that have pinholes, this stuff works great

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer

It requires prep work with other POR 15 products, so read the instructions first. If you don't have any large holes, I would give this a shot.

Doesn't it seal from the inside? How would you get it into the vacuum can? It only has a little 1/8" or so diameter tube and that's the only opening.

68ragtop 06-03-2020 05:49 AM

My orignal looked decent until I bead blasted the paint. Ventilated it around some of the seams. I used JB weld from the outside & figured it would not be visible from the way its mounted, but I kept chasing little pinholes & I gave up. Not sure how you would get POR15 inside. The stuff is pretty thin, but that is a small vacuum port. Possibly a small funnel on a vacuum tube, then stick a wd40 straw through to let the air escape the container as it goes in? Might not be enough room to do that, but maybe?

Held for Ransom 06-05-2020 09:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't imagine trying to gas tank seal/Por-15 the inside.

Brew, yours is a '69, right? Anyone let you know on that year?

Brewster 06-05-2020 11:08 AM

Yes, and an Arlington car at that. According to my findings the 4 rib can was for 68 and the 8 rib can for 69. I found a killer 4 ribber but still need a usable 8. Is that one available Ransom? Let me know since Im in your area monthly.
Thanks, Brew
Happy Friday!

kk68 06-05-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 6147838)
Yes, and an Arlington car at that. According to my findings the 4 rib can was for 68 and the 8 rib can for 69. I found a killer 4 ribber but still need a usable 8. Is that one available Ransom? Let me know since Im in your area monthly.
Thanks, Brew
Happy Friday!

My 68 is Arlington built 04C and has the 8 rib vacuum can. I would guess that the 8 rib versus 4 has more to do with assembly plant and vendor source than 68 vs 69, but I have no definitive knowledge.

north 06-05-2020 02:13 PM

I looked at my 69’s, past and present (Photos on past cars)... all cars were-are survivors, all California built and all 5 are 4 rib. Two are oct 68 build, one is feb 69, one is April, and July. I do have an 8 rib from a spare 69 hideaway setup, not sure where it was built but probably Baltimore (almost all the local cars here were).