PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Opinion on SCAT RODS Now Offered By Butler?? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416204)

Ponti 02-27-2002 06:19 PM

I called Butler yesterday to get a stroker kit. Dave Butler says he no longer sells the Eagle rods, but now sells Scat Rods instead for $499.

I haven't heard much about Scat Rods. Any of you use them... and any pros or cons to them? Are they an upgrade or downgrade from Eagle?? Thanks

Ponti 02-27-2002 06:19 PM

I called Butler yesterday to get a stroker kit. Dave Butler says he no longer sells the Eagle rods, but now sells Scat Rods instead for $499.

I haven't heard much about Scat Rods. Any of you use them... and any pros or cons to them? Are they an upgrade or downgrade from Eagle?? Thanks

SCOTT ESTERLE 02-27-2002 09:29 PM

I am doing the stroker also & i purchased the Scat rods & i don't see any problems with them the dimensions were right on. I haven't used them yet but we sell them at Summit under the Summit engine shop name & we have been for years with no problems.

Larry Navarro 02-28-2002 10:02 PM

hmmm...butler not selling eagle rods???? ....hmmm....JBP isn't the sole source for the eagle crank anymore, either.
wasn't that a deal he and eagle made up front?
could be cause for serious discussion. :eek:

David Holmberg 02-28-2002 10:10 PM

I think the change of part Co's goes along with the change of ownership of JBP. I don't think it says there is anything wrong with Eagle's parts.

New money behind the Company = new ideas and deals.

Robert Williams 02-28-2002 10:21 PM

The Eagle and Butler deal is over. Soon if not now, the Pontiac Eagle Crankshafts will be available from any Eagle dealer.

Jack Ferris 02-28-2002 11:03 PM

Ok so whats the difference between a SCAT and a CAT rod other than the "S" is missing? What about the ProLine or Protorque(not sure if those are right). To me the SCAT and Eagle's look the same.

Ponti 03-01-2002 04:15 AM

-What do you guys think? Go with Scat? What about Crower rods or Eagle?

-I'm using Ross flat top pistons and Eagle crank...should I select a pressed fit or bushed rod for this application. Street/strip use?

-Do you guys know the website address for vendors: Eagle, Oliver and Scat??? Gracias Amigos

WARPed 03-01-2002 07:02 AM

you want a bushed rod.

Jeff Kinsler 03-01-2002 08:40 PM

I was told from a good machine shop near me that from his experience he does not like eagle or scat rods because he says they "move to much". Bearings out of one 455 with eagles looked no so good ,then he put crowers in them and noticed a big difference. Scats are only good to around 600 h.p. from what I've heard. It all depends on the amount of power your making and the amount of money you can spend.
see ya

berrygoat 03-01-2002 10:10 PM

My experience with 6.80 Eagle rods on a chasis dyno is 6400 RPM's in a 455. The engine stopped making power above 6000 due to the heads. Last I checked, no holes in the block !!!

Jack Ferris 03-02-2002 02:53 AM

Reher Morrison use Eagle rods is a lot of thier big blocks. I also know several people that use Scat rods in big and small block applications and I know for a fact these motors see much more rpm than Pontiacs.
Badbird- What do you mean by the rods moving to much?
An Eagle rod is rated around 850 hp with a standard rod bolt and 1000 with the ARP2000 upgrade. Whats the difference between a Scat and an Eagle rod???

Tom Vaught 03-02-2002 01:07 PM

My experience with Eagle rods was with Marty Palbykin's 1600+ horsepower 400 cubic inch Twin
Turbo motor. He ran 7500 rpm with Eagle rods and
had no bearing or rod issues. Maybe The engine builder meant that with the motors "He" built the rods "moved" from the inside of the block to the outside of the block. Tom V.

Jack Ferris 03-02-2002 02:35 PM

Tom- Marty told me he has broken Oliver rods but never an Eagle.

Jeff Kinsler 03-03-2002 10:38 AM

Hi, he said that they distort alot. It could be he just doesn't like eagle stuff there are guys that just don't like them. Another buddy of mine has a 406 with a YS vortech supercharger and was spinning it to 6800 - 7000 RPM and never had a problem either, everytime he took them back to the same guy he said "are you still going to use these junk rods", Tory had them checked and they were right on specs for the last three years.
Sorry for the confusion earlier.
see ya

WARPed 03-03-2002 11:41 AM

You will find that most shops that don’t like them want you to use their “superior” line of rods. In most cases they haven’t worked directly with the product enough and are going off of hearsay.

Jack Ferris 03-03-2002 03:00 PM

Out here in Salt Lake most of the machine shops are Crower or Scat dealers. My guess is if rods are breaking there's more to the problem than just the rod.

Cobrabill 03-03-2002 05:58 PM

If the rods are coming from Scat,there will be no QC issues.

Hey Jack-your property value just went down last week.I'm in Orem.

BVR421 03-03-2002 11:22 PM

Cobra Bill you must have left the door open when you went north. Its been a dry cold all weekend.

Jack Ferris 03-04-2002 08:58 PM

Oh crap I guess my house is for sale. LOL Im not to far from ya Bill. About 30 miles. Are you there for good?