PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   OHC-6 TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=496)
-   -   CAMS where are they (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684826)

GTOWAGON 12-21-2011 06:10 PM

CAMS where are they

I am looking for a cam for the engine I am doing does anybody have a source or have something they would like to sell. NOT looking for stock cams looking for Hi PO versions. Would also be interested in a cam blank if anyone has one

TheSilverBuick 12-21-2011 06:44 PM

My understanding is all hi-po cams are re-grinds. And with regrinds, it's not a simple stick it in and run it. Valve stem length has to be changed (lengthen?) for the change in the base circle (reduced). Similarly to changing push rod lengths in a V8. Either new valves installed, valve caps installed, or the actual cam housing milled down.

You may know this, but I figured it worth mentioning.

boater bill 12-21-2011 09:57 PM

I've heard you can also install a washer under the lifter to make up the difference in the cam base circle.
The trick with a regrind is having it done on a machine with a 6" grinding wheel instead of the typical 12" wheel. You should take advantage of the "hollow flank" Mac designed into the cam to have the quick opening ramps.

Cammer-6 12-22-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boater bill (Post 4500140)
I've heard you can also install a washer under the lifter to make up the difference in the cam base circle.
The trick with a regrind is having it done on a machine with a 6" grinding wheel instead of the typical 12" wheel. You should take advantage of the "hollow flank" Mac designed into the cam to have the quick opening ramps.

you need to space both ends not just the lash adjuster

TheSilverBuick 12-22-2011 11:44 AM

^^That makes sense, I didn't think of the lash adjuster side. I'm still trying mentally to wrap my head around the geometry changes.

steve v 12-22-2011 01:42 PM

Can UltraDyne grind one up from a billet blank?

Cammer-6 12-22-2011 06:10 PM

Heres what I was told by Crane Cams 30 + yrs ago.
Billet isnt cheap(at least $1k for the first one)
would need to make it a roller because billet and followers arent compatible
and my 2 cents
would be better to make oiling a spray bar so would need to seal both intake and exhaust stems real good.

PMD1969 12-23-2011 03:41 PM

Are there any factory "H" cams out there? If so, why is it that someone doesn't take one and have it repopped?

There's gotta be a market for it since I see so many upgrading to a Sprint.

I am not sure what the price point would be but I would scrape my pennies together to buy a couple.

sprintbird 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Basically No. Only E cam profiles available or regrind a core to bigger specs. I know Cammer 6 has checked into it and it is expensive to get tooled up to make cams. So that is your options for this 4 year engine. (little to no real market)

GTOWAGON 12-23-2011 03:55 PM

Best thing would be cam blanks with lots of material

PMD1969 12-23-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintbird (Post 4501712)
Basically No. Only E cam profiles available or regrind a core to bigger specs. I know Cammer 6 has checked into it and it is expensive to get tooled up to make cams. So that is your options for this 4 year engine. (little to no real market)

I remember from a few years ago that there was a real H factory cam that sold on Ebay. Can we guess that someone just simply used it? Anyway. Are the regrind H cams okay to use?

Cammer-6 12-23-2011 08:14 PM

I was having cams ground to H grind specs
I ran out of good cores and the cam grinder got silly with pricing.
Woodland had some cams cast but the foundry boobooed and used
1 bbl specs for the blanks so E grinds was all that could be done.
I was hoping for some blanks that were oversized but it didnt happen.

sprintbird 12-23-2011 08:15 PM

Why wouldn't they work? Regrinds and rare NOS were the only options up until a few years ago. Now we can get new E grinds from Kanter and Egge. You will have to compensate for a regrind as stated, but will work fine. I have a regrind H profile in my engine for what it is worth.

PMD1969 12-23-2011 10:57 PM

So the H cam specs are not available? All of this seems odd.

GTOWAGON 12-23-2011 11:15 PM

Specs for all factory cams are available the only problem is anything you have ground will be using a amaller base circle which will require valve trAin mods

Cammer-6 12-24-2011 09:25 AM

Kanter and Egge cams are whats left from the run that foundry did for Woodland
Rob where did you get the H regrind?

I think Crane and Crower can still regrind E grinds or H grind (with minor problems)

sprintbird 12-25-2011 12:37 AM

I believe it was Delta Camshaft out of Washington? State, but that was a few years ago. I will have to look through my paperwork to verify.

PMD1969 12-25-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOWAGON (Post 4502070)
Specs for all factory cams are available the only problem is anything you have ground will be using a amaller base circle which will require valve trAin mods

Price aside.

If I had the specs, the correct material and a shop that could CNC the cam, why can't they be made?

GTOWAGON 12-25-2011 10:46 PM

Cnc will only work for a billet cam this dosent work with the cam followers which would need to be roller. What you need are forged cam blanks all this is possible but can be cost prohibitive just a regring is going to be around 500 and that is if you have a good core

PMD1969 12-25-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOWAGON (Post 4503265)
Cnc will only work for a billet cam this dosent work with the cam followers which would need to be roller. What you need are forged cam blanks all this is possible but can be cost prohibitive just a regring is going to be around 500 and that is if you have a good core

So without monetary intervention this motor is dead