PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-79 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   New 68 wagon (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722991)

perryka 03-14-2013 08:54 PM

New 68 wagon

1 Attachment(s)
I've been looking at wagons for a while, and just
picked up this 68 Ventura 6 passenger. It didn't occur to me that the
Ventura package even came on wagons and I checked the factory brochures,
and sure enough it's in there. I've not seen another Ventura wagon
before.

There probably aren't specific numbers to break down how many wagons
were made with the Ventura option, but I'd be interested to know if this
is a relatively little-seen option on the full size wagons.

Anyway, it's my first wagon and I'm looking forward to having some fun
with it.

Alan

jwpontiacs 03-14-2013 09:07 PM

Cool!! We have a '67 Executive wagon we pull a pop up camper with.
Trust me, you will have a lot a fun in your wagon!!

importsmasher 03-14-2013 09:46 PM

Awesome car! Wagons rock. Like JWPontiacs, I also have a 67 Executive wagon. I have towed more cars with that thing than I can count!

Importsmasher

stevep 03-14-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwpontiacs (Post 4878152)
Cool!! We have a '67 Executive wagon we pull a pop up camper with.
Trust me, you will have a lot a fun in your wagon!!

I hope that you can bring it to the International Station Wagon Convention in Ft. Wayne this June!!

www.iswcstationwagon.org

jwpontiacs 03-14-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevep (Post 4878222)
I hope that you can bring it to the International Station Wagon Convention in Ft. Wayne this June!!

www.iswcstationwagon.org

Hoping to, seeing how I live 10 miles north of Ft.Wayne

jwpontiacs 03-14-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

www.iswcstationwagon.org

I see they will be going to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn.
This is a must see!!

muscle_collector 03-14-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

www.iswcstationwagon.org

that has got to be one very interesting convention.

mviker 04-02-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryka (Post 4878133)
I've been looking at wagons for a while, and just
picked up this 68 Ventura 6 passenger. It didn't occur to me that the
Ventura package even came on wagons and I checked the factory brochures,
and sure enough it's in there. I've not seen another Ventura wagon
before.

There probably aren't specific numbers to break down how many wagons
were made with the Ventura option, but I'd be interested to know if this
is a relatively little-seen option on the full size wagons.

Anyway, it's my first wagon and I'm looking forward to having some fun
with it.

Alan

Aha! So that's your latest beast. Great car Alan!

rustyrelic 04-02-2013 04:02 PM

what wheels are on that wagon?

Perryka,

Do you know the source of those wheels? Fullsize GM PU and/or SUV? Yr and model? Look pretty good.

marxjunk 04-02-2013 04:22 PM

i think the wheels are chevy or GMC van...

68lemansman 04-02-2013 04:51 PM

There is something about the old wagons that i really like! Good looking wagon you have!

perryka 04-02-2013 09:01 PM

Thanks, guys. Yes, the wagon bug bit me. Very fortunate to have found this one. Wanted one to carry the grandkids around in. And they're just so cool. It was just what I was looking for.

rustyrelic, the wheels are from a Chevy Astro van. They were on there when I got it, and will stay until I can get tires for the Rally IIs that will go on it. Eventually I'll probably sell them.

Kevin, yep, that's it. It's totally cool. Got something to work on when the GP gets done. Got parts left over from the GP project that will go right on it.

Alan

Engine-Ear 04-02-2013 09:08 PM

Not a fan of the wheels, personally, because rallye IIs (or 8 lugs!) simply belong there...but wow what an interesting find - a Ventura Safari! ...PHS ordered yet??

'68s are best-of-breed, IMO. All the modern under-skin junk plus all of the performance opportunity needed without a lot of messing around.

more pics, pah-leeze!

perryka 04-03-2013 09:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Matt, yes, agree on the wheels. I absolutely love 8-lugs, but I'd be starting totally from scratch and the cost is a bit prohibitive to get into those. Plus, I already have an extra set of 15x7 Rally IIs restored and ready to go, so that's where I'm headed first.

PHS is definitely on the list of things to do. I'll get that soon. I thought it was an interesting find as well. It was the Ventura thing that sold me on it, as well as several other positives.

More pics, as requested, sir.

Alan

barrierblue66 04-03-2013 09:43 AM

Great find! After many years with just a GTO, I'm having lots o' fun with my Safari. The wagon convention is a long haul for me, hope to make it once. Good luck with the Longroof!

Ben M. 04-03-2013 10:43 AM

I love it. Put an entire sheet of plywood in the back no problem! I still miss my '67 wagon and am hunting for another (I disagree with Matt, I think the '67 was the pinnacle of wagon styling with modern conventions ;-) ).

68lemansman 04-03-2013 10:58 AM

Is that original steering wheel? It just looks pretty small or maybe it's the angle of the pic.

perryka 04-03-2013 12:28 PM

steering wheel

Yep, that's the original steering wheel. It had one of those ginourmous thick cushion cover things on it. That was the FIRST thing to come off. The clear top part of the wheel has one of those fake leather laced wrap things on it, so I don't know the condition of that part of it. I haven't taken that off yet. I don't see or feel any big gaps in it, so it might still all be there, or it might be holding that section together, who knows. The lower half of the wheel is still in pretty decent shape though. It looks more normal with that big thick thing removed.

Alan

perryka 05-17-2013 09:04 PM

PHS

Just an update. Got the PHS in the mail today.

Unfortunately, no breakdown on the number of Venturas made. 21,848 2-seat Cat wagons made, which was 5% of total Cat production. So, no idea how many Ventura wagons were made; can't imagine it was a lot though.

One interesting option on it is the Ride and Handling Pkg (springs, shocks, & stabilizer bar). Anybody have any more info on exactly what that was in 1968? That one was a surprise, and glad to see it. Everything else agreed with what is still on the car.

Also, the dealer code is Zone 18, Dealer 093. Searched around a bit, but couldn't find that dealer number exactly. 091 and 092 are both in Alabama, so maybe it's a good guess that it was sold somewhere in Alabama.

Alan

Dave R 05-19-2013 01:18 AM

Nice Wagon! I like the pics of the seats folded down. The back seems to go on forever!