PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Do you drive your car for the way it was built? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810984)

goatless 10-22-2017 04:40 PM

Do you drive your car for the way it was built?

This is something that has always puzzled me- I see a car, whether it came from the factory or was hot rodded, that is built for speed, and it's just putzing down the road.

I just came back from a cruise in my Lemans 'vert on this beautiful, unusually warm October day, when I came upon a C7 'Vette... it was on a long straight, driving 10 MPH below the already stupid low posted speed limit. I kept thinking he was setting up to blast off, but no... he kept driving slower than my Grandma used to drive. :rolleyes: I know 'Vette guys are notorious for this, but there are so many out there. Last week I saw a winged and spoilered Shelby Special Edition late model Mustang with minivans and Prius and such backed up in a big line behind it.

It's not just performance car guys either, there are so many custom, lifted, big tired, fender flared,LED Lite barred, etc, etc. Jeeps running around here now that will never, ever see anything more than a gravel parking lot. And then there's the guys in the big diesel trucks that never put anything in the bed, let alone pull a trailer.

I guess some guys just need to have the bragging rights that they could do something?

72projectbird 10-22-2017 05:04 PM

I drive my cars to enjoy them. Sometimes I don't feel like driving my car like I stole it, even though it's built to take that kind of abuse. Same goes for my trucks. My F350 is lifted 6" and sitting on 37s, but I don't always take it offroad or beat the bag out of it.

I do get a laugh at the new Corvette owners who baby their car.

craigs69 10-22-2017 05:12 PM

I beat on mine like it owes me money.

JSPONT 10-22-2017 05:46 PM

I drive it like I stole it! Not all the time, but a lot. Someone pulls up next to me and it's on.

Stuart 10-22-2017 06:06 PM

So what if the Vette guy was driving slow? Maybe he was just enjoying a nice fall day and was looking at the leaves on the trees. Some days I want to go fast and some days I'm happy going slow, it just depends on how I feel that day.

goatless 10-22-2017 06:13 PM

I'm not suggesting you need to drive "balls out" everywhere, all the time. This guy today was driving 20 MPH below the normal pace of traffic... in a car that can go 185 MPH. :rolleyes:

I was actually driving pretty mellow because I had my pup in the car and I came up on him quick.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...39&oe=5A65F24E

gtokid1968 10-22-2017 06:53 PM

I drive mine like when I was a kid! Manual shift it most of the time and love the sound of a quadrajet with an open filter!
Now if the wife is with me I drive like an old man!
Just love the way it makes me feel!!!::

indymanjoe 10-22-2017 07:07 PM

I pound on mine all the time. Drive it everywhere. I did get a road bike this summer sooo the Lemans didn't get driven that much. I just assume whoever is driving slow is just out for a leisurely cruise. Or just ate a huge meal lol

NBF823 10-22-2017 07:28 PM

The dash shook at 100, it plowed like it was hooked on a rail, and sometimes it would fishtail nicely, but more of a burnout showy type fishtail, not the kind you would carry for getting there faster.

I drove like a butt head. I think I hit 100mph every day for a pretty long period in my teens. I wonder how many people have actually drove more at 100+, probably not most of them. I have several memories of friends hitting 100, and thinking it was very dangerous because we spent an aweful long time at 80 and 90 mph.

I think that sums up if I drove it like it was intended.

I have a lot going on, so it's been super slow getting it back together. The intent is better; less pig plow, better spring rates, stiffer chassis, more predictable rear end, etc. it just needs to be sorted out better - sure, you can go fast in one, but it's not a symphony of speed, power, and cornering, more like crashing drum solos of power with a teen marching band of orchestration.

I don't blame new corvette drivers for going like grandma. There's just something about the way they cut loose that packs many when owners push their luck. Probably the big low prof rears give little warning and with a good bit of power, it's a power steer immediately, which leaves almost no kinetic perpinducular grip, so the rear going where ever the Corning force says it's going. Watch the oval track street drags - better off with an old Monte with some sticky rears. You can get there faster in a Vette, but when they loose it, they loose the car, literally.

I'm not sure what's actually built to go fast. It's a fine line between loose fast, and wrecked. I think most come from the factory with under steer for liability reasons.

Hikin Mike 10-22-2017 07:38 PM

Since my car is painted yellow, it's tough to drive it like you stole it all of the time. That said, when I left from Church this morning, I made sure there were no cobwebs in the exhaust...lol!

Mr_GTO 10-22-2017 07:40 PM

I have a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo 6spd manual and I drive it hard. Love getting the boost up and hammering down the highway and taking on/off ramps at double the legal speed. Fun times.

1965gp 10-22-2017 07:46 PM

I like ‘spirited’ driving and really do like driving fast but to be honest most of the time I might get a light burnout and and a second gear scratch at best. Won’t find me sliding around corners anymore - too expensive to fix.

Even in my 02 Hawk that has plenty of power I rarely get into anything that could be considered reckless.

That being said 10 mph below the speed limit in something that can obviously handle it is frustrating

goatless 10-22-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike (Post 5801021)
Since my car is painted yellow, it's tough to drive it like you stole it all of the time. !

I can relate. There is no sneaking around in this one! It's especially hard for me to be restrained behind the wheel- It handles great and it's so fun banging through the gears... and with a 3.08 rear, it's moving along pretty good when I wind it up! :eek:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0f&oe=5A63C487

cdrookie 10-22-2017 08:02 PM

i always figure if someone is at or below the speed limit on the interstate they are either on their phone, running drugs, or have no insurance/registration.

Hikin Mike 10-22-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatless (Post 5801032)
I can relate. There is no sneaking around in this one! It's especially hard for me to be restrained behind the wheel- It handles great and it's so fun banging through the gears... and with a 3.08 rear, it's moving along pretty good when I wind it up! :eek:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0f&oe=5A63C487

Nice!

My car handles well only in a straight line. No front sway bar and 15 x 3-1/2 rims in the front, it ain't going to turn on a dime...lol!

GT182 10-22-2017 08:09 PM

I like to cruise around with mine but..... I will let it loose and pound the gears at times. In a couple of places around here I'll wind it out and let off the gas just to hear those 2 Cherry Bombs bark and pop while dropping down off a hill. I get a lot of grins and thumbs up for that. And it has nothing to do with those airbrushed flames. LOL

AdamIsAdam 10-22-2017 08:59 PM

I have a Pontiac with a 469 stroker and a Muncie. It's a clone and obviously, not numbers matching. I drive the tires off it every chance I get. And I'd do that if it were a real GTO with all #'s matching goodies.

I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It's lifted and on 35's. It's got FULL skids and they are all VERY bent, banged and scratch up from REAL use. Hell, I even turned my tranny crossmember into a taco once. Replaced it with a VERY heft one.

I have a 3 series BMW with M-Sport suspension, RWD and a stick. Not a day goes by that I don't take a turn at a "brisk" pace, including about 2 hours ago on my way home, as I turned to my 14 year old and said "don't drive that fast."

Yup, I drive `em like they are meant to be driven.

Now, sometimes you'll find me in the right lane doing 55 in the Pontiac, but that's because it's more comfortable at 2,700RPM than 3,200. If I had different gears, I'd go faster. But I'm content knowing that from stop-light to light, I'M ON IT, ALL OUT, any time the mood strikes me.

If I had a brand new Vette or GT350, I may not always be blasting 180, but I'd NEVER be going 20 below the speed limit for sure.

I'm with you, drive them like they're meant to be driven.

Those lifted jeeps that have 35's or 37's but yet are low profile tires get me going most! They're not even good at being posers! Really? 20" rims and 30 series MUD TERRAIN tires? Do they even understand how stupid that is?

2002Z4CSS 10-22-2017 09:04 PM

I feel it's there for a reason! To put a smile on your face!!! You never know when you won't be able too.

codyyy 10-22-2017 09:47 PM

I’ve never brought anything fast on the road. Some day I might be able to afford that kind of speed though. The majority of Vette owners I see are usually older guys. I guess it makes sense not to speed in one although I would easily at least try to find a track somewhere close to race it.

imposter 10-22-2017 09:53 PM

i'll start wth the domestic guys, i think a lot of these guys are afraid of the power or breaking something, its the guys in the pickup trucks that drive like as##, every dumb a## wanna be hemi guys are all the same these trucks and chargers have exhausts louder than most open header race cars and the ford raptor guys are kind of pathetic as well and the older guys in the mustangs are a breed of there own
i think they buy hopped up trucks because there wives won't let them get muscle cars as for the lambo guys (there are quite a few by me) are suffering from..................SPS so being said i beat the snot out of my wifes X3 MSport whenever i get the chance as far as the tempest someone needs to make a traction control device cheaply but driving sideways is so much fun

and what are we considering older