PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-79 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   67 GP dash wiring help (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818913)

incommunicado 06-11-2018 10:47 AM

67 GP dash wiring help

4 Attachment(s)
I am in the final stages of putting the car back together after a total frame off. In the process, I added a ralley gauge set-up that the car didn't previously have.

The gauge set is all restored, and it came with the dash wiring harness. I still have the old gauge set and wiring harness to make comparisons. The one with gauges has an extra plug that "Y's" off app. 6 inches from the main plug at the ignition switch that the original did not have?

I tried cranking the engine for the first time and I got nothing. I put a jumper wire in the extra plug between the 2 purple wires and the engine will crank. The purple wire is the ignition start wire to the solenoid.

Does anyone know what this extra plug is for? I can find nothing in the factory manual nor in the wiring diagram(s) that I have.

Pic 1. Note extra plug with jumper wire on purple to pupple
Pic 2. Ignition switch with plug on far left and extra plug?
Pic 3. Same as 2
Pic 4. this is the original harness (with std lights Vs gauges), does not have extra plug?

incommunicado 06-15-2018 11:24 AM

67 GP wiring help

Anyone have any thoughts or guesses?

Old Goat 67 06-15-2018 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure that connector in first three pictures is for a console shifter car.

vidguy 06-18-2018 11:27 AM

I think Old Goat is right. And possibly that jumper you put in closes the shifter Neutral Safety switch.

incommunicado 06-20-2018 12:31 PM

67 GP wiring help

I guess that make sense for an auto console shift car?

I have to wonder though what the other connections are for? At lease 2 of them are "hot" with the ignition on.

Thanks again for all the help. I am trying real hard to get the car done in time for Norwalk. Anyone want to earn a few extra bucks and help me finish it up?

"QUICK-SILVER" 06-23-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incommunicado (Post 5896448)

I have to wonder though what the other connections are for? At lease 2 of them are "hot" with the ignition on.

The two purple wires are obviously for neutral safety switch.
Green is back-up lights. One of them should be hot with the key on.
One that looks gray would work with dash lights and be for shift indicator.
IDK about the other hot wire unless it went to TH400 kick down switch.

Clay

mr67gp 06-25-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incommunicado (Post 5896448)
I guess that make sense for an auto console shift car?

Thanks again for all the help. I am trying real hard to get the car done in time for Norwalk. Anyone want to earn a few extra bucks and help me finish it up?

If I were close I would be happy to stop by and help.

Old Goat 67 06-25-2018 10:31 AM

The two Purples are NSS which you have already figured out.
Two Greens are Back up light switch connections.
Grey is Shifter Indicator bulb lighting.
Orange is Console Glove box light power.

The two that should be hot at all times are one of the Green ones and the Orange, right?
Grey should only be hot with the lights on, and one of the Purple ones when switch is in start position.

incommunicado 06-25-2018 11:44 AM

67 GP wiring help

Many thanks for all the responses and you guys continue to be a huge help. I am getting closer to finishing this jigsaw puzzle.

incommunicado 11-06-2019 02:29 PM

Gauges are all working, one small problem, the ammeter reads backward? It reads negative when the engine is sped up? I double checked the alternator output and it is working properly. Any ideas?

"QUICK-SILVER" 11-06-2019 06:11 PM

If it's charging correctly, charge goes up with rpm increase, wires are reversed on the back of the guage. Or wires are swapped in the holes where the harness plugs into the car.

Clay