PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   What are the best Boots to wear on concrete floors to protect your back? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819912)

thepontiacman 07-10-2018 05:21 PM

What are the best Boots to wear on concrete floors to protect your back?

Wondering what brand and style boots members wear that cushions your step on concrete floors?

I have been wearing one brand for years and now it seems their quality has gone down and even their strings unravel. They do not last as long either. Having problem now after wearing almost a year.

Going to see if they do anything or not.

Tell me what Boots you like to wear on concrete floors.

May be making a change.

Thanks for any input!

ponchjoe 07-10-2018 05:49 PM

Custom fit orthodics in any boot will help your back

buds56 07-10-2018 06:21 PM

I've worn Redwings for at least 30 years, always liked the supersole at least for me they are comfortable, and last at least a year in a fairly rough environment.of concrete,asphalt and gravel.

( I walk a bit crooked and after a year they are worn to the side a bit)

I had a pair resoled once and they weren't too comfortable

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown

I buy a pair every fall
I still have some back issues, but think it's from the job

Gordon Church 07-10-2018 06:49 PM

Look into Blundstone 162 their steel toe line... very light, no break in period .Easy to put on, they feel like slippers.And they wear like nails!

68 Firebird 07-10-2018 07:18 PM

Redwings

Using them last 20 years. Will look at boodstonrbjust to compare and try something new.

indymanjoe 07-10-2018 08:04 PM

Pontiacman are you wearing merrells now?

mysticmissle 07-10-2018 08:12 PM

i love redwings and keens for safety shoes, there is a difference. I had a really comfy pair of knaaps too i think . Its kind of like helmets, whats your head worth or what is your future back/foot health worth?

thepontiacman 07-10-2018 08:37 PM

wolverine durashocks

66sprint6 07-10-2018 09:13 PM

I wear the Blundstones all of the time. It seems whatever I wear, my feet hurt after a while. But they’ve been consistently the best for me. I’ve been on my feet my whole career. The Red Wings are good but expensive. I used to wear Doc Martins and they were the best. Until one day they started making them in China and that was the end of that.

Murf 07-10-2018 09:24 PM

Best thing I ever did was to switch boots at lunch. Man it made all the difference in the world.
After a while I went to two different brands that I liked.The change up in feel worked wonders.

Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

judgethis 07-10-2018 09:40 PM

I used to wear Timberlines and Wolverines, but this past year I switched to Merrells. I wear them all day at work and home in the garage, so pretty much 12 hours a day, great boots.

Lightfoot 07-10-2018 09:43 PM

If you can find a place that sells millitary surpluss, Wellco is an extremely durable and comfortable boot. I don't work on concrete but I do a lot of hiking up and down granite ledges. The pair I'm currently wearing are going on three years old. They were called 'Air Force' boots, with a thick padded sole. They are pale green with a rough nap finish. I've had similar success with an Army desert boot (also Wellco).
I purchased them at Ocean States Job Lots, and they get in shipments once a year. Mostly odd sizes though, so you have to catch em when they first come in.

I use quality store bought orthodics to help keep my heals from getting sore.

cdrookie 07-10-2018 09:51 PM

Composite Red Wing King Toe with an sole insert is comfy for me but they won't pass through a metal detector. I then went with Carolina and they were comfy but hot. When I first saw Merrell was making safety boots I had to try a pair. As soon as I put my foot in one I know that was the boot for me. Unfortunately, after 6 months, they are already starting to wear, I'm not very hard on boots either. I liked Timberland Pro series for a few years but I tried on all the different ones my local boot store has(about 10) and they all felt terrible.

MUSLCAH 07-10-2018 10:09 PM

Been on concrete for ovah 42 years....and nothing but REDWING Boots with the Redwing kicked up insoles ...keeps my legs from getting sore. Been 30 years in Redwing boots...that’s my .02 cents...take it or leave it...And I get a new pair every 12 months,even if they look good,I toss them.

hurryinhoosier62 07-10-2018 10:10 PM

Preston, I used to wear a low rise work shoe that was made by New Balance. It was just like wearing athletic shoes. They’re sold under the brand name Dunham. I always bought two pairs and rotated them daily.

Half-Inch Stud 07-10-2018 10:23 PM

Footwear is a BIG DEAL.

Wellco, Merril, Redwing..i got to look into those because they sound good.

I like Iron Age. Great support.

I cannot stand for a long time. Yet i can walk around or "be up" and moving for a good long time.

I respond to a lot of heel, to be able to stand.

Low heel is a death march.

68 461 Bird 07-10-2018 10:29 PM

I work in a auto restoration shop where both owners have severe back problems and they swear by Sketcher HOLDREDGE ST work sneakers. They got relief from their back pain and very comfortable to wear. They talked me into getting a pair and I have been wearing mine for 7 months now. What a difference from wearing work boots working on concrete all day. I got mine at Kohls for $75 or close to it.

This is pulled from their website:

Rugged sporty style and comfort combine in the SKECHERS Work: Holdredge ST shoe. Leather, synthetic and mesh fabric upper in a lace up sporty casual steel toe work sneaker with Slip Resistant outsole. Memory Foam cushioned insole.

Details:
Steel Toe rated ASTM F2412/2413-2011 I/75 C/75 protection
Electrical Hazard (EH) Safe design
EH Safe rated ASTM 2412-2011
Slip Resistant outsole is oil resistant
Sole tested ASTM F1677-05 Mark II to meet or exceed a .5 coefficient even on wet and oily surfaces

Construction:
Lightly textured leather upper
Durable synthetic overlays at toe, heel and sides
Mesh fabric panels on toe, collar and sides for cooling effect
Lace up sporty casual comfort steel toe work sneaker oxford design
Stitching accents
Layered side overlays for added stability
Side S logo
Lace up front
Padded collar and tongue
Soft fabric shoe lining
Memory Foam cushioned comfort insole
Shock absorbing midsole
1 1/4 inch heel
Durable rubber slip resistant traction outsole

66sprint6 07-10-2018 11:44 PM

Ooo I like those. Too bad I couldn't wear them on my job sites. Most companies here have a 9" boot height policy and of course the puncture resistant plate in the sole. Still, I'd like to grab a pair just to have them. I didn't know that Merrell made work boots. I'll have to check those out. Good thread.

Lightfoot 07-10-2018 11:48 PM

I got a pair of Timberline Pro steel toe boots one time. They were decent once I got them broken in. I would have bought another pair after they wore out but I'd moved and couldn't find any. I don't think they would stand up to the punishment nearly as long as the Wellco do though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud;
I cannot stand for a long time. Yet i can walk around or "be up" and moving for a good long time.

Same here. I can't sit for terribly long either if my lower back has been down in the dumps.

MUSLCAH 07-11-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird (Post 5905467)
I work in a auto restoration shop where both owners have severe back problems and they swear by Sketcher HOLDREDGE ST work sneakers. They got relief from their back pain and very comfortable to wear. They talked me into getting a pair and I have been wearing mine for 7 months now. What a difference from wearing work boots working on concrete all day. I got mine at Kohls for $75 or close to it.

This is pulled from their website:

Rugged sporty style and comfort combine in the SKECHERS Work: Holdredge ST shoe. Leather, synthetic and mesh fabric upper in a lace up sporty casual steel toe work sneaker with Slip Resistant outsole. Memory Foam cushioned insole.

Details:
Steel Toe rated ASTM F2412/2413-2011 I/75 C/75 protection
Electrical Hazard (EH) Safe design
EH Safe rated ASTM 2412-2011
Slip Resistant outsole is oil resistant
Sole tested ASTM F1677-05 Mark II to meet or exceed a .5 coefficient even on wet and oily surfaces

Construction:
Lightly textured leather upper
Durable synthetic overlays at toe, heel and sides
Mesh fabric panels on toe, collar and sides for cooling effect
Lace up sporty casual comfort steel toe work sneaker oxford design
Stitching accents
Layered side overlays for added stability
Side S logo
Lace up front
Padded collar and tongue
Soft fabric shoe lining
Memory Foam cushioned comfort insole
Shock absorbing midsole
1 1/4 inch heel
Durable rubber slip resistant traction outsole

Do you put a higher work boot on when welding ?