PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tri-Power Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   tri-pwr cable bracket (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841661)

Tim66 06-20-2020 12:34 PM

tri-pwr cable bracket

Does anyone know if the tri pwr cable bracket is specific for 1966 tri pwr.I'm having an issue with my linkage too. I replaced the cable but it seems like my pedal doesn't fully open my secondary carbs neither.I noticed that I have to check my bushings in my pedal also.Thanks guys for all your help.
Tim

Dick Boneske 06-20-2020 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cable is not an issue if your center carb opens fully with the gas pedal. The end carbs are easily adjusted to open when the center carb is fully open. Additionally, on the '66 only, the center carb lever extension is adjustable by bending to achieve wide open throttle. It is best if you remove the extension (one bolt) to make this adjustment.

Do not change your cable until you confirm the above. PM me if you need further detail.

Tim66 06-20-2020 02:49 PM

tri-pwr bracket

Thanks Dick,I will do that.I have to spend some time on it to figure out where the
problem is.Working by myself so I need to get a brick to put on gas pedal,I'll get it someday.Thanks again,Tim.

Dick Boneske 06-20-2020 07:20 PM

You Should have two people do this so you know what "on the floor" is for the gas pedal. The bracket is not difficult to bend if you have a vise and an adjustable wrench.

gtorich 06-20-2020 08:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6152638)
You Should have two people do this so you know what "on the floor" is for the gas pedal. The bracket is not difficult to bend if you have a vise and an adjustable wrench.

Hey Dick, Rich here...……..true its not hard to bend, but no matter how much I bent it, the cable was really screwed up, bought the cable that was for a 66 tri power, ames doesn't sell the one with the 3 eye lets as far as I can see on the website.

Think I have the right bracket, the thing that was weird was the proper cable was only a hair longer than the 2 4 barrel cables I have.

I already have a nick in the plastic tube from the new cable, another $ 59 bucks down the drain. lol

I'll send you a email, maybe I can run down by you, and bring this cable with me to show you, it looks different than the one on you car.

Im thinking you run into problems doing this by hand, then when you use the actual gas pedal, yep, that's another story.

Rich

Tom Vaught 06-21-2020 09:49 AM

I always thought 64-65 cables were close on the TRI-Power Application and the 66 cable was different and had just the one hole vs three holes. But not a 1966 Tri-Power original carbs expert by any means. All of the 1966 intakes I ran carbs on had adapter plates and Holley carbs and filters.

Tom V.

60sstuff 06-21-2020 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim66 (Post 6152546)
Does anyone know if the tri pwr cable bracket is specific for 1966 tri-power

Tim66,

Yes, the 1966 throttle cable bracket is specific for the Tri-Power.

The factory part number on the bracket and in the MPC is #9783286.
Sometimes the number 4 was stamped first at the end and then the number 6 was stamped on top of it as shown below.

Chris.

60sstuff 06-21-2020 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6152768)
I always thought 64-65 cables were close on the TRI-Power Application and the 66 cable was different and had just the one hole vs three holes.

OEM Tri-Power throttle cables.

1964 - 3 holes at the end.
1965 - 1 hole at the end.
1966 - 1 hole at the end.

Chris.

Tim66 06-21-2020 12:06 PM

tri-pwr bracket

Thanks guys your the best,I know we'll figure it out.
Tim

Tom Vaught 06-21-2020 12:10 PM

THANKS! 60SSTUFF.

Apparently I need to pay more attention on the 1965 Tri-Power Intakes, but have never owned a 65 Tri-Power intake set-up. Learning every day.

Tom V.

Dick Boneske 06-21-2020 06:24 PM

Chris is correct. We got Rich's '66 squared away. He installed the cable from Ames, but did not get near full throttle. We bent the "adjustable" arm on the center carb bracket and attained full throttle.

gtorich 06-21-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6152941)
Chris is correct. We got Rich's '66 squared away. He installed the cable from Ames, but did not get near full throttle. We bent the "adjustable" arm on the center carb bracket and attained full throttle.

Thanks again Dick, seems you bend stuff way better than I do. lol

This new correct cable seems to be ok, looks different than what is posted on post 7 from 60" stuff...…….seems I might have

gtorich 06-21-2020 07:23 PM

Not sure what happened on that post...……….my bracket does not have the #"s on it, but its the same. Its hard to believe but seems like these cables are about a 1/8 or so in difference...……..the cable im replacing looks more like the one 60"s stuff has in post # 7.

Everything is working good now, so im leaving it alone. lol

Thanks for everyones help on this deal.

Rich

SD421 12-19-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6152941)

Hi Dick,
I’m trying to figure out exactly what you mean by “bending” the center carb to adjust it.
Could you post another pic pointing to what it is that you are referring to?
Thanks,
Don

Dick Boneske 12-19-2023 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at the center carb bracket with the curved bend and sturd with cotter pin. That portion of the bracket is designed to be bent to confirm to your throttle cable to allow wide open throttle and idle.

DM me if you need more detail.