PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   Radio advice needed (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867643)

BN 07-01-2023 05:44 PM

Radio advice needed

Have a 70 AM/FM Stereo that was refurbed a few years ago by a forum member. Finally got car put together and reception is terrible. Windshield with antenna in glass is new, extension that goes from cowl to radio is new also. Is there some way I can try some temporary antenna to make sure that's the problem w/o removing the radio? Car also has 8 Track and that sounds perfect. 70 GTO

Stuart 07-01-2023 06:03 PM

Those antennas built into the windshield were terrible for FM reception, my old '71 Catalina had one. I ended up putting a generic auto parts store fender mount antenna on the car.

For testing purposes, if you can reach the back side of the radio you should be able to temporarily plug in another antenna. Just hold it up out through the window, or even lay it on top of the dashboard to see if reception improves.

Also, the radio may have a trimmer screw on the back side that you can adjust to optimize reception.

HWYSTR455 07-02-2023 09:36 AM

My windshield antenna works great, pics up stations as far away as my GF's 2023 Toyota. But, I do have an aftermarket stereo....

I think the trim pots on the backs of early OE radios was for AM, but could be mistaken.

Bill Hanlon 07-02-2023 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 6437353)
I think the trim pots on the backs of early OE radios was for AM, but could be mistaken..

Your thinker is right.

tstroud 07-02-2023 11:09 PM

I also have a windshield antenna and an aftermarket radio. I’m in a fringe area and It works great.
I think the new radios have much better radio sensitivity than the old ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Formulabruce 07-03-2023 08:26 AM

The windshield plugs into adapter on the cowl, then the inside has its own short antenna cord to the radio, IS the window to cowl part attached?

BN 07-03-2023 08:39 AM

Yes window to cowl is new and attached at both ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor78 07-03-2023 08:51 AM

Have you tried unplugging the cable and using a cheap replacement aerial for testing reception?

BN 07-03-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor78 (Post 6437599)
Have you tried unplugging the cable and using a cheap replacement aerial for testing reception?

That’s the next move.

HWYSTR455 07-03-2023 11:28 AM

I think the radio side of cable actually has the cowl plug built into it, and the windshield wire plugs into it, but guess it depends on the car.

It's possible to get a bad out-of-box one of those, just to say. I had one in a plain white box, can't remember where I got it, but it was a DOA.

Radio ground is important too, depending on car, it's radio to dash steel core, steel core to body, it's possible that ground could be 'weak'.

Sadly, I'm still leaning towards the radio itself, sounds like you've tried everything else.

BN 07-03-2023 03:46 PM

I think you’re right. Still have to get and try a cheapie antenna. Most likely gonna have to remove radio and send in. A/c car, so not sure how much trouble removal will be. Ton of stuff crammed in those dashes…

HWYSTR455 07-03-2023 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not too bad, the lower duct section removed, there's an 'L' piece that goes up to the center vent that's a little tricky, but once you see it, you're good.

You might not have to even remove the center vent ducting, might be able to snake the radio out with it still there.

That stuff gets brittle over time, don't force anything.

tjs72lemans 07-04-2023 04:59 PM

If your testing this in your garage, that may also be an issue with reception. You may need to get the radio outdoors.

DavesGTO 07-04-2023 06:55 PM

Radio advice needed

Jim repaired my radio and it works great. Highly recommend him . Forget what he goes by here. Saw this posted on a Buick forum.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9fa525524e.jpg

BN 07-04-2023 07:29 PM

Yeah, that’s who fixed mine also. Gonna call him tomorrow.

BN 07-07-2023 07:06 PM

To update this. Talked to Jim and he said to try a coat hanger as a temp antenna. Did so, no luck-radio needs to go back….
Here’s what it took to remove.

* Removed glove box.
* Removed radio knobs, bezels and nuts.
* Removed side radio support bolt.
* Removed air conditioner lap duct piece
* had to remove 8 Track player so above piece would come out.
* Unplug wiring harness.
* Also removed ash tray and the support bracket, so I could get fingers in there to finagle radio.

All in all not too bad. AC cars are definitely a pain compared to non AC though.