PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   78 Trans AM Front Bumper Fiberglass Core Suppport to Horn Bracket Connection (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873242)

TacoTownCharlie 04-18-2024 06:33 PM

78 Trans AM Front Bumper Fiberglass Core Suppport to Horn Bracket Connection

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to use the somewhat triangular metal part that connects the center of the front bumper to the radiator support (via the car horn vertical bracket). I'm not sure I have the right bolt locations or if I'm using the correct type of bolts.

In the Front Bracket Right picture the two bolts I'm wondering about are facing the camera. It seems to me that the top bolt is not really attached to the horn support bracket - the hole in the bracket is too large. Should the bolt go through the center hole? Or is this a three bolt design?

I wanted to get this installed correctly. As I was working with it I feel like the position of the somewhat triangular support is adjustable on the horn support bracket. If this is adjustable, I' like to move the top bolt as close to the radiator as possible to that the top of the front bumper fascia moves slightly higher and closer to the hood (Hood to Bumper Gap picture).

So, do I have the right bolts and the right bolt positions? Is this the adjustment point to move the fascia closer to the hood?

Thanks in advance for any help :).

TacoTownCharlie

Attachment 632285

Attachment 632286

Attachment 632287

Yellow Bird 04-18-2024 07:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how the fatory bolts appear on my 77 T/A

TacoTownCharlie 04-18-2024 07:13 PM

Thanks, those pictures help. I think I might need those large washers. It looks they would overlap the top bolt cutout in the horn support bracket and provide a way to attach the two parts. Without that washer the bolt can just pass through the cutout. Time to check the parts bin :)
TTC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TacoTownCharlie 04-18-2024 07:14 PM

Thanks, those pictures help. I think I might need those large washers. It looks they would overlap the top bolt cutout in the horn support bracket and provide a way to attach the two parts. Without that washer the bolt can just pass through the cutout. Time to check the parts bin :)
TTC

TacoTownCharlie 04-18-2024 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, just to close this out, I was able to find some washers and get everything bolted together. Now that everything is nice and tight the front fascia now sits closer to the hood. The fascia sits a little low in the center compared to the left or right edge where it sits even.

I think this is as close as I'll get it an I'm going to call it a day before I break something :).

Thanks to Yellow Bird for the pictures!
TTC

Before:
Attachment 632295

After:
Attachment 632296

Red80TA 04-23-2024 05:09 AM

Yes, you need large washers to cover the holes they left for adjustment of the nose support bracket. I think the original 5/16" screws shown by Yellow Bird had the captive washer, but if you don't have that type then simply add large washers for clamping beyond holes.\

Also, does your nose cone cover have hex-head screws with washers holding it around the edge into the fibreglass support? Or it may have nylon push-pins if a replacement spare part? The screw type can be adjusted slightly to lift the cover to line up with hood, the push-pins are staying where they sit.

TacoTownCharlie 04-23-2024 07:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comment about the large washers. I found two and I think it really helps.

The nose cover has the hex-head screws (purchased from our Sponsor).

Attachment 632530

I still have a height gap in the center of the hood to the nose cover. It is almost even at the edges. I think I'll take a look at the bolts close to the center and see if I can't bring the nose up just a little bit more. Thanks for your comments.

Attachment 632531

Red80TA 04-23-2024 10:16 PM

That's them. There is minimal adjustment available by loosening a few of them and lifting nose cover to suit or straighten. Of course limited by hole clearance, can be enlarged, covered by washer. The fibreglass threads aren't strong so screw up firm only. It doesn't replace proper panel alignment, just tweaking.

You can also add a washer under the the radiator support to each location that mount the hood latch to bring it down in the centre, allowing hood flex to stay at existing corner heights.

TacoTownCharlie 04-24-2024 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Red80TA,
Thanks for the info about the nose cover hex screws. I adjusted them as much as I could. The height gap was ~ 4/10''

Attachment 632564

After I made my adjustments I brought it down by 1/10''

Attachment 632565

I'll take a look at adding a washer under the radiator support where the hood latch bracket attaches. That's a good idea, I'm sure that would have never occurred to me. :)

TacoTownCharlie 04-24-2024 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I added one washer under each of the three bolts that attach the hood release to the radiator core support. Two washers thick was too much - I couldn't get the hood to fully engage with the latch mechanism.

Attachment 632580

I think this is probably the best I can get it. I tell myself that this gap really doesn't bother me too much - my son and I had a little laugh this afternoon about Dad's obsessive tendencies :)

Big thanks to Yellow Bird for the initial help and to Red80TA for jumping in there with some really helpful suggestions.

See you on the road!