PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Trailer tire monitor? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873270)

Mike S 04-20-2024 06:28 PM

Trailer tire monitor?

Had a flat on the trailer this morning. Didn't know it till someone pulled next to me to tell me. Going 70 it destroyed the tire but didn't hurt the trailer. Looking for a pressure monitoring system for the trailer. Has anyone used one? which one? How do you like it?

OG68 04-20-2024 11:12 PM

Truck System Technologies. Added them to my Airstream over three years ago. Accurate and easy to install.

https://www.airgear.store/collection...your-airstream

Also available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=truck+sys..._ts-doa-p_2_13

beemergary 04-24-2024 08:28 PM

I would say they won't work for me. The last 9 outta 10 where blow outs and a couple did serious damage. Tire blows and then got 4+ feet of alligator flying around tearing off fender-destroying siding-etc. Most were with over weight capacity tires and not going over 65 mph.

Mike S 04-24-2024 11:00 PM

I just replaced all the tires. Went from a D load rated to an E load rated. The 24' enclosed trailer is close to being maxed out since I added the golf cart. Figured if I had to buy tires might as well upgrade for a few dollars more.

The tire that blew was from 2010. I bought the trailer used. It is a 2011 Halmark. I should have checked the year of the tires. It had a 2010, 2017, 2019, 2019 and the spare was 2010.

Keith Seymore 04-25-2024 07:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have to agree with Gary: most of the warning I get is the "boom" followed by the requisite beating the side of the trailer.

This is from coming back from Rockingham two weeks ago.

3 year old tire; E range rating; inflated properly, 65 mph.

I'm at my wit's end with this whole trailer tire situation.

Well - not just trailer tires. Tires in general.

K

Keith Seymore 04-25-2024 07:24 AM

BTW - I carry two spares.

You can imagine why.

K

chuckies76ta 04-25-2024 10:43 AM

These are suppose to be a good tire. I always run a load range E 10 ply tire, even on the 15" rims. New Trailer has 16" which automatically gets the E 10 ply.
Goodyear Endurance American-Made Trailer Tire:

hojs69 04-25-2024 11:30 AM

I always carry two spare tires in the trailer also. Relatively cheap "insurance."

Sirrotica 04-25-2024 11:33 AM

Although it's expensive, there is a aftermarket wheel that you can buy to convert your trailer axles to 19.5 medium duty truck tires. This about doubles your GVW rating on your tires.

You have to buy the conversion wheels with the trailer bolt pattern centers, and a 19.5 hoop. That allows you to put 14, or 16 ply, 19.5 inch tires on your trailer. The 19.5 tires typically come on medium duty Lo Pro trucks (roll backs, wreckers, Etc.) I have an old U Haul truck, and a chevy 3500HD box truck, that came with 19.5 tires, they're about as durable as an anvil, compared to the chinesium trailer tires available for trailers currently.

They offer a steel wheel, or a alloy wheel, that enable you to put the 19.5 tires of your current trailer axles.

Link to Boar Wheel site:

https://www.boarwheel.com/stop-trailer-tire-blowouts/

Yes, it's expensive to do the conversion, but so is taking off the side of your trailer with a blowout......:doh:

This company also offers a tire pressure monitoring system that can be installed on your trailer.

chuckies76ta 04-25-2024 11:54 AM

The trouble with putting any Truck tire on a trailer around here is DOT will make you take them off and go back to an ST tire. So I've been told. I looked into this years ago.

Sirrotica 04-25-2024 03:18 PM

I guess if your DOT has nothing better to do than check trailer tire codes on personal vehicles, then I wouldn't invest in it either. Having driven tractor trailer in Ohio from 2004 through 2012, I've never been checked on the semi I was driving, nor any of my personal vehicles, YMMV..........:noidea:

I know from my experiences, I'd much rather have the 19.5 tires on any car trailer, over the 16 inch ST tires.

I have seen equipment trailers that were equipped with 19.5 tires from the manufacturer, so there must be some workaround when selling them to the public. Boar has a toll free number, so you can check into the legality before you plunk down your money.

gman005 04-25-2024 04:23 PM

I had the same issue with my old 28' enclosed trailer. I ended up putting 16" wheels and the tallest tire I could fit in the wheel well. The thing I found that helped the most was to grease the axles 2 to 3 times a season. Keeping heat from the bearings away from the wheel is key. Heat from wheel and heat from the road not good for the tire. Just my experience.

chuckies76ta 04-25-2024 11:51 PM

Keeping heat from the bearings away from the wheel is key.

If your bearings are getting that hot, you have other problems.. Just saying.

Skip Fix 04-26-2024 03:50 PM

My last one that blew was only 2 years old and a trailer tire. We thought someone shot at us it was so loud! First outing for the Camaro/IA. I carry 2 spares after seeing a buddy have 2 blowouts going to the Dallas Pontiac event one year. Granted his tires were rough!
My trailer came with auto tires on it new!

Sirrotica 04-26-2024 06:07 PM

Airstream installs Michelin LT truck tires on their brand new trailers, so there must be a loophole to allow an LT designated tire to be used on trailers pulled on the road, as well as sold new.

Airstream has been the Cadillac of travel trailers for decades, so they have more experience than anyone that is currently spouting opinions on the net.

The video I watched showed the guy having his Airstream trailer getting 4 new LT Michelin tires installed at Discount Tire. If you've ever bought tires at Discount, they are sticklers about age of tires, whether a tire has an injury in a critical area that cant be repaired, ETC. I don't see Discount installing LT tires if it opened them to liability, or if DOT was going to make an issue of legality.

:2cents:

beemergary 04-27-2024 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 6499939)
BTW - I carry two spares.

You can imagine why.

K

Keith Couple yrs. ago had 3 blowouts coming just from US131. Carry two spares and needed 3. Got home monday. My 44yr. old travel trailer has had only one new set of tires and never a flat. There car tires. Those radial trailer tires are so thin and flimsly I just change them by hand. No more radials for me now.

Dave Polichena 04-29-2024 12:59 PM

I have the TST set up for the coach and trailer and love it. You get tire pressure and tire temperature readings. You would be amazed how much tires increase psi after a few hours.

My general rule is replace trailer tires every 3 years just from experience. I have ran LT tires and put 1,000's of miles on them without issue.