View Single Post
Old 05-24-2000, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have recently installed a 455 block and T400 into my '71 GT-37. This one should run mis-10's at 3600 lbs (662 HP/612 TQ). I bought solid motor mounts from Perf Yrs.After getting the motor, headers (2" hookers), and the T400 in, I found the back of the trans about 3/4" off center towards the drivers side. I could get the bolts to just go in the cross-member, but only with a huge amount of force from a large crowbar. After thinking about it all day, I decided to loosen the motor mount bolts, (long ones), the mount to engine block bolts, and the nuts holding the plates to the frame. I thought this would give me enough "slop" to get that 3/4' back so I wouldn't have to have a pre-torqued transmission. It didn't work. I maybe got 1/4" , so it still is about a half inch off. Is this critical??
Has anyone experienced this with solid mounts? Also, has anyone using solid mounts kept the stock rubber ends on the cross member, or should the rubbers be taken out and bolt the cross member directly to the frame? HELP_ I'M CONFUSED and so close to being done!!!!

------------------
GT37

10.09 @ 133