View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, I'm not talking Dave's port jobs, I know he does some flows it etc, I'm talking the normal port jobs from commercial shops out there. Most knowledgeable guys like Jim, Dave etc that have access to a flow bench usually spend ALOT more time doing their own stuff than a shop would. Most of us are pickier than a commercial shop on our own stuff, just look under your own hood and how nice it looks.

Yep the experimantation and tuning is what most of enjoy about the hobby. That's what gets the best out of every combination, some of like Dave and Jim are better than others of us. But bigger isn't always bad.Your hogged out D ports should then be really slow then, I think your mph shows they are working pretty good(get rid of that stick and times could be faster!) and Cliff's non posted small D ports were slower than his non ported bigger better flowing KREs.Shoot if you remember my little "big iron head port" RAIV 400ci Q jet HO intake ran pretty close to Lee's car when it had a 455 Torker II and a Holley.

Only a consistant combination like Jim's or Cliff's can tell us what a back to back swap can do, throw a little bigger cam in the equation in Jim's motor and the outcome may be different, the bigger heads may make a difference more either way, but that shifts the rpm range where Jim doesn't want to.

To even look at rpm ranges I believe Steve Coombs with a similar E head motor to mine but a larger(but conservative) street roller had a HP peak around 5700(correct me if I'm wrong Steve), my smaller flat tappet hydraulic peak HP was 6200, that doesn't equate with current theory either, smaller cam higher rpm peak? Variables!!!

Shoot even talking track time does the track prep the same? otherwise 60 fts can be way off. My last outing a drag bike racer was spinning at Sequin that has NEVER spun there before, and had no changes to the bike.