View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Smile Freedom of choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm1977
Alvin - Very nice, I like 15x8 a little more than 15x7. Gives them more depth.
How were they refinished? Painted only? Painted & cleared. Powder
coated & cleared? Can we get a little closer of a picture better
showing the color and detail.

To both of you - did you have your wheels media blasted first before refinishing or were they redone by any of those guys who remachine them. I recently purchased a set of really decent 15x8's after seeing how they looked on Brian Bakers car. They're in good enough shape and shine that I could mount tires on them now and not be embarassed. The recesses don't look like they've ever been painted. Did they ever come with a bare aluminum finish from the factory or were all painted or coated in some fashion. If they were/are painted it would look to be a very thin coat of argent silver. They definately not the gray painted that I've seen. I recently saw white 76 Lemans that had a set of 15x8s that had the recessed areas painted white. Can't say I didn't like it. Can't say I really liked it. Jury is still out. My choice is to leave it bare or to them refinished like both of yours with a grayish/silverish metallic type color and have the outside and lace areas remachined or polished before putting some type of clear coat on them.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the compliments. We enjoy them too - very low maintenance. This set of wheels was refinished by Wheels America. They started out as 4 wheels that I had collected over the years from junkyards (when you could still find such things there). I used this set to test there finished product...if they screwed up no harm, no foul right!!!? I didn't want to take the chance of them messing up on my OEM wheels. They cleaned them, blasted them, then painted them. THEN...I got a call from the guy behind the counter (while I was at work naturally) asking what color I wanted. I told him I wanted the factory Argent color just like I wrote on the service request slip, he didn't know what I was talking about, so after a lengthy call I told him dove grey, or whatever, just make them look good. After painting them, they lathed em and then powdercoated them clear. When I picked them up I was not so sure until I mounted the tires and put them on the car. Man, in the sunlight, midnight or regular light they look great! So now you understand my title - "Freedom of Choice". Don't let anyone else dictate to you what they should be. Do them the way they look best to you! At least your not using a set of Buick, Olds, or Ford wheels and calling them Rally II's. Personally I'm glad for the color on this set, the Argent centers were originally a Satin finish and if you put clear over them my personal opinion is that they won't look very good. I attached two smaller images per your request (hope it helpd you) - but the true color doesn't come out in the images, a light champagne metalic under the clear powdercoat. Very simular to the 80's Anniversary Corvette Champagne metallic paint. There all always plenty of experts. LOL. But Hey - life's too short. If you want to paint yours Gold, Green, Red or White, just do it and the heck with it. "Freedom of Choice"!!!!!!

Good luck to you no matter what you decide.

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WS6GA15smallfrt.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	61510   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS6GA16rearsml.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	61511  

Last edited by Alvin; 08-09-2006 at 11:05 PM.