View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I would suggest that you go to AMT Magazine and look for their wage and salary surveys. www.amtonline.com
From what I understand, you need 2 years of hands on experience working for a company doing aircraft maintenance in order to take the FAA A&P practical examination, if you do not go to a aircraft maintenance school. You have to have pay stubs to prove the employment and a logbook to prove what you have worked on.
From what I see, there is a demand for A&Ps, but the pay is low. General Aviation is being strangled by the high cost of fuel and insurance. There has been a decline in the flying hours by GA pilots. Hence less need for aircraft repair. Its like a flat spin, I don't know where it will bottom out. If the Federal Govt imposes user fees on GA, the coffin lid will close.
A lot of A&Ps I have known can't support themselves working on aircraft full time. Many become automotive technicians at dealerships where the pay is better and they can get medical benefits for themselves and their families.
Sorry to sound so pesimistic, but that is how I see it.
Mike