View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggy81
Good to know!
BTW, I did a search on HPP's website & couldn't find anything. Anyone know what month/year/issue? I would really like to read this & compare it to the other "kits".
It is in the june 2006 issue.

I found this link to it online:

http://rapidshare.com/files/54984618...rofit.PDF.html

As I said some of the info in the article is only partially correct. You can use the parts from either a 2WD truck or from a 4WD truck. The only difference between the two are the position of the calipers. For most this will not be an issue, but for 2nd gen F body owners, you have to be careful on what you buy.

The 4WD version puts the caliper on the Driver side at 11 o'clock (perfect for 2nd gen F-body) and puts the Passenger side at 2 o'clock (NOT perfect for 2nd gen f-body as it interferes with staggered shocks).

The 2WD version puts the Driver side at 2 o'clock (NOT perfect for 2nd gen f-body as it interferes with staggered shocks) and puts the Passenger side at 11 o'clock (perfect for 2nd gen F-body).

So for a 2nd gen F-body you will want to buy a DS 4WD kit and a PS 2WD kit. This will allow you to have the calipers in the correct position AND have the e-brake brackets facing toward front of car for easy hook up.

Alternatively, for a 2nd gen F-body, if you cannot find a DS 4WD plate and a PS 2WD plate at the scrap yard, and do not wish to buy new, but you can find multiple 4WD or multiple 2WD donors, you can use 2 DS 4WD plates, one on each side, or 2 PS 2WD plates. However one e-brake bracket will be facing to the rear of the car and will make hook-up harder. If you don't care about ebrakes, than this will not be of concern.

For all other cars besides 2nd gen F-bodies, or any other car that does not have staggered shocks like the f-body, then you can just find either a single 2wd donor or a 4WD donor and use both sides. The ebrakes will be in the correct position and the position of the calipers will not make any difference, except for asthetics.

Last edited by myckee; 09-11-2007 at 02:33 PM.