View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to add a little something here.....

I had ordered a p/s line from Ames Perf last year for $49. The line came in an unopened clear bag, with a seperate compartment for the 2 clips. Unfortunately, there was only 1 clip, and it had surface rust! Very disapppointing that the warehouse picker didn't notice the rust on the part, considering it was in a clear bag. At any rate, I decided to simply return the line because.....

I found the exact same line, with the same Ames part number, from Classic Industries for $29. The CI catalog showed the line with 2 clips (just like the photo shown above). I received the new line, and it was packaged exactly the same as the Ames version (same supplier). Lo and behold, it also had 1 clip. Grrrr....

So be cautious, and before you order one, have them actually pull the part, count the clips, and make sure there's no rust!

As a sidenote, I've seen some show winning 69 Birds and T/A's where the clips and hold down screws were painted black. I've also seen some other show winning Birds where the clips and screws were natural metal. I have seen 1 or 2 old 1969-era photos (I believe in one of the Firebird books), and even though those photos are b&w, it's obvious the clips and screws were natural metal color because they are a completely different shade than the radiator. Not sure if the clips and screws may have been painted at one plant and not the other, or if perhaps there was a production line change to use painted clips and screws to prevent rust.