View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Default '55-60 Block Dowel Locations

A PY member asked for help with dimensions of dowel pin locations on the rear of '55-60 blocks, so I took measurements off one of my Harvey Aluminum blocks, which are very accurate copies of a '60 Pontiac block. In fact, it's possible that PMD machined them, after Harvey cast them, using Pontiac mold patterns. I'll attach a sketch of my results.

Note the potential for tolerance-buildup, which could detract from the precision of the results. After sketching the layout, I searched my notes and found that I had instructed the machine shop to do a "skim cut" on the pan rails, so .005" is probably a good guess. I also found that my rear main clearance is a hair over .004", so the "+/- .0015" shown on the sketch for crank location should actually be +/- .002".

Rather than just sending this info to one person, I decided to make it available here, in case someone else might find it useful. Also- if anybody has actual block blueprints, it would be nice to post the blueprint, and delete this empirical stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block_dowels0001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	116040  

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}