View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 PEPPER GREEN View Post
I remember talking to a ppg dealer a year ago and said can you look up the 70 gm paint code for the dark green and i remember him saying the gm code is 48 and called forest green but the same color for all 70 gm divions

for 70 gto pepper green metalic number 48

70 chevell forest green metalic number 48

I wounder if the 70 chevelle and the 70 gto were 1970 side by side factory painted would bot be the exact color this i believe to be so and just trying to confirm as my 70 gto pepper green frame of is still a ways from paint

logic tells me they would

thanks

If I understand your post correctly, Yes.

In 1970 if you parked a 1970 Chevelle with exterior paint code 48 beside a 1970 GTO that was also code 48, they would look the same. Even though the two cars have different names for their color, it's the same color. There are no names on a data tag, only a paint code, and 48 is 48 is 48 (for that model year).

Today 38 years later if you parked those same two vehicles together it could be a different story (assuming they have been repainted or restored at some point). Yes ideally in a perfect world they would be the same, but may not be due to the brand of paint, type of paint, type or color of undercoat, etc etc. Many factors can affect the shade or color of a vehicle.

A couple good examples I see all the time. Pontiac 1970 code 26 Lucerne Blue Poly is a little different between PPG base/clear and Dupont Chroma base/clear. Also, I have seen several versions of 1970 Orbit Orange depending on what brand it is.